Where is Firewall; is SP1 or 2 on this computer?

I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows firewall
to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box doesn't
work.
Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point, I'm
crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
morning just to find this place to ask a question.

Click Start and Control Panel,
Look for a Red, Blue, Green and Yellow shield, with the name Security Center.
If you do not see it, you still have SP1 installed.
To disable the firewall with SP1,
In the upper left, select Classic View,
Double click Network Connections,
Right click Local Area Connection,
Click Properties,
Click Advanced,
Click to uncheck - Protect my Computer..................

--
JerryM (ID)

MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
A man who can smile when things go wrong,
has thought of someone he can blame it on.

"DJeanne" <DJeanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08127BEC-DF5F-4BF5-8710-A8A0561CF3F0@microsoft.com...
> I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows firewall
> to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box doesn't
> work.
> Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
> judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point, I'm
> crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
> morning just to find this place to ask a question.

I'm old to.Not sure but click my computer and click system information and
see if it saids Sp1 or SP2,That is all I can help you with.
"DJeanne" wrote:

> I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows firewall
> to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box doesn't
> work.
> Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
> judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point, I'm
> crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
> morning just to find this place to ask a question.

Greetings --

To determine which Service Pack, if any, you have installed, click
Start > Run, and type Winver in the field. Press <Enter>.

As for disabling the firewall to avoid conflicts, that may be bad
advice. What kind of "conflicts" are you trying to avoid?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"DJeanne" <DJeanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows
> firewall
> to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run
> Box doesn't
> work.
> Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my
> better
> judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this
> point, I'm
> crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me
> all
> morning just to find this place to ask a question.

Thank you so much; I have SP1, but not SP2. I'll probably be in a
straightjacket soon after I start to do the SP2 thing.

"Squire" wrote:

> Click Start and Control Panel,
> Look for a Red, Blue, Green and Yellow shield, with the name Security Center.
> If you do not see it, you still have SP1 installed.
> To disable the firewall with SP1,
> In the upper left, select Classic View,
> Double click Network Connections,
> Right click Local Area Connection,
> Click Properties,
> Click Advanced,
> Click to uncheck - Protect my Computer..................
>
> --
> JerryM (ID)
>
> MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
> A man who can smile when things go wrong,
> has thought of someone he can blame it on.
>
> "DJeanne" <DJeanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08127BEC-DF5F-4BF5-8710-A8A0561CF3F0@microsoft.com...
> > I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows firewall
> > to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box doesn't
> > work.
> > Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
> > judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point, I'm
> > crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
> > morning just to find this place to ask a question.

Thank you Whimpie -- That was easy, and I now know I only have SP1.

"Whimpie" wrote:

> I'm old to.Not sure but click my computer and click system information and
> see if it saids Sp1 or SP2,That is all I can help you with.
> "DJeanne" wrote:
>
> > I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows firewall
> > to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box doesn't
> > work.
> > Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
> > judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point, I'm
> > crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
> > morning just to find this place to ask a question.

Hello Bruce,
Thanks for the advice. I have SP1, but not SP2. One of my kids told me to
disable the firewall, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was he
said it would fix. After reading your note, I decided to leave it alone.
I'm going to have more trouble than I can handle with SP2, and don't want to
do anything else that might send me to a room with soft walls.
Thanks again,
Jeanne

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Greetings --
>
> To determine which Service Pack, if any, you have installed, click
> Start > Run, and type Winver in the field. Press <Enter>.
>
> As for disabling the firewall to avoid conflicts, that may be bad
> advice. What kind of "conflicts" are you trying to avoid?
>

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "DJeanne" <DJeanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows
> > firewall
> > to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run
> > Box doesn't
> > work.
> > Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my
> > better
> > judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this
> > point, I'm
> > crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me
> > all
> > morning just to find this place to ask a question.

i got a shorter shortcut, bruce. hehehe

window+break

what do you think? LOL!

> Greetings --
>
> To determine which Service Pack, if any, you have installed, click
> Start > Run, and type Winver in the field. Press <Enter>.
>
> As for disabling the firewall to avoid conflicts, that may be bad
> advice. What kind of "conflicts" are you trying to avoid?
>

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
>

> "DJeanne" <DJeanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows
>> firewall
>> to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box
>> doesn't
>> work.
>> Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
>> judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point,
>> I'm
>> crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
>> morning just to find this place to ask a question.

Break?????? I guess it's a good shortcut if I knew where "break" was.

"Dennis Lazo" wrote:

> i got a shorter shortcut, bruce. hehehe
>
> window+break
>
> what do you think? LOL!
>

> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings --
> >
> > To determine which Service Pack, if any, you have installed, click
> > Start > Run, and type Winver in the field. Press <Enter>.
> >
> > As for disabling the firewall to avoid conflicts, that may be bad
> > advice. What kind of "conflicts" are you trying to avoid?
> >

> > Bruce Chambers
> > --
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH
> >

> > "DJeanne" <DJeanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm not only new XP user, I'm old too. Been told to disable Windows
> >> firewall
> >> to avoid conflicts, but I can't find it. Typing wxcui.cpl in Run Box
> >> doesn't
> >> work.
> >> Just got new comuter about 2 weeks ago (with XP Home against my better
> >> judgement) and I can't figure out if I have SP1 or SP2. At this point,
> >> I'm
> >> crazed. Any help would be so very much appreciated! It's taken me all
> >> morning just to find this place to ask a question.

That was simple.Learned something again

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:21:05 -0700, DJeanne wrote:

> Break?????? I guess it's a good shortcut if I knew where "break" was.

Pause/Break key. Usually in the upper right hand area of the keyboard.
Close to the number pad if your keyboard has one.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Thanks, Sharon
Found it; probably never was lost, but was also never noticed :) Mine says
"Pause" and is under the "Wake Up" which is next to "Sleep." Good grief!!
I've had the same keyboard for years and suddenly all these new keys appear!!

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:21:01 -0700, DJeanne wrote:

> Thanks, Sharon
> Found it; probably never was lost, but was also never noticed :) Mine says
> "Pause" and is under the "Wake Up" which is next to "Sleep." Good grief!!
> I've had the same keyboard for years and suddenly all these new keys appear!!

<smile> Amazing what we notice or don't notice, isn't it? Especially if
you're a touch typist. Some of these extra keys are leftovers from the "old
days" (Pause/Brk, ScrLk, etc.)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User