CPU Temp monitoring

Aarinu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
New poster here. I'm trying to figure out how to watch my CPU Processor's temp. From what I'm finding, my current motherboard does not support this (Asus A7M266). Is there a way to watch the temp of my 1.4 Tbird without purchasing a new motherboard? If not, and I need to purchase a new motherboard, any suggestions? I'd like something with a 333 FSB, but not going to break my bank (no more than 200). Thanks!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you could get a <A HREF="http://www.computernerd.com/compunurse.html" target="_new">Compunurse</A>

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey A,

That has to be the worst reason that I have ever heard of to upgrade your mobo! Why do you think it is so important to watch the temp.s of your cpu & mobo, that you would throw away your otherwise perfectly good mobo? Does your system lock up? What HSF & PSU are you running? Were you planning on getting a cooler running cpu to go with this newer mobo with temp monitoring system? Whatever?

Peace Out...............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Aarinu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
The reason for this is I want to Overclock the machine. Currently, without being able to see the temp I'm running at, I run the risk of frying the processor. I want to be able to watch the temp so that I can overclock as far as possible without frying the chip. "This aint no Intel inside ya know."

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey A,

Again what kind of HSF & PSU are you running in your system?

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about frying the cpu, unless your HSF falls off. What happens(if you are running a decent HSF), when you go for too a agressive OC, your system will lock up, when that happens shut it down with the power switch. Just up your FSB by 1 mhz at a time & play your most demanding 3D game, for 1/2 hour. If it doesn't lock up after 1/2 hour up the FSB again. If you go slow you won't fry the T-Bird(unless you have a lame pure aluminium HSF with a slow wobbly fan & dried out silicon thermal paste). Hey, but don't take my word for it, go to the over-clocking community or ask these guys:

http://www.amdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=9f756fae297b0dfa78abdf1378dc2efd&forumid=8

Peace Out..............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
You are going to have trouble oc'ing a 1.4 t-bird very much

Do not get a new mobo just for temp monitoring. Regardless of the temp your cpu will not suddenly fry given a slight overclock. You will see freezes and bsod's long before you fry the thing, as long as you take it gradually. But all told you are best off moving to a P4 or an XP rather than trying to push a 1.4 t-bird.

John A