removing default user login

Previously my pc was set up by another person and they
added an extra user. At the same time they set the log
in to bypass the welcome screen and directly login to the
first account.

I have now deleted the first account, but my pc still
tries to login to this default account, which does not
exist.

How can I get the pc to go straight to the user screen,
ignoring this now deleted user, (I have tried selecting
the welcome screen option in users control panel

have you tried looking into the user accounts applet under control panel?