Do I need SP2?

I expect I will get varied and conflicting answers for this question but here
goes:

I have windows xp sp1 + all updates/hotfixes
I have AVG free edition antivirus + free zone alarm ( version 4.5.594.000)
for security
I use spysweeper ( paid for this !) + spywareblaster ( free) for spyware
I have Hitware popup killer lite ( free) to stop popups ( it's good)
I have configured Internet explorer+ outlook express as tight as possible
for security as far as I know with my limited knowledge

I have had no problems with the above programs working together and as far
as I can tell my computer is as clean as a whistle
I use cable connection and it is on at least 5 hours a day
It runs like clockwork
I probably won't use the SP2 firewall or IE popup stopper as I am satisfied
with what I've got.

Given the above would you install SP2?
Is it really necessary?
What will I gain in doing so, apart from a lot of hassle, as far as I can
see from many comments in this forum
Any want to go first?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    SP2 is a solid, secure release. It is a major "Critical Update"
    for Windows XP and updates about 5 million lines of code,
    enabling much stronger security, stability, and affords a tad better
    performance benefit.

    You may wish to view the following:

    Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

    Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

    What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Package (Direct Download):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    I would suggest performing the following maintenance prior to
    installing SP2:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    After installing SP2, run the above maintenance utilities again, then perform a Defrag:

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "TheBFG" wrote:

    | I expect I will get varied and conflicting answers for this question but here
    | goes:
    |
    | I have windows xp sp1 + all updates/hotfixes
    | I have AVG free edition antivirus + free zone alarm ( version 4.5.594.000)
    | for security
    | I use spysweeper ( paid for this !) + spywareblaster ( free) for spyware
    | I have Hitware popup killer lite ( free) to stop popups ( it's good)
    | I have configured Internet explorer+ outlook express as tight as possible
    | for security as far as I know with my limited knowledge
    |
    | I have had no problems with the above programs working together and as far
    | as I can tell my computer is as clean as a whistle
    | I use cable connection and it is on at least 5 hours a day
    | It runs like clockwork
    | I probably won't use the SP2 firewall or IE popup stopper as I am satisfied
    | with what I've got.
    |
    | Given the above would you install SP2?
    | Is it really necessary?
    | What will I gain in doing so, apart from a lot of hassle, as far as I can
    | see from many comments in this forum
    | Any want to go first?
    |
    | Thanks

    Think logically----Suppose a problem shows up a couple of years from now on a
    new program, Microsofts or some other companys. You have it on your machine
    and have the problem. A fix is generated (released) but just screws up your
    machine terribly. The screwup occurs because you do not have SP2, but you
    don't know the reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is the most stupidest
    comment ever concocted. Can't you make it better? Can't you keep the machine
    current so future changes will cause no problem? Update, update, update. .
    "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I expect I will get varied and conflicting answers for this question but here
    > goes:
    >
    > I have windows xp sp1 + all updates/hotfixes
    > I have AVG free edition antivirus + free zone alarm ( version 4.5.594.000)
    > for security
    > I use spysweeper ( paid for this !) + spywareblaster ( free) for spyware
    > I have Hitware popup killer lite ( free) to stop popups ( it's good)
    > I have configured Internet explorer+ outlook express as tight as possible
    > for security as far as I know with my limited knowledge
    >
    > I have had no problems with the above programs working together and as far
    > as I can tell my computer is as clean as a whistle
    > I use cable connection and it is on at least 5 hours a day
    > It runs like clockwork
    > I probably won't use the SP2 firewall or IE popup stopper as I am satisfied
    > with what I've got.
    >
    > Given the above would you install SP2?
    > Is it really necessary?
    > What will I gain in doing so, apart from a lot of hassle, as far as I can
    > see from many comments in this forum
    > Any want to go first?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks unknown.
    You convinced me
    I ordered the CD today from microsoft.
    SP2 here I come!!

    Unknown wrote:

    > Think logically----Suppose a problem shows up a couple of years from now
    > on a new program, Microsofts or some other companys. You have it on your
    > machine and have the problem. A fix is generated (released) but just
    > screws up your machine terribly. The screwup occurs because you do not
    > have SP2, but you don't know the reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    > is the most stupidest comment ever concocted. Can't you make it better?
    > Can't you keep the machine current so future changes will cause no
    > problem? Update, update, update.

    Taking risk is in the eye of the beholder. If something isn't
    broken but is updated and continues to works, perhaps even
    better, then it is called a stroke of genius. OTOH, if the
    update breaks an otherwise perfectly working object, then
    guess what names can be used to describe the perpetrator;
    "stupid" is very mild. Even we gurus hedge our bets...we know
    when to update and when to hold.

Windows XP