Sign in with
Your question

Portal - Not just your typical Puzzle game

Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2007 9:42:22 PM

Portal is a game that comes bundled with The Orange Box from Steam; retailed at $49.99. Portal is essentially a strategy game because you have to really think outside the box when solving things. When I first played Portal and hit the first real challenge, which was to port an energy ball to the other side of the room and than port it in the opposite direction and than into a device to turn on a moving platform. After seeing the complexity of it at first I said to myself, "Wow...if it's like this early on, i wonder what lies ahead 10 levels from now." This represents my facial expression: :ouch: 

You don't always have to solve a puzzle to enjoy the game. For instance, I went to a corner in the wall, created a blue portal, than in the adjacent corner, created another portal to give me 4 portals altogether, like this:

Or you can do some crazy things and create two portals and infinitely travel in the same direction, erm, in two directions but not really go anywhere...or something like that. :pt1cable: 

One of the really cool things to do is to place one portal on a wall vertically, and the other on the floor horizontally, than stand next to each, you get the perspective that there's three of you, but only one...so is it one or three? ;) 

Than there's emulating what i once saw in a movie called "What the bleep do we know" in which case they took a single object, and made it in two places at once, you can do the same thing in Portal. Put one portal on the ground, and the other on the ground right next to it...like this...

Portal is incredibly fun. It stresses your mind and can make you think in terms you don't normally think in. It is humorous with the things the robot voice says to you. It come sin a bundle of other games. Portal is just plain fun and really takes gaming to a place I haven't really seen before.

There's a diverse amount of things one can do. It offers Bonus Maps and maps you can download from others to test your wits. It took me maybe 3 to 3 and a half hours to complete on normal difficulty. It's extremely easy to understand to play, in-fact as simple as, WASD moves you, Mouse buttons launch portals, ESC is pause. That's really all there is to it.

I'd recommend this game to anyone who likes a challenge, who likes to think outside the box, and anywho who has a few hours to kill.

I would write more down, but today is my b-day and I'm off to dinner. So until next time...:D 
November 12, 2007 4:42:56 AM

Yes... it's a review of Portal. The game is like 2 hours of pure fun.
November 12, 2007 6:20:53 AM

itotallybelieveyou said:
Yes... it's a review of Portal. The game is like 2 hours of pure fun.

Probably the most fun I've had playing a game in a long, long time. Probably since I first played F.E.A.R, and that was at it's release. So yeah, Portal takes the cake for bring the most fun game I've had in a long time. Worth every penny. :sol: 
Related resources
November 12, 2007 7:35:12 AM

justinmcg67 said:
So yeah, Portal takes the cake for bring the most fun game I've had in a long time. Worth every penny. :sol: 
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!
November 12, 2007 11:28:40 AM

justinmcg67 said:
<snip>
I would write more down, but today is my b-day and I'm off to dinner. So until next time...:D 

Happy B-day!
It's taking all my willpower to refrain from any cake references.

I've played through the entire game a few times now (Xbox360), and worked through a majority of the extended puzzles, I may have twisted my brain stem in the process. :pt1cable: 
I may have to buy it again for the PC to see what the community has come up with for custom maps.
November 12, 2007 2:27:50 PM

cafuddled said:
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

"hey, good news, i just figured out what that thing you just blew up did, it was a morality core they installed after i flooded the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin to make me stop flooding the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin"
November 12, 2007 3:17:17 PM

cafuddled said:
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

When i first read that in the game I was like "wtf" than chuckled slightly. I really enjoyed the Companion Cube face on all of the guys on those walls though, that was funny.

tmeacham said:
Just in case you missed it here is our review of Portal from a month ago:

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/10/16/portal_review/

Oh bummer, I had no idea I missed that! Well, is it possible to do a Half-Life 2: Episode 2 review? I just played the game and it's by far the best graphics I have ever seen. Better than Crysis demo and everything, and great frame rates too!
November 13, 2007 12:20:12 PM

well, they write the cake is a lie, because that is what glados tries to encourage you with all the way through the tests she keeps saying there will be cake at the end
!