AR Spot Report - Almost! (Long, as usual)

Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2005 3:09:47 AM

Today started out weird, and went downhill from there. I got woken up
for the final time this morning by the sound of my computer starting
up. Strange, since I'd left it on when I went to sleep, and the news
station that I can only listen to through it had been playing the
previous 3 or 4 times I'd woken up. Ok, something's amiss, checked for
updates to the virus scanner (there weren't any) and ran it, and both
anti-spyware programs, no virii but Ad-aware found about 10 more
critical items, maybe that was it. No, about a half-hour later my
roommate is in the process of checking her email (for some reason now
*her* computer can't connect, I haven't been able to figure out why)
and it reboots again. 10 minutes later, same thing, but then it
settled down. It being my only day off, I decided to play a little.

First up was Moldymort-nz, my Nez Necro. I found him at the Sewers WP,
after he and his army took out Radament I decided that was enough for
him, he'd find the first WP out in the desert in his next game. Next
up was Aragorn-AR, my Ancestral Recall Paladin.

In his last game, he'd started out in Act 3/Normal, but I quickly
remembered that he was *supposed* to be doing the Crypt first, if he
could. This time he got past the triple boss pack that had ended his
quest before he'd gone to and completed Act 2, and made it down to the
Jail WP, finding Moe for the first time I'd seen him in 1.10 (I was
beginning to think he'd been taken out, like the camels apparently
have). In that game Moe killed him once before he deigned to die, but
IIRC he dropped a couple of uniques and a couple rares, the first time
he's actually dropped anything for me. The WP was just around a
corner.

So today he decided he wanted to get revenge on Moe first, even though
it would have been real easy to avoid him. Bad idea ;-( Number 2 son
was cheering me on as Moe managed to kill him about 5 or 6 times
(because of the poison hit he now has, I *sure* don't remember that in
1.09, he still hits pretty hard with his regular attack bit with 17%
life leech Aragorn could recover from that, but the poison attack
takes out 2/3 of his life ball to start, and keeps draining it until
it's almost nothing), but revenge was finally his, and this time the
drop was 4 uniques (and he got the other half-a-level to actually
level up). The Wizendraw was marginally worse than the rare Cedar Bow
that Annor is using, so none of them were keepers, but I don't think
I've seen a Wormskull since my first Bowazon got it from Andy (also in
Normal), so at least *that* was nice to see again. Then it was time to
hit the longest stretch between waypoints in the game, unless you
count getting lost in the jungle.

He'd already found the stairs down to 2 in his last game, and there
the stairs to 3 came up pretty quickly, so he was quickly looking to
get out of the Jails. Those stairs didn't show up until about halfway
through the level, but at least it wasn't one of those cases where if
he'd gone left instead of right he would have found it right away ;-)

Down through the beginning stages of the Underground Passage/Pit areas
he went, only having problems with things like Deadly Mages that he
couldn't leech from, but no one managed to kill him despite a few
close calls. In the Pit, he ran into one (and only one) Champion pack
of Lusts (which should have told me what was coming in the next level,
but there's another tough critter (can't remember specifically what at
this point, but I know them when I see them) that's my usual warning
sign), and the experience from them turned out to be even better than
the drops, which were 3 rare amulets and 3 rare jewels. The ammies
were *all* + skills ones, sorc, traps, and passive and magic IIRC,
eventually he cubed them and then cubed the resulting ring with two
other rare rings and got a + Amazon skills one, which might have been
nice for the *other* character I'm playing in the mod, but sure didn't
help him any. But onward ho, he finally found the stairs to the Pit.

I *thought* this was the Minion level, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't
put up a TP but told number 2 son to keep an eye out for Minions of
Destruction. Unfortunately, he's never made it to Act 5, so he had no
idea what I was talking about ;-) That's ok, though, when I saw the
Gloams while I was having a tough time with something else I decided
that putting up a TP would probably be a pretty good idea, by this
time it was a *long* run back from the last WP. He handled the Gloams
without problems, kept the TP up after several town trips (mostly for
repairs, the two things I don't like about Griswold's Edge are the
knockback and the 32 durability, he's looking forward to finding out
what the durability is on the insanely high-damage dagger you get from
the Gidbinn) and about halfway through the level his prudence paid
off, so to speak, as my youngest found out what I was talking about.
Fortunately it was only one boss pack of Minions, five minion Minions
and their boss, and he was able to run back and space them out so that
the battle with the boss and two of his minions was the only time he
had to take on more than 2 at a time. Two levels or so to the good,
and at least 3/4 of the way through the level, he finally found the
stairs to Cats 1.

Unfortunately, by this time I had to be getting ready to leave, we had
a 7:00 appointment we had to make and get dinner first. So I paused
the game, figuring I'd get back to it tonight, and started harassing
the boys about getting ready to go and getting dressed myself. And
*that's* when the computer decided to reboot again :-(

Oh, well, at least he now knows that he can handle the toughest packs
(level-relative) in the game, and the next time I have 4-6 hours to
kill everything but the last level and a half or so to the next WP
will be filled in on the map. If you're still reading, I thank you for
not falling asleep, but *I* need to get to sleep now, that alarm is
going off in about 4.5 hours.

