Crysis in Vista 64

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Crysis
  • Windows Vista
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
November 14, 2007 8:19:28 PM

I don't know if any of you guys have had this problem, but my install of Crysis did not install any shortcuts or place anything in the Start menu. The only way I can run it is to go directly to the file location in the bin32 directory. I'm running Vista 64 on a 8800gt, and yet I can't seem to get any of the programs under the bin64 directory to work. There are two icons, a Crysis.exe, and a Crysis64.exe, neither of which will run without some type of crash. Am I missing something here? The Crysis.exe under the bin32 directory runs fine.

More about : crysis vista

November 14, 2007 8:24:24 PM

i thought they sold a 32 and a 64 bit version of crysis sparately?
November 15, 2007 12:01:45 AM

Actually no, they are both on the same disk, and there are two executables--one for each.
Related resources
November 15, 2007 8:30:39 AM

I get the same problem and I am using Vista X64 Ultimate, it done it with the beta test, it also done it with the demo and now it’s done the same with the retail version of the game. You will need to go to the NVIDIA game control screen and set the crisis.exe to force off triple buffering and force off vsynk also. The 64Bit version should work after that. Also make sure you have the latest NVIDIA beta drivers installed, as that could possibly be the problem.
November 15, 2007 11:47:27 AM

Hey thanks cafuddled. First real help on this I've found anywhere. I'll give it a try.
November 15, 2007 11:55:50 AM

Well, tried all of that, and I do have the latest drivers, but no luck. It goes to black screen then crashes as always. Any more thoughts?
November 15, 2007 12:06:23 PM

I know the crysis64 icon never worked for me but the crysis.exe did work. Oh by the way if you are using a no cd fix, then you will need to make sure you have the 64Bit compatible one. But then you should have no reason to be using that, right?
November 15, 2007 12:37:04 PM

you can find out which version you got running by using console ~ and typing r_displayinfo = 1 (I think it's 1 or 2).
November 15, 2007 4:46:42 PM

I actually had a problem like this with the new HL2 EP2 / TF2 engine. I had latest Nvidia Drivers and blah blah blah.

I had to force the game to launch under a "known-to-work" screen res of 1024 x 768 using switches on the games .exe. Once the game was launched I changed the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9 and was able to get my 27" lcd's native resolution.

Wierd that the game couldn't just detect that right from the start...

Maybe you need to do the same in this case??
November 15, 2007 6:20:23 PM

Hey guys; thanks again for your help. No, I'm not using a no cd fix. I've tried the console command, but didn't get anything about the version. I'm hoping others more knowledgable than myself can come up with some kind of solution. I can run the 32 bit version fine with everything on very high and at high resolutions, but I intentionally went with 64 bit because it was supposed to be advantageous. So much for that.
November 15, 2007 6:30:09 PM

I thought the same thing but it turns out the vista adds the game to the "Games" group, not the "All programs" games group but the Start Games menu item on the right side of the menu that pops up.

If I run the Crysis.exe in the bin64 folder it crashes just like yours, but if I run Crysis64.exe it works fine. I am not certain if the games group runs the 64 bit version or not, I haven't had time to test it yet but I'm pretty sure it would.
November 15, 2007 6:41:54 PM

Thanks again. I thought of that and checked my "games" group -- nothing. I checked on the EA forums and all sorts of people are having the same problem, so hopefully there will be a fix soon. I only found a couple of people who got it to work, and they all had a direct download, not the installed from a cd version.

Oh, and I've tried both the exe files under the bin64 menu.
November 15, 2007 8:25:24 PM

I uninstalled the Nvidia network access manager, now the 64 bit DX10 runs fine
November 16, 2007 8:16:07 PM

Thanks, I'll try that as well.
November 16, 2007 10:34:54 PM

I have the same exact problem as you do...no shortcuts anywhere and 64bit.exe gives me a black screen at start, forced to run in 32bit mode.
November 17, 2007 8:11:15 PM

Find the Crysis folder and in it go into the 64 bit folder. Make sure the Crysis DVD is already in your DVD drive. Find the launch64 tool for SecuROM which is 4394KB and says the name CRYSIS (not the one that says Crysis64!) and click it.
November 18, 2007 12:54:58 AM

eh, don't worry about running the 64 bit version as opposed to the 32 bit version. I was at first, but now that i've seen the benchmarks, it appears that there is ZERO difference between the two versions. And in some of the benchmarks, 64 bit actually performs worse. This is what I am most disappointed about so far, as I went through the trouble of installing drivers/software for a 64 bit os thinking that games like crysis would see significant improvement on 64 bit platforms.
November 19, 2007 2:00:15 PM

Well, I got it working. I was reading on the forums at EA and someone suggested trying to run the built-in benchmarks under the bin64 directory. They ran fine, and then the 64 bit version has run fine since then. Go figure. It even runs without the annoying glitches I was having in the 32 bit version. I have no idea why, but I'll not question it. Word is there will be a patch soon to fix some of these things. Thanks for the help guys. Incidentally, no real difference in the framerate, but it does run without any hiccups whatsoever.
!