Problems with install

September 1, 2004 4:47:58 AM

I had Windows 98SE installed on my computer for a number of
years, but the disk was lost at some point. My girlfriend
has a copy of ME, thus I just purchased XP Home Upgrade.

I opted to format my HD before slipping in the XP disk
because I wanted to start fresh. Having done just that, I
now get the same error each and every time: "Invalid system
disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"

I have reordered the boot sequence in the BIOS to utilize
the CD drive in which XP rests, as well as trying secondary
CD drive (just in case). Same result. Boot disks of all
sorts (even ones intended to make XP do a CD boot) render
much the same results as well (with the exception that I
get the line "Remove disks or other media. Press any key
to restart." but then back to business as usual). I'm
beating my head against the monitor as we speak. Any ideas
out there? Thanks in advance.

More about : problems install

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:04:56 PM

Hi

See if the following article helps:

"How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from
Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User