Interesting News: Motherboards & capacitors.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its all about motherboards, keeping things cheap and low quality capacitors that leak or even explode!

<A HREF="http://www.e-insite.net/index.asp?layout=article&articleId=CA255062&title=Search+Results&publication=e-insite&webzine=e-insite" target="_new">http://www.e-insite.net/index.asp?layout=article&articleId=CA255062&title=Search+Results&publication=e-insite&webzine=e-insite</A>

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
This is pathetic, would willingly pay an extra $50 if I knew the motherboard was made with reliable, tested components. What is a 50 cent difference to the customer?

<font color=green>My other personality is schitzofrenic.</font color=green>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
This is pathetic, would willingly pay an extra $50 if I knew the motherboard was made with reliable, tested components. What is a 50 cent difference to the customer? I can guarantee that the price of the board doesn't change because of cheaper components. The company just gets to pocket more money.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its certainly worrying.
Ive been reading around a bit, and it seems only to be a problem in the past year or two. Profit margins go down, so too does quality.

Exploding caps, cheapass PSU's, 1 year hard drive warantees... the future aint looking rosey :frown:

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
And it will be looking even worse if AMD doesn't start providing some healthy competition in the desktop CPU market.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There it is! I helped the guy with that aritcle! D000000D, I can't believe this [-peep-]. A guy complained, I responded. Remember ME, the guy who's always talking about this crap!

Anyway, they guy was a little miffed and wrote to Electronic News. Electonic News contacted ME and set up an interview. After about half an hour on the phone I halfheartedly agreed to send this guy a bucket full of bad capacitors, or at least a handfull from that bucket. Problem was he needed them RIGHT AWAY, offered to reimburse me for overnight delivers, but I didn't have the money up front. I put him onto the Tayeh and Jackcon caps, and sent him a couple links to motherboard repair shops...

Damn, I should have asked if I could write the damned thing!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fine, send me your boards too. I could use the extra business.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Coolies!
How excellent. Congrats, hope you get lots of busness :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL your name?
Tom Soderstrom?
Gary Headlee?
Carey Holzman?
hehehe

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
One of those. One is the name of the guy who put me in touch with the editor. The other is the name of a guy I refered the editor tofo more information.

Hmm, I'm not in the credits, even though I did a lot of the research he used in the article. He must be miffed about me not sending him those bad caps.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I did a quick google search on that topic, look like the news is spreading fast all over the 'net, maybe you started a revolution =)

I hope that will scare the [-peep-] out of manufacturers so they stop using the cheapest parts available...

Fok Speling Misstake

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well it seems the news has now reached <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6085" target="_new">The Inquirer.net</A>

Sounds like a very bad blossoming problem thats gonna get worse...much worse.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hopefully this snowball goes somewhere and crushes a few poorly designed ski lodges!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The embarassment and cost of replacement are enough to cause most affected boardmakers to clean up their act...usually. The problem is that these caps often live just long enough that problems go unoticed until just after the expiration of the warranty.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I just read that since most affected manufacturers are now scrabling to get caps from more reliable source, the higher demand inflated caps prices. Once again, we, the end users, will end up paying the bill...

Fok Speling Misstake

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good! Wouldn't you rather pay $105 for a board that works for 5 years than $100 for a board that MIGHT outlive it's warranty and leave you stranded?