Sign in with
Your question

Gears of War PC

Last response: in Video Games
November 10, 2007 1:20:43 AM

I recently made the mistake of purchasing Gears of War for the PC. Not only does the game have severe performance issues when loading during gameplay, but it has deleted my game files twice now. I also own the 360 version so I know how it's supposed to work, and it surely isn't right. Anyone interested in picking up Gears of War should grab the 360 version, or simply save your money. There were complaint's on Epic's forums about the loading issues too, and it was happening on all sorts of hardware on different graphical settings.

More about : gears war

November 10, 2007 3:26:24 AM

I have gotten a crash since installing it and playing it. I finished campaign quite fun... Multiplayer is good too
November 10, 2007 6:48:52 PM

Problem is with your PC and not the game I think. Only bug I've found sofar is that ingame Vsync settings don't seem to work on my system. It works fine after forcing Vsync to on in my driver though. Other then that it's a shame the game doesn't support AA on XP. (Limited to 4x on Vista)

Loading issues? Other then the split second pause when saving a checkpoint I haven't had any issues. (No stuttering or loading pauses)
(Do note however that I'm running a fat RAID array on a PCI-E raidcontroller and if there is a problem with the game on slower drives I'm not seeing them.)
Related resources
November 10, 2007 8:19:28 PM

i cant see how the problem could be with heyyou, looking at his specs (8800gtx and raptor hdd's as example pieces) so i would imagine its software based
November 11, 2007 4:01:15 AM

I cant even load gears of war to the main menu without it crashing back to desktop with some wlive.exe error. Seems like everyone at the epic gears of war forums are having the same problem. Go microsoft!
November 11, 2007 10:13:47 AM

simply a patch will fix those issues that you have there, you aint stoppin me from buyin this game!
November 11, 2007 3:30:46 PM

one crash for me. Windows live sucks but at least it works for me
November 11, 2007 11:02:45 PM

I havent gotten it yet, but I will soon enough...I trust epic will resolve most issues!

Best,

3Ball
November 12, 2007 6:23:42 AM

Seems to be as bad of a port as Lost Planet was. I hope a patch or two can fix this. I really had great expectations for this game too.
November 12, 2007 6:30:24 AM

spuddyt said:
i cant see how the problem could be with heyyou, looking at his specs (8800gtx and raptor hdd's as example pieces) so i would imagine its software based

:sarcastic: 

A problem on a specific PC doesn't have to be related to hardware, it can also be a another specific piece of software (not the game itself) that is causing the issue.
November 12, 2007 2:13:25 PM

well, it was just that VTOL seemed (to me, looking back he wasn't really) that it was the pc's fault (i took that to mean the hardware)
November 12, 2007 6:36:15 PM

Actually, the game itself has been reported to have many problems. Check Epic's forums to get an idea.
November 15, 2007 12:46:08 PM

GOW has a been nothing but a pain. Cant get it to run for more than 5 minutes without crashing. I have had no problems with any game until GOW, they are saying no fix till December . Running a Q6600 overclocked to 3 GHz and a Radeon HD2900XT with 1 GB of DDR4 memory .
November 15, 2007 1:29:45 PM

mkhebcan said:
GOW has a been nothing but a pain. Cant get it to run for more than 5 minutes without crashing. I have had no problems with any game until GOW, they are saying no fix till December . Running a Q6600 overclocked to 3 GHz and a Radeon HD2900XT with 1 GB of DDR4 memory .

lol, good thing I wont be getting this till X-mas...college makes me teh broke! hopefully they get the problems fixed...I really enjoy the game on the 360 and I am getting a new vid card for xmas (3870 or 8800gt, havent decided yet) and would like to be able to play this game on decent settings with none of the instabilities I have heard so much about.

Best,

3Ball
November 16, 2007 6:44:20 PM

I will never buy a Microsoft game again.

1) they FORCE me to get a live account just to save my progress

2) big delays while loading during game play
November 16, 2007 11:48:19 PM

Live sucks but Gears of War is worth it
November 17, 2007 3:24:10 AM

my laptop runs it on high settings with a 12x8 res at 30+ FPS. so far I haven't come across any issues
November 17, 2007 4:13:22 AM

from what ive read gow was ported well to the pc, and they did a superb job on it... idk tho.
November 17, 2007 5:45:32 AM

my system plays it well maintaining constant 45+/- fps everything high, 1280x1024, except textures...on medium. its a bitch of a ram hog, i have no apps running and i have to keep the textures at med? GoW is a very well done port, lost planet also. you really have to see and try to play a bad port before you can actually recognize a good one(RE4/Devil may cry. Anyone?). Microsoft is playing it smart to make you have to sign in limiting the non-legit players. looks like ill have to beat it in one night..
November 17, 2007 5:41:12 PM

tkpb938 said:
from what ive read gow was ported well to the pc, and they did a superb job on it... idk tho.

get it, it's awesome
November 17, 2007 5:42:54 PM

Sounds like I lucked out in not gettting it. I went to my local Circuit City after the add said the game was $39 and availible after 2pm. Got to the store and they didnt have any and were not expecting any until after the sale was over. The bastards did this with COD 4 too. Oh well, guess I saved myself alot of headaches with GOW.
November 17, 2007 5:43:37 PM

