Need help Installing Windows XP !!!

Hi Guys

I have a small question regarding the installation of my
new Windows XP Operating System.

First, let me give an overview of what I have on my system
currently.

Currently, I have 2 Hard Drives on my PC. One is 120GB
and the other is 40 GB. On this 120GB Hard Drive, I have
Windows 98. And I use this 40 GB Hard Drive as an
addditional drive. And both the drives are using the
FAT32 file system.

Now I got the upgrade version of Windows XP. What I want
to do is to convert this 40GB Hard Drive to NTFS File
System and install Windows XP on this drive and use this
120GB (which is currently FAT32 and have Windows 98)Hard
Drive as an additional drive. I primarily want to use
Windows XP on my system.

Now the question is...

Can this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive running Windows XP
recognises this FAT32 Hard Drive and vice versa ? Can I
transfer the data back and forth between both the drives ?

Are there any compatibility issues ?

My plan is, once I setup Windows XP on this NTFS 40GB Hard
Drive, I will slowly transfer files from this FAT32 120GB
Hard Drive to this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive and once I am done
copying all the files to this 40GB Hard Drive, I will
reformat this 120GB Hard Drive to NTFS File System.

So is it possible to have that transition time ?

OR am I better off with the FAT32 File System on both the
Hard Drives ?

If someone please help me with this problem, I really
appreciate.

Will be waiting for your responses.

If you need further information, please contact me.

Thank you very much.

Ram.
9 answers Last reply
More about need installing windows

    Ram an ntfs file system can 'see' a fat32 file system, but a fat32 file
    system cannot see an ntfs file system. So, basically you can transfer data
    from your windows xp ntfs partition to your windows 98 fat32 file system but
    you cannot transfer files from win 98 fat 32 to win xp ntfs. A little
    complex I know but that's how things work I'm afraid. It is basically the
    same if you use a Dos windows 98 start-up disk. The start-up disk will read
    the windows 98 partition but not the windows xp partition.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    "Ram" <madramram@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I have a small question regarding the installation of my
    > new Windows XP Operating System.
    >
    > First, let me give an overview of what I have on my system
    > currently.
    >
    > Currently, I have 2 Hard Drives on my PC. One is 120GB
    > and the other is 40 GB. On this 120GB Hard Drive, I have
    > Windows 98. And I use this 40 GB Hard Drive as an
    > addditional drive. And both the drives are using the
    > FAT32 file system.
    >
    > Now I got the upgrade version of Windows XP. What I want
    > to do is to convert this 40GB Hard Drive to NTFS File
    > System and install Windows XP on this drive and use this
    > 120GB (which is currently FAT32 and have Windows 98)Hard
    > Drive as an additional drive. I primarily want to use
    > Windows XP on my system.
    >
    > Now the question is...
    >
    > Can this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive running Windows XP
    > recognises this FAT32 Hard Drive and vice versa ? Can I
    > transfer the data back and forth between both the drives ?
    >
    > Are there any compatibility issues ?
    >
    > My plan is, once I setup Windows XP on this NTFS 40GB Hard
    > Drive, I will slowly transfer files from this FAT32 120GB
    > Hard Drive to this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive and once I am done
    > copying all the files to this 40GB Hard Drive, I will
    > reformat this 120GB Hard Drive to NTFS File System.
    >
    > So is it possible to have that transition time ?
    >
    > OR am I better off with the FAT32 File System on both the
    > Hard Drives ?
    >
    > If someone please help me with this problem, I really
    > appreciate.
    >
    > Will be waiting for your responses.
    >
    > If you need further information, please contact me.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Ram.

    John

    Thank you very much for your response. This is going to
    help me understand the File Systems. I am not going to
    use Windows 98 once I setup Windows XP on my computer.

    I am planning to install Windows XP on 40GB NTFS Drive and
    use this 120GB FAT32 Drive as a Data Drive. That way I
    will have access to both the drives from Windows XP.

    Thanks again for the response.

    Ram.

