Should I Wait for Dual Channel DDR?

I need a motherboard "bad"!

I'm running an Iwill BD100 (4 years old - pre-ATX)--along with a PII 400 and 500 MB RAM--but all my other components & peripherals are nice & new, so I simply need to REBUILD the FOUNDATION!

So, should I wait for the unveiling of Dual Channel DDR motherboards? But that means more than 3 weeks, because I probably should not pounce on one of these boards immediately anyway, right? but give the manufacturers a month or two to work out the bugs, yes?

So, it would seem I'm back to buying what is proven/reviewed well right NOW.... ; ( At least I can buy the other components for easy upgrade to Dual Channel capability!

Barry Sindlinger
International Award-Winning Pianist-Composer
"Making Good Pianists UNIQUELY Great, by...
Bridging the Gaps in Traditional Music Training"
8 answers Last reply
More about should wait dual channel
  1. Hey P,

There will always be something better if you wait just a little longer! My advice to you(& everyone who is waitting): Wait until you absolutely NEED a new system, then & only then buy the best system based on the research that you have already done of many different sources. Do not ask a community what to do, unless you have been following a certain members posts & you feel you trust that person. Every forum has it's Trolls & mis-informed people, take charge of your purchase & make your own choices. Good Luck

Peace Out..............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing
  2. i agree with tile fully.

that said ill just say that i cancelled my rambus order the day it was shipping. i had been waiting over a month for it, and when it was finaly time to get it, the dual ddr mobos for p4 with agp8x and all the works start hitting the news. so i for one am waiting that little more time it takes to get it. not only that but think of the money your saving! lol, if you were going to get rambus, that $100 saved. if you were getting a p4, well the cost of the processors are going down about 24% when the 3.06p4 with hyperthreading is realeased i think on the 14-15th, ill probably get the 2.6 since that will be nice and low(half the 3.06 or less) and consider that a savings for upgrading the cpu again in the future, or towards buying that nv30 that will be in stores in december! to each their own though of course!
  3. Quote:
    Wait until you absolutely NEED a new system

Right on man. That's computer buying in a nutshell. My biggest mistakes were buying something that seemed cool and then 60 days later it was half the price or had been displaced by something twice as good. If you are tempted to wait, you are being tempted to be wise.

John A
  4. > Wait until you absolutely NEED a new system.

Sorry - it's not that easy...

Do I absolutely NEED a new system? No - I can continue editing my audio files with my PII w/SDRAM (100Mhz) and ATA-33. But - running a simple audio "cut" (of a 15-sec section) can take 45 seconds. This is counterproductive.

So, Yes, I NEED to upgrade. But do I "absolutely" NEED to do it this week? No, I've lasted this long; I can last another 2 weeks -- IF IF IF it's likely that a mobo manufacturer will get Dual DDR RIGHT, out of the starting gate!

IOW, it's a tradeoff, a risk assessment. Some of you have more experience with upgrades, with mobo, with the manufacturers. That is why I ask YOU, "Is it likely that a mobo will get Dual DDR RIGHT within the next month?" If not quite likely, I will buy a Single DDR mobo NOW...and wait 2-3 months for the reviews & the kinks to be ironed out, then upgrade to Dual DDR (hoping to re-use my DDR-333).

Barry Sindlinger
  5. Hey P,

I don't know how you think someone from any forum can tell you the complete truth about a product that is not even out yet. Why would you believe that any product is going to be perfect with it's first version release? Right now, if this dual channel DDR chipset were to come out, it's performance would not be that much greater than RD-Ram or Single Channel DDR(in a Athlon based System), in the overall system performance(if it was even better at all). It is going to take a little while longer to optimize the chipsets & cpus together to take advantage of the higher bandwidth of the dual channel ddr. Again, wait 1 year, after Dual Channel DDR comes out...........that will give everyone time to implement the new technology & integrate into the x86 system. Or you could get a new system right now. Good Luck

Peace Out............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing
  6. tile, I love your SIG! ; )

However, your logic's gone soft (and unhelpful):

You wrote:
    > I don't know how you think someone from any forum can tell you the complete truth about a product that is not even out yet. <

And where in my note did I imply "tell [me] the complete truth"? [The note to which you replied is excerpted below for your convenient reference.]

You might note that I was asking about what more experienced board members *think* based on their *experience,* what seems *likely* while admitting but *assessing risk* (again, based on experience & knowledge).