Did you get COD4? it's more addictive online
November 17, 2007 9:46:35 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
Did you get COD4? it's more addictive online

Yeah I did. The game is really fun. The leveling up on MP IS really addictive. The SP is also fun, I have played some levels 5-8 times and the BOTS still challenge me. When the price of GOW drops and they fix the bugs, I might get it.
November 18, 2007 4:57:48 AM

I bought GOW cause it's more fun but less addictive. Love the chainsaw. Then again... who doesn't?
November 18, 2007 5:02:07 AM

lol the chainsaw bayonet is probably GOW's trademark. Thats all I ever hear about.
November 18, 2007 8:44:32 AM

well, its an awesome idea.... and the bloodsprays are done really well graphicly...... (imo)
November 18, 2007 1:19:40 PM

Nah shotguns and sniper are good too. I'm good with everything but hammer burst usually end up being second place in points.
November 18, 2007 5:16:07 PM

Well, GOW is on sale at Circuit City again for $39.99. I would like to get it but..........
I am concerned that there are so many issues with bugs/crashes.

A question for those who have it on the PC, does thit have COOP so I can play the campaign online with a friend like on the 360 version?
November 18, 2007 8:11:09 PM

No cross platform but yes you can play co-op but usually no one plays co-op
November 18, 2007 8:31:48 PM

Thanks, because I might try and convince one of my brothers to get it so we can play coop together. I guess I will take the risk and get it. I just hope I do not have the crash issues that many people are having.
November 18, 2007 8:40:22 PM

play online together and stick to one team you guysw will own. Most of the people online are such idiots they cant use a shotgun properly. I'm always stuck with idiots on my team
November 23, 2007 1:58:08 AM

I have the same problem as mchebcan. It runs for 30 seconds at MOST then crashes out. I'm so pissed at Microsoft. I have really waited for this game and can't run it - YET! I'm working on it and they better come out with some patches or SOMETHING.
November 25, 2007 3:55:06 PM

I have no problems running the game, but my sons computer wont play single player or coop at all without quickly crashing? We play online in other servers fine, but no luck with sp or coop for him. His comp is older, but runs most games ok still, its a a64 3000, gig corsair xms, 6800 ultra oc. hopefully a patch comes soon, i bought this for us to coop together!
at least we still beat down some nubs on regular servers though!
November 25, 2007 4:06:35 PM

i think this is one of release and no support games since no one really plays online that much
November 25, 2007 4:28:51 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
i think this is one of release and no support games since no one really plays online that much

Thats quite disappointing to me...I have a hard time understanding why they wouldnt put dedicated servers in this game. I think it would have helped.

Best,

3Ball
November 25, 2007 10:07:59 PM

I only logged on here to post this titbit of help. After being shafted with cyrsis and finishing the worlds most beautiful yet bereft of soul game i actually traded crysis in for GoW. And then came the upgrade cpu driver crap and then the rest of it. I have solved my crashing by doing the Windows live update (best disable firewall for that as it will crash as you update - it took me 3 times b4 it updated). I still crashed after update so i read about the 'start up' icon in the binaries folder in Program files/Gears of War. So i used the 'start up' icon and it still crashed (but after longer). Finally, for playing solo and offline, i disabled both anti-virus and firewall. It plays perfect now. As for playing online, I'll stick to counter strike source. Good luck all, hope these things help.
November 25, 2007 10:56:39 PM

ellisisland said:
I only logged on here to post this titbit of help. After being shafted with cyrsis and finishing the worlds most beautiful yet bereft of soul game i actually traded crysis in for GoW. And then came the upgrade cpu driver crap and then the rest of it. I have solved my crashing by doing the Windows live update (best disable firewall for that as it will crash as you update - it took me 3 times b4 it updated). I still crashed after update so i read about the 'start up' icon in the binaries folder in Program files/Gears of War. So i used the 'start up' icon and it still crashed (but after longer). Finally, for playing solo and offline, i disabled both anti-virus and firewall. It plays perfect now. As for playing online, I'll stick to counter strike source. Good luck all, hope these things help.

Why do you feel you were shafted with Crysis? Im JC! I have ran into that last boss bug or whatever, so I need to redue the last part of the game to beat it, but I have loved it thus far. I dont usually like spending 10 hours playing a single player game, but this one was worth it to me all the way through. Not many are. I suppose I could have just ran through it in about 8 hours or so, but for a game like Crysis I figured I owed it to myself to really run around and do everything I found it to offer. Man I love that suit! lol

Best,

3Ball
November 26, 2007 2:58:56 AM

I haven't gotten GoW although it is said to be a great game and has added more to the PC version. I probably will get it during christmas since it will be on sale.

Only thing I have to say is that I get sick of people blaming Microsoft when the just funded Epic the cash to make it. If there are any bugs it is up to Epic to get them out. Just like with Halo its Bungies job making the game MS just infused them with the cash. And the Halo port turned out better than the XBox version with more weapons and vehicles.

