Sign in with
Your question

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Review

Last response: in Video Games
November 14, 2007 1:27:26 PM

Review written by Rob Wright.

Call of Duty gets a brilliant makeover with Modern Warfare, which brings the World War II shooter series to the present day. Is Call of Duty 4 the best title of the series?

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/11/14/callofduty4_review/
November 14, 2007 2:00:08 PM

Nice review, but what difficulty were you playing at? 10 hours to complete the campaign is about 4 hours too long... unless you were playing insane or something.
November 14, 2007 2:54:58 PM

SEALBoy said:
Nice review, but what difficulty were you playing at? 10 hours to complete the campaign is about 4 hours too long... unless you were playing insane or something.

I played it on Hardened, and took my time with it. Hey, what can I say? I'm not very good. Plus, the dogs kept tearing me to shreds. I had real problems timing my melee attacks on the pooches.
Related resources
November 14, 2007 3:16:10 PM

robwright said:
I played it on Hardened, and took my time with it. Hey, what can I say? I'm not very good. Plus, the dogs kept tearing me to shreds. I had real problems timing my melee attacks on the pooches.

lol its ok Rob, my roommate is playing it on the same difficulty and he cant beat the part where you have to run down the hill from the barn and get to the chopper before they leave you in like a minute and a half or so...lol i think he just quit!

Best,

3Ball
November 14, 2007 3:24:59 PM

Awesome review Awesome game!
November 14, 2007 3:28:16 PM

3Ball said:
lol its ok Rob, my roommate is playing it on the same difficulty and he cant beat the part where you have to run down the hill from the barn and get to the chopper before they leave you in like a minute and a half or so...lol i think he just quit!

Best,

3Ball

Oh that section gave me fits, too. Very challenging, especially with the clock running. It took me a while to figure out that I could use the air strike command more than once, which helped. And the minigun was just awesome.
November 14, 2007 3:38:58 PM

You didn't talk about the Airplane shoot-out to rescue someone. The difficult level you play at changes the time limit which really turns up the heat. One of my favorite missions.
November 14, 2007 4:00:52 PM

I see, I played on Normal because I knew from past experience that Hardened in CoD could be a b!tch to get through on some firefights. Hats off to you if you managed to finish the game on Hardened.

What part did the dogs keep getting you?

@3Ball, that part was pretty bad even on Normal, in the end I just ran like a chicken all the way down to the gas pump with the nice window tiles. Can't imagine how it'd be on Hardened.

I absolutely loved the part where you're playing as Price and have to hold off against an onslaught of baddies with a sniper. I lost count of how many suckers fell under my majestic sniper...
November 14, 2007 4:07:03 PM

I haven't played the single player campaign yet, but the multiplayer is astounding. It is by far the most intense and realistic feeling shooter I have ever played. The audio is really top notch for all of the gunfire and explosions. I also love that you can shoot through walls (especially with the Deep Impact perk). I hope the modding community goes to town with COD4 as they much as they did with COD2. The only complaint I have so far is the limited number of levels, but, I'm sure the community is in the process of making new ones. I didn't know what to expect for COD4, but it definitely one of the 2 or 3 games I have ever played (the multiplayer is definitely better than Halo 3).
November 14, 2007 4:49:45 PM

SEALBoy said:
I see, I played on Normal because I knew from past experience that Hardened in CoD could be a b!tch to get through on some firefights. Hats off to you if you managed to finish the game on Hardened.

What part did the dogs keep getting you?

Sniper mission when you're playing as Price and have to run like hell to the landing zone. Before you enter the apartment building, there's that section where a bunch of Russian soldiers come at you amidst wrecked cars and two busses. Then all the sudden, two hell hounds come screaming out of the bushes. Aaarrrgghhh....

Yes, the game is extremely difficult in some areas at Hardened, the mad dash BACK down the hill to the helicopter being one of them. Still great fun, though.
November 14, 2007 5:33:33 PM

OK, I don't like being the lone stick in the mud, but I thought the multiplayer was absolutely horrible as far as gameplay went. Visually it's great... but it's Counterstrike. If you were to blindfold me and sit me in front of a PC running it, my first impression would've been that this was a CS:S mod. The points system is totally bolted on - points are stored locally, not on a server. So if I play from my laptop or from my desktop with the same account, my points will be different.

