Sign in with
Your question

Middle Eastern campaign in COD4

Last response: in Video Games
November 14, 2007 12:51:04 AM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide me information regarding the Arab role in COD4. I would really like to get it, but I will not buy any game that portrays the Arabs in a negative manner. I have played all the COD's for the computer since COD1 came out way back when. This is my all time favorite series and I would hate for it to be ruined by the latest installement being another racist, Arab-hating game. Any feedback concerning the Arab role in the plot will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
November 14, 2007 4:51:48 AM

Since you killed the fun of one post il kill the fun of your post.

The Arabs role is to die. They are terrorists and the American, British role is to kill them. i mean... its not like they kill them selfs... oh, wait LOL THEY DO.

Otherwise you spend about an hour or 2 killing Spetsnaz. or Misc. Russians.

GAME ON!
November 14, 2007 7:09:33 AM

LOL nice post madrox
Related resources
November 14, 2007 9:53:40 AM

Madrox said:
Since you killed the fun of one post il kill the fun of your post.

The Arabs role is to die. They are terrorists and the American, British role is to kill them. i mean... its not like they kill them selfs... oh, wait LOL THEY DO.

Otherwise you spend about an hour or 2 killing Spetsnaz. or Misc. Russians.

GAME ON!

I have to say that you're post is one of the most immature posts I've ever read.
I fail to see how he killed the "fun" of any post, and I don't see him showing any disrespect like you did. He asked a valid question, and he should get a valid answer.

tallguy1618, the game does portray Arabs in a negative manner.
November 14, 2007 10:02:59 AM

Quote:
I have to say that you're post is one of the most immature posts I've ever read.

If i don't annoy someone AT LEAST once a day... i start to feel soft. Its a good thing i don't care.
November 14, 2007 10:26:12 AM

So it's ok to kill whites? (Germans or otherwise) HYPOCRISY I SAY!
November 14, 2007 5:49:04 PM

Gee fellas, it is only game. Games are a form of art. NOW if art imitates life, them the current killing of Arabs (in this game) is an imitation of current day life where the Arabs came to America to kill us(not art) and we have and will retaliate in life and art.

It is not the ideology of Americans to strike first but we will defend and deter future attacks. I personally love the Arab people in general (Ohhh the food) but these are radicals we are talking about, not the general populace. Tallguy1618 surely you understand this. This is not racism it is a game that mimics life as we live it and see it today. It is also in a culture that has the funds and the spare time to develop art of this type, and play it. I think there are more racist games out there that stereotype people. Take the games that have black characters; there are drugs, theft, prostitution, rampant breaking of the law, etc. I don't play them, I don't denigrate those who do, I am black. However there are some portions of truth to the portrayal. I think reality and plausibility sell better in some markets than umrealistic fantasy. For me I cannot play games that have space aliens very well. I have no relational context for it, therefore for me I do not do well in those type of games. I think we play what we can relate to a lot of times. Sometimes we need fantasy, some times we need to blow off steam. I do not know of anybody that plays these games to exercise their racist outlook.

Sorry for the long post -wasn't planned it just came out. Tallguy 1618 ther is NO racism here that I can see and I have lived in "white" America for over 55 years. Also there is less racism between whites and blacks than what most people believe there is, but the minority group in every community believes that there is racism against their people. But, lets NOT bring racism into the gaming community, This should be a place where your skills rule - a place of true equal opportunity.
November 14, 2007 5:56:13 PM

Do people change sides to SAS just because they don't want to be on the OpFor side? No. Case closed. There are players and sides. The two sides fight each other until one team wins. Sometimes SAS/Spetz wins, sometimes OpFor wins.

If you dig into it more than that, I'm sure someone will find something to complain about.