No new product can be trusted absolutely -- but certain products betray certain tendencies toward "high risk of significant problems out of the box." Experts in a given field often sense where the land mines are - by research, reason & intuition.

For instance, has any mobo manufacturer EVER released a mobo that was virtually flawless in the marketplace? Which one? This would contribute toward the answering of my question.

Here are two more good questions: Is there a rational reason why new mobo releases "ought" routinely to be avoided? (e.g., some software experts warn about the inherent unreliabilities of software, esp. initial releases & over-complex spawns--is there reason why this is or is not STRICTLY applicable to mobos?)

Finally, perhaps going to Dual DDR is conceptually & technologically so simple that it's very likely a particular manufacturer with typically great builds will get it right the first time?!

The higher the likelihood, the higher my aptitude for buying in 3 weeks.

The bottom line is that it is not unreasonable for me to wonder if insiders, experts & the well-experienced may know more than I about the **likelihood** of a new mobo release being stable & superior.

[ See, a little logic provokes thought -- or is it the other way around?! -- but, in any case, it's very often NOT painful! ; 7 } ]

My earlier note, to which you replied (with a wily "straw man"):
    >> IF IF IF it's likely that a mobo manufacturer will get Dual DDR RIGHT, out of the starting gate!

IOW, it's a tradeoff, a risk assessment. Some of you have more experience with upgrades, with mobo, with the manufacturers. That is why I ask YOU, "Is it likely that a mobo will get Dual DDR RIGHT within the next month?" If not quite likely, I will buy a Single DDR mobo NOW...and wait 2-3 months for the reviews & the kinks to be ironed out, then upgrade to Dual DDR (hoping to re-use my DDR-333). <<

Barry Sindlinger
  7. I enjoyed reading you...

IF someone is to produce an "almost" perfect motherboard, chances are it will be an intel chipset...

from MY experience they are the only ones who did in the past (440BX) Any major Manufacturer, Intel, ASUS Abit, Gigabyte, MSI... Is just waiting for the chips to come.

On the dark side, Intel also released some real lousy chips in the past i810, i815, i820... P4 willamette... 478 celerys... crap! And I'm not even trying to say a word about their graphics adapters!

My bet is (as good or bad as any) is the next 845 board to be produced (the one with dual DDR) will be late. I'm talking about it being in stores around Valentines day at best. at that point, you chose youre player be it ASUS, Abit, GB, ECS, EPOX, FIC, or MSI
    Even AOPEN, Biostar, leadtek and Chaintek will have a board ready. within a month of Intel's release.

Don't wait, Buy an Athlon! LOL
  8. Hey P,

More soft logic(most likely unhelpful as well):

Just get a new system, when you need to, not before or after. Make the choice based on real reviews from people who will sign the article with their real name. Lastly, if it is not the best system for more than a day, don't sweat your now less than the fastest system, be happy anyway, you made the best system with the knowledge that you trusted at the time that you purchased the parts. There will always be something just around the corner that is faster/better/cost less.

After reading your post many times, I still don't know why you would ask a forum this question: "Should I wait for Dual Channel DDR?". I know you think people "in the know/industry" would be more knowledgable than most, but do you know these people & their THGC user name's? If you do, why don't you send them a private message(so simple idiots, like myself won't waste your time with soft/unhelpful logic). If you don't know these experts, how do you know who to trust? My solution: Read this site everyday & email the authors of the articles directly

http://www.8dimensional.com/

It has all the major reviews of almost everything, just filter out the articles/reviews of things that have no use to you.

About getting Dual Channel DDR right the first time(in less than a month): Dual Channel DDR is out in the form of the nVidia nForce/nForce2 chipsets. Are they better than the other chipsets? Not really. Are they Stable? Yes. You could say they have gotten them right the first time. The thing is like I said in a earlier post, they are not going to make a big impact until AMD & Intel optimize their CPUs to use this chipset & bandwidth.

Last question this post: If you are planning to upgrade your mobo right now & again in 3 months "If not quite likely, I plan to buy a Single Channel DDR mobo NOW... and wait 2-3 months for reviews & kinks to be ironed out". Why ask anyone their opinion? Just do it & be happy, you will be cutting edge, no matter what I think. Good luck

Peace Out.................tile

Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Dual Channel