Now all that alone isn't the end of the world. For me, the worst thing about it was that there is no way to form distinguishable squads. The action is so chaotic - which sometimes is a good thing but it's like that on ALL maps - that if you're trying to play with friends on teamspeak, it's virtually impossible to keep track of them, where they are, what they're doing, etc. If I could just make them a different color in the minimap, I'd be happy.

My final gripe is the balance of the game. The weapon unlocks give the guys that play seven hours a day SO much more of an advantage that it's ridiculous. If you're on a map with an M16 - or even the M4 or MP5, and the rest of the guys on the map have P90's, you might as well leave the server because your kill:D eath ratio is going to end up being around 1:10.

Like I said, I hate to be a stick in the mud since we're having a big CoD4 love-in here, but I feel like I wasted my $50 on a single player game that lasts 6 hours, and a multiplayer game that's unoriginal and unbalanced.

But hey... it IS pretty, you can't argue with that.
November 14, 2007 5:41:33 PM

One of the best games i have ever played , very addictive, very nice story and also very nice graphics too
November 14, 2007 6:34:09 PM

It's addictive online with such nice gfx
November 14, 2007 6:39:28 PM

I Love this game, the hell with crysis. I'm not even done the campaign, and I want more. This is by far the best of the series, call of Duty, and COD 2 we're good, but this is great! My hats off to Infinity Ward, they kicked some Treyarc butt. FPS games belong on PC, that was the mistake with COD3. Anyways I love it. nice review.
November 14, 2007 7:49:38 PM

Rob, didn't you help Gaz from PC Gamer build his PC, he was braggin you up in his article last month.. I could use some help : )
November 14, 2007 8:47:42 PM

I havent played Crysis yet so I can't really talk about that, but people have been complaining that CoD4 is unoriginal and linear. I don't get their point. So what? It doesn't matter if the game isn't terribly innovative, as long as its fun as hell to play. Enjoy a game because it's fun, not "new".
November 14, 2007 9:00:49 PM

amazing game. i only have an amd fx-55 with a 7900gt. Lets me play at 1440x900 with max everything settings. Developers need to learn how to optimize a game like these guys!
November 14, 2007 11:43:48 PM

I give major credit to the guys at Infinity Ward. Despite being brand new it still runs better and looks nicer than COD2 ever did for me. The single player did feel a bit short but that is because i dont think any of it was a redundant as COD2 was at some points.

Yeah, the multiplayer does feel a bit like CS (then again what do i know, i never played CS). My beef with multiplayer is the maps feeling to small, then again i played a lot of the Battlefield series so that spoiled me some.

It is still a sweet game though, totally worth the $50.
November 15, 2007 3:13:50 AM

itotallybelieveyou said:
It's addictive online with such nice gfx

Unfortunately my internet connection is very poor :(  (only 19.5kb/s) so i mostly dont play online
November 15, 2007 3:46:46 AM

The biggest graphical improvement over COD2 IMO was the lighting. Smoke is the same, textures I haven't bothered to look at much. But flares etc add alot to the atmosphere especially at night.

On the topic of difficulty levels, has anyone played through on veteran? Or don't they have it in this one? I'm still playing COD2 through on veteran.

EDIT: Rob, what's the specs for your PC?
November 15, 2007 12:04:16 PM

Yea this Game Rocks, Almost done with it on sinlge player on hardened. The Huge Battles are very Intense. The worst part about being on hardened is you can die in like 2 shots from a powerful weapon like an AK-47. The single player is freaking amazing. After im Done I will try the game on veteran, Might die in 1 hit lol. Also I remember that mission with the Dogs. I just shoot at them they didnt even get close enough for me to melee them.
November 15, 2007 4:38:53 PM

I would agree this game is amazing.

FYI in your review you mentioned it only supports 18 in multiplayer, I believe that is only for consoles, I am pretty sure the limit is higher for pc, for example my clan has a 28 slot server we are playing it on.

For those of you not liking the fairness of the points system, all those advanced guns get dropped so you are free to pick them up and use them. Plus a lot of people have been using the Xfire mod to play. It levels the playing field, by offering everyone most all the guns, and certain perks.
November 15, 2007 6:01:11 PM

seeker1321 said:
I would agree this game is amazing.

FYI in your review you mentioned it only supports 18 in multiplayer, I believe that is only for consoles, I am pretty sure the limit is higher for pc, for example my clan has a 28 slot server we are playing it on.

For those of you not liking the fairness of the points system, all those advanced guns get dropped so you are free to pick them up and use them. Plus a lot of people have been using the Xfire mod to play. It levels the playing field, by offering everyone most all the guns, and certain perks.

Good catch, thanks. I meant to clarify that point -- consoles have 18 player limit, PC has 32. Therefore PC rules! Still, I thought it was worth mentioning as a flaw in the game that most version of CoD4 can only support 18 players online.

Did I mention the PC version blows away the console version?
November 15, 2007 6:18:34 PM

randomizer said:
The biggest graphical improvement over COD2 IMO was the lighting. Smoke is the same, textures I haven't bothered to look at much. But flares etc add alot to the atmosphere especially at night.

On the topic of difficulty levels, has anyone played through on veteran? Or don't they have it in this one? I'm still playing COD2 through on veteran.

EDIT: Rob, what's the specs for your PC?

I ran CoD4 on a Gateway FX, Intel quad core 2.66 Ghz with a single 8800 GTX and 3 GB of memory. I had all the settings at Yes or Normal (except dual video cards setting, obviously) with 4X AA and a max resolution of 1680x1050 (which coincidentally were NOT the game's optimal settings) and it ran perfectly. I didn't run any benchmarks for frame rates, but I'll probably do that in the next week or so. I agree that Infinity Ward has done an excellent job optimizing this game. It can run on current hardware AND look fantastic, unlike a certain other FPS title that was release this week....maybe a comparison is in order....
November 15, 2007 10:01:13 PM

robwright said:
maybe a comparison is in order....

You can do it! :sol: 

Interesting how the "optimal settings" style options have changed in recent games. In COD2, it would nearly always default to lowest settings except for textures, and set the resolution at 800x600 or 1024x768. Pretty much the same for all past titles. COD4 and another "FPS title that was released this week" both set them higher (especially the "other", which sets them too high for me :lol: ).

And what I really like about this game graphically is that they didn't use Oblivion style cartoon HDR where the sunlight on stone can blind you, and they also didn't use the UT3/"other title"/DiRT style desaturated HDR where green looks like brown.
November 15, 2007 10:50:18 PM

I managed to squeeze in enough time to get to level 25 or so, and got through through Veteran difficulty. I now also spontaneously jump for cover every time someone drops silverware in the office.

Mutiplayer, I think is going to be a Love it or Hate it sort of thing. Some of the maps are way too small for the number of people supported. Think Unreal Tournament, but with high explosives.

If you're having problems getting early points, I suggest using the RPK, with lots of kaboom, and playing Headquarters, until you get a feel for the tempo of the game.

Playing with the default FOV makes my brain hurt. Recommend upping it if your video hardware can handle it..

PC is the same one Rob used.
November 16, 2007 1:44:28 AM

I can honestly say that the graphics were drop dead gorgeous... and I'm coming off the heels of Lost Planet, which was no slouch itself.

I have never seen such a satisfying spray of blood from 5 bullets slamming into a torso...
November 28, 2007 4:35:23 AM

Those of you that have played COD4 online, help me out. I hated BF2142 because of the unlock system. It seemed to place a tremendous handicap on new players whilst giving an advantage to the veterans. I thought that was profoundly stupid, why should you be giving extra advantages to people who are also more familiar with the game? I know why, of course, because EA tied the unlocks into the ranked servers that they profit off of, people have to rent their servers to be able to level up. I was heartbroken when I heard that COD4 was going to have a VERY similar sounding unlock system, because I still play COD2 online a lot and was looking forward to a switch to modern weapons. I used to be a big CS player, but stopped once Valve first adopted Steam back before HL2 was out. So the comparisons to CS are really a positive for me.

