geoff

What is the problem with SP2 for XP? There seems to be an increasing
number of programs that give trouble after downloading this service pack.
Other newsgroups are also reporting problems with it.
So far I have resisted the temptation to install it and until the number of
problems diminish, I will continue to do so. The old adage "If it ain't
broke don't fix it" is worth bearing in mind sometimes.

I just wonder how much beta testing is performed on these updates before
they are released.

Any comments?

Geoff.

SP2 is a solid, secure release. It is a major "Critical Update"
for Windows XP and updates about 5 million lines of code,
enabling much stronger security, stability, and affords a tad better
performance benefit. SP2 was extensively tested on hundreds of
thousands of various computer configurations over a period of
many, many months. The final release of SP2 is fine and you should
not have problems installing it.

You may wish to view the following:

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Package (Direct Download):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

I would suggest performing the following maintenance prior to
installing SP2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

After installing SP2, run the above maintenance utilities again, then perform a Defrag:

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Geoff" wrote:

| What is the problem with SP2 for XP? There seems to be an increasing
| number of programs that give trouble after downloading this service pack.
| Other newsgroups are also reporting problems with it.
| So far I have resisted the temptation to install it and until the number of
| problems diminish, I will continue to do so. The old adage "If it ain't
| broke don't fix it" is worth bearing in mind sometimes.
|
| I just wonder how much beta testing is performed on these updates before
| they are released.
|
| Any comments?
|
| Geoff.

Hi

Have a look at the following article:

"What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx#XSLTsection126121120120

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Geoff" <someone@somewhere.sometime> wrote in message
> What is the problem with SP2 for XP? There seems to be an increasing
> number of programs that give trouble after downloading this service pack.
> Other newsgroups are also reporting problems with it.
> So far I have resisted the temptation to install it and until the number
> of
> problems diminish, I will continue to do so. The old adage "If it ain't
> broke don't fix it" is worth bearing in mind sometimes.
>
> I just wonder how much beta testing is performed on these updates before
> they are released.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Geoff.

no problems here.

"Geoff" <someone@somewhere.sometime> wrote in message
> What is the problem with SP2 for XP? There seems to be an increasing
> number of programs that give trouble after downloading this service pack.
> Other newsgroups are also reporting problems with it.
> So far I have resisted the temptation to install it and until the number
> of
> problems diminish, I will continue to do so. The old adage "If it ain't
> broke don't fix it" is worth bearing in mind sometimes.
>
> I just wonder how much beta testing is performed on these updates before
> they are released.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Geoff.

Geoff;
If you do not have all the necessary updates, your computer may
already be broken.
Just because you do not know it does not make it all OK.

There is a wealth of information from Microsoft and others to assist
installing SP-2.
You should research your particular configuration to identify and
resolve possible problem areas in advance.
Some of this information can be found on the link here:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Also see the Service Pack Installation Checklist before installing
SP-2:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Geoff" <someone@somewhere.sometime> wrote in message
> What is the problem with SP2 for XP? There seems to be an
> increasing
> number of programs that give trouble after downloading this service
> pack.
> Other newsgroups are also reporting problems with it.
> So far I have resisted the temptation to install it and until the
> number of
> problems diminish, I will continue to do so. The old adage "If it
> ain't
> broke don't fix it" is worth bearing in mind sometimes.
>
> I just wonder how much beta testing is performed on these updates
> before
> they are released.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Geoff.