BF1942 problems

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I am trying to put BF1942 on my friends computer and it won't run. everytime i start the program, I see the splash screen and the screen goes dark as if it is starting and then it quits and I hear the default sound for windows causing an error. I have already updated the game to most current version so i don't think that is the problem. I am leaning toward it not liking the non legal version of windows. Any thoughts???

SPecs
2.6 celeron
fx5200
640 mb DDR266
xp pro cracked version
DX 8.1

anthemmobil1

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I play 1942 quite a bit on several of my machines. I loaded it on my laptop and it worked fine BUT all of a sudden it stopped working on my laptop. I would doubleclick the icon it would start to load then blow me back to the desktop. I assumed I must have changed something in the configuration of my laptop for this to happen but it is still a mystery. I have re-installed the game twice, tried patching it, tried changing my video drivers, tried editing one of the .con files in BF1942, tried adding another gig of ram to the laptop. To this day it still won't run on it but it use to!
By the way my version of Windows XP is legit so I don't it has anything to do with that issue.

n3zyd

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006

Do you have BF2 or BF2 demo or BF2142/Demo installed on the laptop?
On my comp I had BF1942 then put BF2 on, Deleted BF1942 and BF2 stopped working.
After many forum searches found out the two games somehow share some files that when you delete one it borks the other.

I'd say the FX5200 is the issue. Its a little week for that came. I loaded it on my laptop 1.4GHz M/ 512MB RAM/ 9600 Mobility. It will run with everything on LOW but is choppy and really isn't playable anyways. Plus your are using a Celeron. My opinion is it is a weak system for this game. You might want to try 800x600.

ALSO if it is dying on the intro video, try renaming the file with that video in. I did this so it just jumps right to the BF2142 login screen and I don't have to watch that crap.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
It can't be the "weak" card because I am trying to run battlefield 1942. The game came out before the fx5200 card even existed.

I will try the 800x600 res. I did install the patch. It didn't work before or after the patch was installed. I installed it from a copy of the original cds so the original try was with version 1.0

As for the copy of xp. we are working on geting a legit copy. the version I have is pretty buggy anyways. It is only a temp solution.

Anthemmobil1 - I am having the exact same problem as you seem to be except that it never worked for me :(

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Well, I figured out the problem. I needed to update Direct x. Now I just have to get him a new graphics card. That fx5200 won't even run the game on 640x480 at low resolution. Luckily I have a spare radeon 7500 lying around. That will work much better. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.