If I hated BF2142 because of the unlocks am I going to hate COD4 for the same reason? It's not the SP game I'm interested in, I want online MP.
November 28, 2007 2:58:04 PM

Nomad76 said:
Those of you that have played COD4 online, help me out. I hated BF2142 because of the unlock system. It seemed to place a tremendous handicap on new players whilst giving an advantage to the veterans. I thought that was profoundly stupid, why should you be giving extra advantages to people who are also more familiar with the game? I know why, of course, because EA tied the unlocks into the ranked servers that they profit off of, people have to rent their servers to be able to level up. I was heartbroken when I heard that COD4 was going to have a VERY similar sounding unlock system, because I still play COD2 online a lot and was looking forward to a switch to modern weapons. I used to be a big CS player, but stopped once Valve first adopted Steam back before HL2 was out. So the comparisons to CS are really a positive for me.

If I hated BF2142 because of the unlocks am I going to hate COD4 for the same reason? It's not the SP game I'm interested in, I want online MP.

Well, Nomad, I'm not very good at FPS multiplayer games, especially fast-paced games like CoD4. But I found that the unlock/upgrade system for CoD4 worked well and was quite fair; you didn't have to be a world beater and rack up tons of kills to score experience points, which is a big plus. So you can move up in rank and get better weapons even if you struggle mightily through the first 1-2 hours of multiplayer. And if you're starting out, I recommend going with Assault or Special Ops classes and then move up from there. I've seen too many people start out with the Sniper or Demolition classes and get rocked (weapons are big factor, and once you can customize classes, I suggest ditching the Sniper sidearm pistol -- it's frakkin' useless).
November 28, 2007 10:00:15 PM

It's not hard to rack up points and new stuff in BF2142, BF2 was far worse, and the jump from 10000-20000 points and then like 50000 just for a single new weapon was pathetic.

I'm still wondering if I should get this game, I wasn't particularly interested in the demo (probably because it was so short), but everybody seems to love it. Hmm, maybe I should get a PC that can play it first :lol: 
December 4, 2007 5:20:32 AM

I HATE FPS and I HATED COD1,2,3. I HATED these games because they were boring, you had to kill 1000 enemies to pass a level and I felt like a mouse in a lab with straight forward levels.

I love COD4 I was off FPS games after the demise of CS with HL2. But this is a great game. the gameplay is great and the pace is fast, exciting, but also not dependent on your skills to click a button at an object. I've noticed in COD4 if you position your character in good positions and cover certain points your team mates will do a lot of the work for you. If course you need to shoot some people, but unlike most (all) FPS you don't need to kill 50% of the enemies on a map to get past the level, this mean strategy, positions and killing key enemies is good enough. This not only makes the game realistic but makes the game much more playable and fun. A good example of this is the TV station level.
December 6, 2007 1:04:03 AM

loved it. Took my brother over 10h to play due to lag lol. Rember that mission were you the tv missiles? Takes about 10 mins and took over 45mins for him to play. Gotta love slow-motion.
December 12, 2007 3:44:17 AM

I loved the original COD myself, but wasn't a big fan of 2 and 3, partly because I was a little worn out on the WWII genre. I have to say I haven't played a game this much online since the Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Counter Strike Source. It's the best console game I've played in my opinion, I've played it on both the 360 and PS3 and it's great either way. I bought it for my PS3 since it's the first game I felt was a must have for it that has a great online gaming experience. I think the single player had some very original levels, especially "death from above," with the C-130. I played that level 4 times in a row. They really captured the essence of the C-130 gunship tactics, visuals, and crew and the way they communicate, well at least from what I have seen on youtube. The other 2 levels that really stand out to me was the level where you shoot from the Blackhawk and the sniper level, all three levels were excellent and made the single player a definite must play. I can't forget the ending as well, for those who haven't played I won't say what it was, but it was very original. I hope they (the gaming industry), continue to make games that transfer well to console and keep the PC feel. I hate most online console games because they have that arcade feel where you have to shoot people 25 times to kill them, that sucks. If they continue to make games like this, my 8800GTS might be the last video card I buy for a while. (yeah right)
December 15, 2007 8:39:01 PM

ive been play cod4 singleplayer, I think Im almost finished. Its kinda ho hum, typical ww2 shooter. A little monotonous at times. Great graphics. Cant wait to try the multiplayer though.
December 15, 2007 10:02:45 PM

MrsBytch said:
ive been play cod4 singleplayer, I think Im almost finished. Its kinda ho hum, typical ww2 shooter. A little monotonous at times. Great graphics. Cant wait to try the multiplayer though.