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16

More about : spot report long usual

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:27:07 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:02:46 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>The real test is when you put that Nextel back on top of the computer
>and it squawks again and the computer reboots, lol. :)
>
>Diane

This is *so* not going to happen ;-) The Nextel now resides on my
night table, atop the Game Boy Advanced I bought myself for Christmas.

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16
February 16, 2005 10:02:19 AM

ald <103175.3500@compuserve.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:02:46 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>>The real test is when you put that Nextel back on top of the computer
>>and it squawks again and the computer reboots, lol. :)
>>
>>Diane
>
> This is *so* not going to happen ;-) The Nextel now resides on my
> night table, atop the Game Boy Advanced I bought myself for Christmas.
>
> ald

Is there no end to your toy collection?

Diane
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:58:47 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:02:19 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Is there no end to your toy collection?
>
>Diane

Well, that and the computer are basically it, and I got the GBA
because I couldn't play on the computer when I was in the truck ;-)

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16
February 18, 2005 5:23:43 AM

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:02:19 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there no end to your toy collection?
>>
>>Diane
>
> Well, that and the computer are basically it, and I got the GBA
> because I couldn't play on the computer when I was in the truck ;-)
>
> ald

GBA? What's that? Game Boy?

Diane
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:23:44 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:23:43 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>GBA? What's that? Game Boy?
>
>Diane

Aye, Game Boy Advance.

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:16:28 PM

On 18-Feb-2005, "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> However, if she shared that money with me, I could just hate her from
> another wing of the house and I could deal with it.

Heh, yea, personally, I am looking for a woman that can support me in the
custom I'd like to get accustomed to.
--
Don't Panic!
February 19, 2005 1:58:47 AM

"ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in news:0iqRd.1404$x53.200
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> On 18-Feb-2005, "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>> However, if she shared that money with me, I could just hate her from
>> another wing of the house and I could deal with it.
>
> Heh, yea, personally, I am looking for a woman that can support me in the
> custom I'd like to get accustomed to.

Geez, and I've been looking for a man to do the same for me.

Diane
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:46:59 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:50:00 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net>
wrote:

>ah, well that's b/c you're bigger than he is, lol. He'll get his when
>he's big enough. Ya see, the bigger boys get the better toys. If the
>little boys got all the better toys, there would be nothing for them to
>look forward to, HAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, and he *asked* for the Game Boy as his birthday present last
year, I don't think the Advance was out yet then (although it came out
shortly after, IIRC). Doesn't stop him from being jealous, though ;-)

>Btw....I don't know if one of my posts ever made it on the NG b/c I've
>posted it twice, but I need advice on which is the best weapon of choice
>for my necro in normal Act V clvl 38. I'm currently using a little
>azurewrath crystal sword, but I'm wondering if there's something better
>than that. You have any idea about that?
>
>TIA
>Diane

Are you still meleeing with him? If so, I have no clue, since I don't
do melee well, and not at *all* with a Necro once he has Bone Spear
(and precious little before that). My recommendation would be to go
back to Act 1 and shop Akara for a wand with +3 to raise skellies (and
preferably something else good, best being +3 to skelly mastery, with
maybe something to something else you use, like Corpse Explosion), you
might be able to get up to 5 skellies without having to invest any
more points in it. But I play Necros as Zookeepers (or Overlords) all
the way ;-)

ald
"Knowledge is Power"
VK`Sister`ald level 47 Rogue (HF V&K) (RIP :-( )
Matriarch Sis-West level 82 Bowazon (US West)
Champion RingsNThngs level 61 Bowazon (US West)
Slayer ZannEsu-ald level 51 Sorceress (US West)
Matriarch Sis-AR level 99 Bowazon (Ancestral Recall Mod)
Champion Creepy-AR Level 91 Necromancer (AR)
Slayer Zan-AR Level 79 Sorceress (AR)
Slayer SisEight-AR Level 78 Bowazon (AR)
Gems-AR Level 55 Barbarian (AR)
Matriarch Sis-otSEye Level 78 Bowazon (US West, co-op)
BtaSisEight-ald Level 50 Bowazon (LoD 1.10 SP)
Aragorn-AR Level 51 Zealadin (AR)
Champion LTwoSis-ald Level 79 Bowazon (US West Ladder)
CotSRSig #16
February 20, 2005 9:11:57 PM

> Are you still meleeing with him? If so, I have no clue, since I don't
> do melee well, and not at *all* with a Necro once he has Bone Spear
> (and precious little before that). My recommendation would be to go
> back to Act 1 and shop Akara for a wand with +3 to raise skellies (and
> preferably something else good, best being +3 to skelly mastery, with
> maybe something to something else you use, like Corpse Explosion), you
> might be able to get up to 5 skellies without having to invest any
> more points in it. But I play Necros as Zookeepers (or Overlords) all
> the way ;-)
>
> ald

Ah great. That's what I'll do. I've been trying to stay out of the
melee cause it's just so much easier to stand back and cast BS. I'll
let you know what I find. AAMOF, I may even have something in my stash
since I've been collecting everything "good" that I find along the way.

Thanks again.

Diane
!