@ bash007 - if *that's* one of the most immature posts you've ever read, you need to get out and about on the Internet a little more.
November 14, 2007 6:33:25 PM

tallguy1618 said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide me information regarding the Arab role in COD4. I would really like to get it, but I will not buy any game that portrays the Arabs in a negative manner. I have played all the COD's for the computer since COD1 came out way back when. This is my all time favorite series and I would hate for it to be ruined by the latest installement being another racist, Arab-hating game. Any feedback concerning the Arab role in the plot will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dont buy it. I bought it and the middle easterns in there look lik they are from 300.
November 14, 2007 6:59:46 PM

ok normally I don’t reply to any threads but this one just makes me rather angry. So first I have to understand what you are saying. "I have played all the COD's for the computer since COD1 came out way back when. This is my all time favorite series". So you are saying that it is ok to kill Germans and be "racist" against Germans but if Arabs are thrown into the mix suddenly its wrong. Now i can see what you are going to say, you are going to say that the other COD games where based on real events and that the Germans actually took apart in them. While COD4 is lacking in the "actual" events category it DOES NOT replace that fact the Arabs did attack the USA, and they have also done attacks against the British people. This game portrays what has happened (Afghanistan war and the Iraq war) and what could happen in the future (Iran gaining nuclear weapons and the fact the Saudi Arabia hates both England and the USA). As other posters have said in this thread the Arabs portrayed in this game are not the typical Arab people but radicals which I know are a low percentile. Now im sorry if I came off rude or anything but stuff like this angers me. I don’t understand why people have to bring race into EVERYTHING (i.e. the new resident evil game, Google it and you will understand). Just play the game and have fun.
November 14, 2007 7:28:52 PM

No man, I don't think you should be racist against anyone. But in the other COD's, you are fighting the Nazis, not the regular Germans. True, the Nazis were German, but they were extreamly evil and deserve(d) to die. That is why I don't have any reservations about killing Nazis in video games. If it was soley based on killing the Germans, Nazi or not, then i would not play it and never would have played it.
November 14, 2007 7:35:09 PM

also dark, I know wat you mean. I think forde explained it pretty well when he said that the minority group always feels like there is racism against them. Like awhile back in football when the indian tribes were getting mad because of names like the Redskins. They are in the minority, so every little thing pertaining to their culture will get eaten up and called racism. I'm just sick of the way the Arabs are being treated right now in the world, but this is a digital entertainment website, not a political one, and I'm sorry if anyone is offended. I meant no harm by this topic.
November 14, 2007 8:00:30 PM

nazis had a point of view and they believed it was right and they fight for what they believed. I don't support them but i think that's what people do
November 14, 2007 8:04:59 PM

you are right, it is the same thing the radicals are doing. I do NOT approve of what they are doing and the means by which they are doing it, but they are fighting for what they belive in.
November 14, 2007 10:36:12 PM

Personally I could care less what group of people you are shooting at. In "World in Conflict" you are shooting Russians in a "alternate timeline" in which the cold war heats up. In COD 1 you are Russian (at some point) and you are killing Germans. So what! They are GAMES. How much fun would they be if they all featured round paper bullseye targets? Ohhhh look at that bullseye it is huge! If we were playing rock, paper, scissors it could cover a huge rock! Shoot it quick before it covers us!!
November 14, 2007 11:28:13 PM

Mainstream media and games has washed your mind. It's a powerful tool.
November 16, 2007 12:47:28 AM

Half the game is about a civil war in Russia where Russian warheads are sold/stolen.

The other half is about extremists in the destination of those warheads seizing control from the Civilian leadership. Although Iran is not specified by name, I'm pretty sure that's where it's depicted.

As with all other Call of Duty games, there are no civilians in combat levels, and the US/UK are portrayed as heroes.

There is some Iranian on Iranian violence, in the opening interactive credits.

In Multiplayer, all four sides, Marine, SAS, Spetznaz and OpFor, are portrayed evenly, with no side being indicated as "bad".

It's in the same neighborhood as Pandemic's "Full Spectrum Warrior" as far as how Arabs are depicted.

