MMORPG taxes what hardware?

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
silly matty, MMORPG's don't tax hardware!
well, they mainly use up alot of ram and CPU power, GPU power only if you crank up the settings. They're made to run on alot of systems.

matty101

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Ok, thanks. I am putting together a system, and wanted to make sure that a game like this could be played seamlessly on my pc while running cad(work) or something in the background. I'd like to see how the game looks with all the features turned up. I don't play alot but when I do play I like it to be smooth. Also I am upgrading from a very old system, yr 2001 is when I built it.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

yeah how is lord of the rings online doing..... that actually looked vaguely decent, so it must be dead by now :lol:

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

Depends... I've heard of the game and how it's a good MMORPG. Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell cuz I really don't know much about it

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
just following the logic of it good looking mmorpg's dieing, I've seen it and it does actually acheive a decent amount of IQ (seriously)

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Depending on your game of choice, assuming you're running something like autocad, Here's where I anticipate the chokepoints to be, in order of priority:

Network, Wallet

Ram (Capacity), GPU, CPU.

Disk speed.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Depends on the game. Everquest was mostly RAM and secondly video, probably the same for SWG, Everquest 2 was more video than RAM, Vanguard was everything, Guild Wars runs on pretty much anything decently.

I don't think any mass-market MMOGs really use much network bandwidth, other than for downloading updated files. Well, unless you count Second Life, which was continually downloading the world into a cache as you moved around.