    Ram there is an easier way of doing it. Your XP cd has a program called Files
    and settings Transfer network. This will save all the settings and files that
    are on the windows 98 system. I would use that. As with any installing of
    any os save all things that you don't want to lose. I usually burn to a cd in
    case the unforseeable happens.

    Michael L Hereid Sr

    "Ram" wrote:

    > John
    >
    > Thank you very much for your response. This is going to
    > help me understand the File Systems. I am not going to
    > use Windows 98 once I setup Windows XP on my computer.
    >
    > I am planning to install Windows XP on 40GB NTFS Drive and
    > use this 120GB FAT32 Drive as a Data Drive. That way I
    > will have access to both the drives from Windows XP.
    >
    > Thanks again for the response.
    >
    > Ram.

    OOOps not network but wizzard sorry

    "MikeHereidSr" wrote:

    > Ram there is an easier way of doing it. Your XP cd has a program called Files
    > and settings Transfer network. This will save all the settings and files that
    > are on the windows 98 system. I would use that. As with any installing of
    > any os save all things that you don't want to lose. I usually burn to a cd in
    > case the unforseeable happens.
    >
    > Michael L Hereid Sr
    >
    > "Ram" wrote:
    >
    > > John
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for your response. This is going to
    > > help me understand the File Systems. I am not going to
    > > use Windows 98 once I setup Windows XP on my computer.
    > >
    > > I am planning to install Windows XP on 40GB NTFS Drive and
    > > use this 120GB FAT32 Drive as a Data Drive. That way I
    > > will have access to both the drives from Windows XP.
    > >
    > > Thanks again for the response.
    > >
    > > Ram.

    ram,

    if you are going to convert the 40 gig drive (which i think would be drive
    d, unless the 120 gig drive is partitioned) to ntfs, you can only access
    this drive when you are using windows xp.

    with win xp, you can have access to fat, fat16, fat32, and ntfs drives.

    with win98 you can only have to fat, fat16, and fat32.

    however, if you are concerned about security, such that, you don't want
    other people to access your files and folders, then ntfs is the answer.

    tip: it would be better if you could make the 40gig drive your drive c,
    install windows and all applications there. make the 120 gig drive your
    data drive as it is always assumed that data takes more space than the
    operating system and application files.

    i hope that helps you a bit.
    --
    Regards,
    Dennis Lazo

    the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
    e-mails may be sent at http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    "Ram" <madramram@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I have a small question regarding the installation of my
    > new Windows XP Operating System.
    >
    > First, let me give an overview of what I have on my system
    > currently.
    >
    > Currently, I have 2 Hard Drives on my PC. One is 120GB
    > and the other is 40 GB. On this 120GB Hard Drive, I have
    > Windows 98. And I use this 40 GB Hard Drive as an
    > addditional drive. And both the drives are using the
    > FAT32 file system.
    >
    > Now I got the upgrade version of Windows XP. What I want
    > to do is to convert this 40GB Hard Drive to NTFS File
    > System and install Windows XP on this drive and use this
    > 120GB (which is currently FAT32 and have Windows 98)Hard
    > Drive as an additional drive. I primarily want to use
    > Windows XP on my system.
    >
    > Now the question is...
    >
    > Can this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive running Windows XP
    > recognises this FAT32 Hard Drive and vice versa ? Can I
    > transfer the data back and forth between both the drives ?
    >
    > Are there any compatibility issues ?
    >
    > My plan is, once I setup Windows XP on this NTFS 40GB Hard
    > Drive, I will slowly transfer files from this FAT32 120GB
    > Hard Drive to this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive and once I am done
    > copying all the files to this 40GB Hard Drive, I will
    > reformat this 120GB Hard Drive to NTFS File System.
    >
    > So is it possible to have that transition time ?
    >
    > OR am I better off with the FAT32 File System on both the
    > Hard Drives ?
    >
    > If someone please help me with this problem, I really
    > appreciate.
    >
    > Will be waiting for your responses.
    >
    > If you need further information, please contact me.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Ram.

    This is exactly what I want to do. In this case, do I
    need to convert this 120 gig drive to NTFS ? OR can I
    just leave it just like it was (FAT32) ?