Except for the fact it's not WW2...:p  Try the multiplayer though; that's the most fun thing about CoD4. The multiplayer is amazing.
December 17, 2007 5:16:43 PM

Justin, Ive played a few hours on the multiplayer now. I havent tried every map but it doesnt seem much different to me than counterstrike. The graphics are great but Im not swept off my feet. I've been playing BF2 and AA for a few years now and this game just hasnt quite grabbed my interest in the same way.
January 4, 2008 12:43:57 PM

[#1c00e2] :wahoo:  hi to everyone
read your experiences with cod4, i am one who enjoys very much the exquisite graphics (although my X850XT didn't allow me more then 1024x) but...
i have to disagree with a post here that puts one of the game feature as a plus: i speak about the bullets going through walls, doors, metal sheets and stuff...ah, well, i don't like it, or plainly put i hate it! i mean any dork that shoots randomly at walls knowing that i am inside can get me! i want to give the feedback to game makers! Please change it! it does unjustice to any skilled player who bases himself on reflexes and experience...Can we make a petition about?
And yes, i love the fast pace of the MP side but sometimes i do lack the delicacy of some BF2 maps and roleplays (and also their possibility to drive almost anything driveable)...
But in rest COD4 is a wonderful experience and well spent 50 bucks, thanks guyz from Infinity, looking forward for your next title, cheers everybody and hi from Romania.
January 4, 2008 4:44:14 PM

I love that bullets go through walls. It drove me nuts that people could hide behind a cardboard box in some games. You can hide behind some material (concrete, cinderblock, etc) but a plasterboard wall won't stop a rifle bullet. I think it's great! Plus it still works to hide because it's hard to hit what you cant see.

The unlock system seems pretty fair honestly because you start with solid weapons. The later weapons are a little better, but you can play with an M16 or MP5 through the entire game without any real handicap (just get the red-dot asap).

January 4, 2008 9:07:43 PM

Actually the bullet penetration is ridiculous in this game if you have the Deep Impact perk on. I light machine gun can shoot through at least 2-3 concrete walls. In fact, my AK47 shot through concrete.
February 17, 2008 1:27:59 PM

Someone knows how to disable fps in COD 4?? I was able to enable fps by writing in the console comand "cg_drawfps 1" but I dont know hot to disable it!! please help
February 19, 2008 1:34:22 AM

Nerox said:
Someone knows how to disable fps in COD 4?? I was able to enable fps by writing in the console comand "cg_drawfps 1" but I dont know hot to disable it!! please help

To set frame rate in COD4, from console (going above 125 is pointless):

/cg_maxfps 125

To show frame rate from console:

/cg_drawFPS 1
February 19, 2008 2:44:06 PM

barrone said:
[#1c00e2] :wahoo:  hi to everyone
read your experiences with cod4, i am one who enjoys very much the exquisite graphics (although my X850XT didn't allow me more then 1024x) but...
i have to disagree with a post here that puts one of the game feature as a plus: i speak about the bullets going through walls, doors, metal sheets and stuff...ah, well, i don't like it, or plainly put i hate it! i mean any dork that shoots randomly at walls knowing that i am inside can get me! i want to give the feedback to game makers! Please change it! it does unjustice to any skilled player who bases himself on reflexes and experience...Can we make a petition about?
And yes, i love the fast pace of the MP side but sometimes i do lack the delicacy of some BF2 maps and roleplays (and also their possibility to drive almost anything driveable)...
But in rest COD4 is a wonderful experience and well spent 50 bucks, thanks guyz from Infinity, looking forward for your next title, cheers everybody and hi from Romania.

As somebody who has served in the army and have real life experience, I can say i agree. the 5.56 on an m-16/M-4 is not going to penetrate through solid concrete blocks, end of story, neither will the 7.62 on an AK. Sheet metal, yes. the simple wood/mud/drywall yes, boxes yes. The M-60 if enough fire is laid down will eventually penetrate concrete as well with the m-249, but again it has to chip away at the concrete so it would take a little time. Basically the only thing in the game that should be able to shoot through everything is the .50cal sniper rifle. Also, I dont get why the SA-80 wasnt included in the game since the SAS were the primary faction and the british assault rifle is the SA-80.
!