Cannot remove Windows Messenger

I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on again
at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
Is it not supposed to be removed?
TIA
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot remove windows messenger

    Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

    Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:

    Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on again
    at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
    Is it not supposed to be removed?
    TIA

    > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

    Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but I
    couldn't find it. Where do I find it?

    > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
    >
    > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
    >
    > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
    again
    > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
    > Is it not supposed to be removed?
    > TIA

    Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?

    --

    > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

    Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but I
    couldn't find it. Where do I find it?

    > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
    >
    > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
    >
    > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
    again
    > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on again.
    > Is it not supposed to be removed?
    > TIA

    Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?

    > Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    >
    > Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but
    > couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    > >
    > > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
    > >
    > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Window XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >

    > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    > > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
    > again
    > > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
    again.
    > > Is it not supposed to be removed?
    > > TIA

    Both are different
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330117

    --

    Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?

    > Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    >
    > Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but
    > couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    > >
    > > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
    > >
    > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Window XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >

    > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    > > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
    > again
    > > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
    again.
    > > Is it not supposed to be removed?
    > > TIA

    Quite difficult to comprehend for a newuser. If you could offer just a brief
    summary for the two, I would appreciate it.

    Pls also refer to my original question displayed below again:

    > Both are different
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330117
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Window XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >

    > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    > >
    > > Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window,
    but
    > > couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
    > >
    > > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
    > > >
    > > > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
    > > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
    > > >
    > > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > > Window XP Shell/User
    > > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > > >

    > > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    > > > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
    > > again
    > > > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
    > again.
    > > > Is it not supposed to be removed?
    > > > TIA

    Again, if you're referring to Windows Messenger, follow these links:

    Quite difficult to comprehend for a newuser. If you could offer just a brief
    summary for the two, I would appreciate it.

    Pls also refer to my original question displayed below again:

    Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm

    Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window, but I
    couldn't find it. Where do I find it?

    > Both are different
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;330117
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Its Windows Messenger. Whats the difference between the two anyway?
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Are you referring to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Window XP Shell/User
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >

    > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    > >
    > > Tried to do this one. It says to go to the main MSN Messenger window,
    but
    > > couldn't find it. Where do I find it?
    > >
    > > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
    > > >
    > > > Disable/Remove Windows Messenger:
    > > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
    > > >
    > > > Prevent MSN Messenger from automatically launching at startup:
    > > > http://www.winxptutor.com/preventmsn.htm
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > > Window XP Shell/User
    > > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > > >

    > > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I don't use Windows Messenger so I went to Startup to remove it. It is
    > > > listed as "msmgs" at the check box. After the restart it came back on
    > > again
    > > > at the systems tray. Removed it again, and it promptly came back on
    > again.
    > > > Is it not supposed to be removed?
    > > > TIA

Messenger Microsoft Systems Windows XP