Anywho. I am sure the bugs will be fixed and the game will rock.
August 31, 2008 8:09:48 AM

k guys, i have a 4870 X2 brand new awsomeness. The only reason some of you are having a problem is because either you didn't download the update for ATI and crashes every few seconds to minutes and is a total pain (I know, I use to have the same thing). But all you have to do is just listen to it again when u reinstall it. It tells you to download an update. The only problem is that if the game keeps crashing on you, it'd be that your using XP and right now the games are mostly supported for Vista and that some things are bad on XP right now. The only real problem right now in GoW is that when you install it and try to log in, it tells you to update but even when you update it never works and you keep doing it and it keeps messing up. I know how to fix this problem now easily and Epic Games isn't going to give you a patch for something so small so go around on google and search this problem up, it will be out there. If your having performance problems and that it keeps crashing even after the update. 1. Your computer is too slow. 2. Your graphic card sucks and can't handle the graphics that GoW needs to work. 3. Your computer has software turned off to create better performance but messes up with the game. 4. Your computer is not compatible with GoW. 5. A Software your using are messing with the game. End List. This game really has no problems except for the log on update. This game, if you really get on it on pc, it's the quite abit better then XBOX 360. You have better performance if your computer is good, the graphics can be even better then XBOX 360 if your graphic card is good. Also you have better accuracy and the game is harder so it gives a really good challenge. Well, actually xbox is harder since u have to use a controller but ur accuracy is good so Epic Games made the game harder so its not like running around head shot everyone in the head. I tried xbox 360, total waste of money, you get an ok game and then u just spent $400 on it and then in the next 3 ~ 5 years you buy a new system that comes out and xbox 360 gets stuck in the basement and become collectors item in the next 40 years. A computer can be for a long period of time and have performance good enough to get some ok games to play with and play for like 20 years, than get a new one that costs like $1000 and wait for another 20years. The great thing of computers is that they last for a while unless the burn out and blow up (only usually happens if short circuit or you overclock it). New computers can come out and you don't have to care because if your computer is good enough to play a game and have good enough graphics to play a good game, then why by another one? XBOX 360 fans not an offence to you but you guys are wasting all that money, and then just going to stick it in the basement for collectors or what ever in the next 5 years. Computers are the worlds biggest things and nothing can change that; it can handle way more then a hunk of xbox can and can last longer.
August 31, 2008 8:09:56 AM

k guys, i have a 4870 X2 brand new awsomeness. The only reason some of you are having a problem is because either you didn't download the update for ATI and crashes every few seconds to minutes and is a total pain (I know, I use to have the same thing). But all you have to do is just listen to it again when u reinstall it. It tells you to download an update. The only problem is that if the game keeps crashing on you, it'd be that your using XP and right now the games are mostly supported for Vista and that some things are bad on XP right now. The only real problem right now in GoW is that when you install it and try to log in, it tells you to update but even when you update it never works and you keep doing it and it keeps messing up. I know how to fix this problem now easily and Epic Games isn't going to give you a patch for something so small so go around on google and search this problem up, it will be out there. If your having performance problems and that it keeps crashing even after the update. 1. Your computer is too slow. 2. Your graphic card sucks and can't handle the graphics that GoW needs to work. 3. Your computer has software turned off to create better performance but messes up with the game. 4. Your computer is not compatible with GoW. 5. A Software your using are messing with the game. End List. This game really has no problems except for the log on update. This game, if you really get on it on pc, it's the quite abit better then XBOX 360. You have better performance if your computer is good, the graphics can be even better then XBOX 360 if your graphic card is good. Also you have better accuracy and the game is harder so it gives a really good challenge. Well, actually xbox is harder since u have to use a controller but ur accuracy is good so Epic Games made the game harder so its not like running around head shot everyone in the head. I tried xbox 360, total waste of money, you get an ok game and then u just spent $400 on it and then in the next 3 ~ 5 years you buy a new system that comes out and xbox 360 gets stuck in the basement and become collectors item in the next 40 years. A computer can be for a long period of time and have performance good enough to get some ok games to play with and play for like 20 years, than get a new one that costs like $1000 and wait for another 20years. The great thing of computers is that they last for a while unless the burn out and blow up (only usually happens if short circuit or you overclock it). New computers can come out and you don't have to care because if your computer is good enough to play a game and have good enough graphics to play a good game, then why by another one? XBOX 360 fans not an offence to you but you guys are wasting all that money, and then just going to stick it in the basement for collectors or what ever in the next 5 years. Computers are the worlds biggest things and nothing can change that; it can handle way more then a hunk of xbox can and can last longer.
September 1, 2008 1:35:37 AM

You just bumped a thread that is almost a year old; the 4870 didn't even exist at the time, and many of us own Nvidia cards. Your argument of PC vs. Xbox360 is silly too, and Epic has stated that they will not release Gears of War 2 on the PC due to poor sales and reviews of the original on the PC. In fact, most developers are leaving the PC as a gaming platform for the Xbox360 and PS3.
!