    Thank you very much for your quick reply.

    Ram

    >i hope that helps you a bit.
    >--
    >Regards,
    >Dennis Lazo
    >
    >the email address from where this message has been sent
    from is unmonitored.
    >e-mails may be sent at http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    >information herein is provided as is with no warranties,
    and confers no
    >rights.
    >

    >"Ram" <madramram@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys
    >>
    >> I have a small question regarding the installation of my
    >> new Windows XP Operating System.
    >>
    >> First, let me give an overview of what I have on my
    system
    >> currently.
    >>
    >> Currently, I have 2 Hard Drives on my PC. One is 120GB
    >> and the other is 40 GB. On this 120GB Hard Drive, I
    have
    >> Windows 98. And I use this 40 GB Hard Drive as an
    >> addditional drive. And both the drives are using the
    >> FAT32 file system.
    >>
    >> Now I got the upgrade version of Windows XP. What I
    want
    >> to do is to convert this 40GB Hard Drive to NTFS File
    >> System and install Windows XP on this drive and use this
    >> 120GB (which is currently FAT32 and have Windows 98)Hard
    >> Drive as an additional drive. I primarily want to use
    >> Windows XP on my system.
    >>
    >> Now the question is...
    >>
    >> Can this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive running Windows XP
    >> recognises this FAT32 Hard Drive and vice versa ? Can I
    >> transfer the data back and forth between both the
    drives ?

    >> Are there any compatibility issues ?
    >>
    >> My plan is, once I setup Windows XP on this NTFS 40GB
    Hard
    >> Drive, I will slowly transfer files from this FAT32
    120GB
    >> Hard Drive to this NTFS 40GB Hard Drive and once I am
    done
    >> copying all the files to this 40GB Hard Drive, I will
    >> reformat this 120GB Hard Drive to NTFS File System.
    >>
    >> So is it possible to have that transition time ?
    >>
    >> OR am I better off with the FAT32 File System on both
    the
    >> Hard Drives ?
    >>
    >> If someone please help me with this problem, I really
    >> appreciate.
    >>
    >> Will be waiting for your responses.
    >>
    >> If you need further information, please contact me.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.
    >>
    >> Ram.
    >

    >.

    ram,

    if you plan to just discard win98 completely, go ahead and install winxp on
    your 40 gig drive as ntfs. anyways, i believe that your data is already in
    the 120 gig drive.

    just make your 40 gig drive your drive c, install windows, make it as ntfs
    and you still would have access to your 120 gig drive using ntfs.

    if you plan to use win98 still, then install winxp on the 40 gig drive using
    fat32. win98 cannot access ntfs drives.

    hope this helps again.
    --

> [...]

    correction: second paragraph should read:

    just make your 40 gig drive your drive c, install windows, make it as ntfs
    and you still would have access to your 120 gig drive using fat32.

    additional note: after installing winxp, you can convert fat32 drives to
    ntfs. but you will need a third party application to convert ntfs drives to
    fat32.

    "Dennis Lazo" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
    > ram,
    >
    > if you plan to just discard win98 completely, go ahead and install winxp
    > on your 40 gig drive as ntfs. anyways, i believe that your data is
    > already in the 120 gig drive.
    >
    > just make your 40 gig drive your drive c, install windows, make it as ntfs
    > and you still would have access to your 120 gig drive using ntfs.
    >
    > if you plan to use win98 still, then install winxp on the 40 gig drive
    > using fat32. win98 cannot access ntfs drives.
    >
    > hope this helps again.
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Dennis Lazo
    >
    > the email address from where this message has been sent from is
    > unmonitored.
    > e-mails may be sent at http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    > information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights.
    >

    > "Ram" <madramram@lycos.com> wrote in message

    Dennis

    I really appreciate your responses.

    I got my answer. This will be of a great help.

    No. I don't want to use Windows 98 anymore once I setup
    WindowsXP. So I will make this 40GB as my C drive format
    it to NTFS File System and install WindowsXP and will use
    the 120GB FAT32 Hard Drive for my data.

    Thank you very much.

    Ram.

Hard Drives Windows XP