Cannot remove Windows Messenger

I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on again
at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
Is it not supposed to be removed?
TIA

Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on again
at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
Is it not supposed to be removed?
TIA

> Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but I
couldn't find it. Where do I find it?

> Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
>
> Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
>
> Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
> listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
again
> at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
> Is it not supposed to be removed?
> TIA

Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?

--

> Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but I
couldn't find it. Where do I find it?

> Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
>
> Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
>
> Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
> listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
again
> at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
> Is it not supposed to be removed?
> TIA

Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?

> Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
>
> Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but
> couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
> >
> > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
> >
> > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Window XP Shell/User
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> >

> > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
> > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
> again
> > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
again.
> > Is it not supposed to be removed?
> > TIA

Both are different
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330117

--

Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?

> Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
>
> Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but
> couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
> >
> > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
> >
> > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Window XP Shell/User
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> >

> > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
> > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
> again
> > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
again.
> > Is it not supposed to be removed?
> > TIA

Quite difficult to comprehend for a newuser. If you could offer just a brief
summary for the two, I would appreciate it.

Pls also refer to my original question displayed below again:

> Both are different
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330117
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Window XP Shell/User
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> >

> > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
> >
> > Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window,
but
> > couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
> >
> > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
> > >
> > > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
> > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
> > >
> > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
> > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > > Window XP Shell/User
> > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> > >

> > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
> > > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
> > again
> > > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
> again.
> > > Is it not supposed to be removed?
> > > TIA

Again, if you're referring to Windows Messenger, follow these links: