Data connection in Canada

On a recent train trip across most of Canada (Vancouver to Montreal), I
tried both the voice side and the data side of my phone (VX4400B with
North America's Choice plan).

The voice side worked in all the major cities and a number of smaller
ones. There were large stretches of relatively unpopulated area with no
service.

I didn't expect dialing #777 for data service to work, but I thought
that dialing my ISP directly might. However, that worked only in
Winnipeg, and nowhere else.

What's different about Winnipeg? What Canadian carriers does VZW
contract with in different parts of the country?

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
7 answers Last reply
More about data connection canada

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:23:46 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

    >On a recent train trip across most of Canada (Vancouver to Montreal), I
    >tried both the voice side and the data side of my phone (VX4400B with
    >North America's Choice plan).
    >
    >The voice side worked in all the major cities and a number of smaller
    >ones. There were large stretches of relatively unpopulated area with no
    >service.
    >
    >I didn't expect dialing #777 for data service to work, but I thought
    >that dialing my ISP directly might. However, that worked only in
    >Winnipeg, and nowhere else.
    >
    >What's different about Winnipeg? What Canadian carriers does VZW
    >contract with in different parts of the country?
    >

    >==
    >Jack Hamilton
    >jfh@acm.org
    >
    >==
    >In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
    >And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
    > Edward Gibbons

    In Western Canada, the carrier is Telus. And yes, dialing #777 does
    work just fine. And the best deal is the 10 dollar add-on to AC or
    Singlerate.

    Bob

    www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

    Current email at:
    bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com

    Bob Giddings <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:23:46 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
    >
    >>On a recent train trip across most of Canada (Vancouver to Montreal), I
    >>tried both the voice side and the data side of my phone (VX4400B with
    >>North America's Choice plan).
    >>
    >>The voice side worked in all the major cities and a number of smaller
    >>ones. There were large stretches of relatively unpopulated area with no
    >>service.
    >>
    >>I didn't expect dialing #777 for data service to work, but I thought
    >>that dialing my ISP directly might. However, that worked only in
    >>Winnipeg, and nowhere else.
    >>
    >>What's different about Winnipeg? What Canadian carriers does VZW
    >>contract with in different parts of the country?
    >>

    >>==
    >>Jack Hamilton
    >>jfh@acm.org
    >>
    >>==
    >>In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
    >>And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
    >> Edward Gibbons
    >
    >In Western Canada, the carrier is Telus. And yes, dialing #777 does
    >work just fine.

    Not for me - I got an authentication error.

    >And the best deal is the 10 dollar add-on to AC or
    >Singlerate.

    What would I ask for to get that when I next visit Canada? I don't see
    anything on the VZW web page that shows "add Canada" other than North
    America's Choice. Is it available only to subscribers from certain
    areas?

    >Bob
    >
    >www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings
    >
    >Current email at:
    >bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com

    ==
    Jack Hamilton
    jfh@acm.org

    ==
    In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
    And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
    Edward Gibbons

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:04:35 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

    sniip
    >>In Western Canada, the carrier is Telus. And yes, dialing #777 does
    >>work just fine.
    >
    >Not for me - I got an authentication error.
    >
    >>And the best deal is the 10 dollar add-on to AC or
    >>Singlerate.
    >
    >What would I ask for to get that when I next visit Canada? I don't see
    >anything on the VZW web page that shows "add Canada" other than North
    >America's Choice. Is it available only to subscribers from certain
    >areas?

    All I can tell you is that I asked for any option that extended
    service to Canada at a Radio Shack in Lander,Wyoming, while on
    vacation last August, and they got on the phone with Verizon and said
    that for 10 bucks extra they could add Canada to my plans. I used the
    phone for data just like in the states, and it worked in every little
    town in BC I drove through. Dialed #777. At that time I was on the
    QNC network rather than Express. I was told the carrier agreement was
    with Telus. I was up there and on Vancouver Island for about a month,
    and it worked fine the whole time. I can only vouch for all of BC
    and Lake Louise. Because there was no roaming in Canada, the AC plan
    actually improved when I crossed the border going north. When I got
    back to the US in September, I cancelled the Canada Calling add-on.

    It is not on the web site, but then lots of things are not on the
    website. They only advertise what they are pushing recently, but if
    you ask, they will tell you about it. I enquired again last week here
    in Texas when changing my plan, and it is still offered. It's a great
    deal for 10 bucks a month, and you can add and drop it without
    affecting the plan you're on. It's a feature, not a plan.

    Funny story about Verizon information. The only place I couldn't get
    data was in Jasper, Alberta. I could get out on voice, so I called
    Verizon data service and the "tech" told me that I couldn't get data
    service in Canada. I asked for his supervisor and got the same story.
    I then informed them that by that time I'd been getting it for 3
    weeks. "That's impossible." Sigh. Right, I called you up just to
    lie to you. I hung up.

    I told this story to a verizon store manager later, and he said when
    that happened to him, he just called back until he got someone else.

    I suggest you find a store where they seem to know something, then get
    a card and call back there for help, instead of calling the 800
    numbers. It's all hit or miss. They just yank these people off the
    street, and most of them only know what was in the last training comic
    book they were handed.

    I think your problem may have been that you didn't have National
    Access enabled. I find that they drop that every time they change
    your plan, and you have to ask for it back. It is free. Also this
    "North America Choice" plan may not include minutes of use data. They
    are really pushing separate data plans now, but you don't need them if
    you have minutes of use. I had it on both America's Choice and
    National Singlerate.

    If you can't find someone to help you where you are, try putting a
    different zip code in the website, get the number of a store, and call
    there to try again.

    I know. Ain't this a hell of a way to run a business?

    Bob

    www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

    Current email at:
    bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com

    Bob Giddings <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >All I can tell you is that I asked for any option that extended
    >service to Canada at a Radio Shack in Lander,Wyoming, while on
    >vacation last August, and they got on the phone with Verizon and said
    >that for 10 bucks extra they could add Canada to my plans. I used the
    >phone for data just like in the states, and it worked in every little
    >town in BC I drove through. Dialed #777. At that time I was on the
    >QNC network rather than Express. I was told the carrier agreement was
    >with Telus. I was up there and on Vancouver Island for about a month,
    >and it worked fine the whole time. I can only vouch for all of BC
    >and Lake Louise. Because there was no roaming in Canada, the AC plan
    >actually improved when I crossed the border going north. When I got
    >back to the US in September, I cancelled the Canada Calling add-on.
    >
    >It is not on the web site, but then lots of things are not on the
    >website. They only advertise what they are pushing recently, but if
    >you ask, they will tell you about it. I enquired again last week here
    >in Texas when changing my plan, and it is still offered. It's a great
    >deal for 10 bucks a month, and you can add and drop it without
    >affecting the plan you're on. It's a feature, not a plan.

    How did it appear on your bill? Is there are code plan that I could
    know to ask for?

    >I think your problem may have been that you didn't have National
    >Access enabled.

    I'd go for that explanation if it didn't work anywhere - but it worked
    in Winnipeg, and back in the states. Maybe there's some other setting I
    need on my account.

    > find that they drop that every time they change
    >your plan, and you have to ask for it back. It is free. Also this
    >"North America Choice" plan may not include minutes of use data. They
    >are really pushing separate data plans now, but you don't need them if
    >you have minutes of use. I had it on both America's Choice and
    >National Singlerate.

    ==
    Jack Hamilton
    jfh@acm.org

    ==

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:52:00 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:

    >>I think your problem may have been that you didn't have National
    >>Access enabled.
    >
    >I'd go for that explanation if it didn't work anywhere - but it worked
    >in Winnipeg, and back in the states. Maybe there's some other setting I
    >need on my account.

    I should have said "enabled for data access".

    I don't have any of those old bills now, so I can't help you with
    codes. I got it by just describing it, as it was described to me.
    Good luck. I may wish I'd not dropped it.

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:26:48 UTC, Bob Giddings <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:52:00 -0700, Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote:
    >

    > >>I think your problem may have been that you didn't have National
    > >>Access enabled.
    > >
    > >I'd go for that explanation if it didn't work anywhere - but it worked
    > >in Winnipeg, and back in the states. Maybe there's some other setting I
    > >need on my account.
    > >

    > I should have said "enabled for data access".
    >
    > I don't have any of those old bills now, so I can't help you with
    > codes. I got it by just describing it, as it was described to me.
    > Good luck. I may wish I'd not dropped it.

    Perhaps yet another one of those "now you see it, now you don't"
    options.

    I asked a VZ rep about this about a month ago. He swore you could no
    longer get the $10 Canada add on. His solution was to drop your
    current plan. Sign on for North America's Choice while in Canada.
    Then Drop NA Choice and re-instate your current plan when you return.

    Only problem was, I have Single Rate National access with the old
    promotion which includes 2000 free weekend minutes. Those weekend
    minutes would not be available going back to the SRN plan.

    I expect it would pay to quiz about a dozen VerizonWireless customer
    service people about this.

    --
    Barbara

    On 23 May 2004 22:57:38 GMT, Barbara wrote:

    > Perhaps yet another one of those "now you see it, now you don't"
    > options.

    No it's there.

    > I asked a VZ rep about this about a month ago. He swore you could no
    > longer get the $10 Canada add on. His solution was to drop your
    > current plan. Sign on for North America's Choice while in Canada.
    > Then Drop NA Choice and re-instate your current plan when you return.

    Could this be because VZ would like to push AC to avoid roaming charges from
    their parthers?

    > Only problem was, I have Single Rate National access with the old
    > promotion which includes 2000 free weekend minutes. Those weekend
    > minutes would not be available going back to the SRN plan.

    Correct.

    > I expect it would pay to quiz about a dozen VerizonWireless customer
    > service people about this.

    Yep.

Verizon Internet Service Providers Connection