installing XP Home

I have just received the up grade to XP home edition and
when I try to upgrade my present 98SE I get the following:
D:\1386\winnt 32a.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt.
Do I need to do a new installation?
1 answer Last reply
More about installing home

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Before upgrading any existing Windows installation, it would be prudent to
    run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows XP. This tool will report what hardware
    or software may be incompatible with Windows XP. If you follow the Upgrade
    Advisor's recommendations, you should not have any problem upgrading to
    Windows XP.

    If you fail to utilize the Upgrade Advisor, you may run into incompatibility issues.
    Just inserting the Windows XP Upgrade CD in the CD Drive and selecting
    "upgrade" is not going to give you the desired result. You must "prepare and
    plan" your computer before beginning the upgrade process.

    Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

    HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
    Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

    It is imperative that you have the latest BIOS update installed. Visit the support
    website of the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard for instructions
    on updating your computer's BIOS.

    Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    Also, physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware devices,
    especially USB devices (not including your mouse, keyboard or
    monitor). Uninstall any antivirus program, too!

    HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

    Clean Install Windows XP (optional)

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from Windows 98
    or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292533&Product=winxp

    How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "XTITCHER" wrote:

    | I have just received the up grade to XP home edition and
    | when I try to upgrade my present 98SE I get the following:
    | D:\1386\winnt 32a.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt.
    | Do I need to do a new installation?

Windows XP Microsoft DLL