Tallguy, can you name some games that are acceptable to your standards?

Also, can anyone identify what langage the Opfor team speaks?

---

[Edit]

Crap, on second thought, it might be Saudi Arabia.

Whether it would be considered "anti arab" or not, I find a scenario where US troops are deployed in response to fundamentalists overthrowing the Saudi Government to be disturbingly plausible.
November 16, 2007 2:02:41 AM

Its a game people. period end-o-story. I don't think that the company that made COD would purposefully portray arabs in a bad manner for risk of losing a large audience, and/or getting in lawsuits. If arabs are portrayed bad in that game its because they are the bad guys in that game, not because they are racist.
November 16, 2007 5:03:52 PM

It's poeple like this that changed the Christmas Tree into the Holiday Tree. Also in the gamem an ultranationalist group took over "a middle eastern" country. There's a scene where the old president of the country is murdered, you can tell the country is at civil war with the bad guys as there are scene's that indicate a country in termoil. I personally don't think anyone figure in the game portray's anything in the real world. Meaning, the middle eastern foes you fight are simply fictional charectors with no background.

To futher a personal feeling. Some Middle Eastern countries seem to do nothing but want to ruin the rest of the world and this is in real life. They kill and slaughter innocent humans everyday. They also make real plans and attacks to destroy our home country. They want nothing more than to cripple the top countries in the world. So why the hell can't we write a game, a fictional peice of art, to irradicate these "fictional" but realistic foes? Are we that sensative?
November 16, 2007 6:00:34 PM

The president of Iran gave the game a glowing review lol

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27970.html (this is obviously a joke for you so serious ppl)

Since we're on "feelings", the US (gov) isn't innocent either, condoning torture and installing it's own dictators (or keeping allied dictators in power), can say the same for alot of countries.
November 18, 2007 8:13:11 PM

tallguy1618 said:
No man, I don't think you should be racist against anyone. But in the other COD's, you are fighting the Nazis, not the regular Germans. True, the Nazis were German, but they were extreamly evil and deserve(d) to die. That is why I don't have any reservations about killing Nazis in video games. If it was soley based on killing the Germans, Nazi or not, then i would not play it and never would have played it.

Lets use your words against you, shall we:
But in COD4, you are fighting Arab extremists, not the regular Arabs. True, the Extremists were Arab, but they were extreamly evil and deserve(d) to die. That is why I don't have any reservations about killing Extremists in video games. If it was soley based on killing the Arabs, Extremists or not, then i would not play it and never would have played it.

See any similarities, I hope I wasn't too subtle?
November 19, 2007 8:42:56 PM

I hate to kick in on a five-day-old post, but ... It's an unnamed Middle Eastern country. If violence against our peace-loving Arab friends rubs you wrong, assume they are Iranians; Persians are not Arabs. Heck, you could even pretend they were Israelis. Although I suppose that would make the game science fiction...

Perhaps you could pretend they're a clone army of George Bushes disguised as Arabs. Dude, it's a game. I can understand your desire to not support products that disrespect your ethnic group (or perhaps only an ethnic group with which you identify), but COD4 can't do anything for the reputation of Arabs as a group that reality doesn't do daily.

In WW2 we fought the Germans. Most Wermacht soldiers were not Nazi party members - not even all SS soldiers were. The Nazis were certainly evil, but they had nothing on today's Islamic radicals. If you can separate Germans (who might be fighting only because they happened to be Germans, or even conscripted Poles, Rumanians, etc.) then you shouldn't have any trouble separating Arabs who are good people from terrorists and murdering dogs.
November 19, 2007 9:27:35 PM

tallguy1618 said:

They just show whats going on right now; so either you agree with that stuff and in turn will not play COD4. Or you do not support radical suicide bombers and so you should be fine with COD4. I do not see how they could portray arabs in a bad way quite simply? They only show soldiers who are fighting and some very violent leaders. And of course executions which DO happen.
!