Draenok

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
My wife has a Celeron 500 running in a Asus P2B-F. My kids machine recently died and she has confiscated the RAM and the processor. The RAM is fine but I am having a problem with the processor so now I am turning to you guys for help. The ASUS P2B-F will natively run a PIII up to 550MHz. I read on the Asus site that if the BIOS version is over 1008 then it will take a PIII up to 800. We have a PIII 733 but the Asus website does not say what jumper settings need to be changed to run this fast of a processor. It is a very blank landscape of information, it will do it, we just arent telling you how. So my question is... how? We have BIOS version 1009.b so it should work (at least I think it should). I understand that the P2B is jumpered and would really appreciate it if someone could point me at the jumper setting necessary or tell me if I am totally screwed in the head and I may as well be trying to plug that processor into my car. Anyway, any info that can be provided would be wonderful.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Download the manual from ASUS website it'll explain how to set jumpers.
it's a Slot-1 board so swapping processors should be a charm unless you 733mhz is NOT a slot one...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P2B-F supports Pentium III's up to 1GHz. You can get a 1GHz Slot 1 CPU that runs at 100MHz bus speed from www.computergeeks.com for under $100. The PIII 733 will also work, but needs 133MHz bus speed to run at 733. You don't need to change multipliers or the like because all Pentium III's have an internal multiplier lock that overrides the motherboard multiplier setting. In order to get your PIII to run at 133 bus you need PC133 SDRAM, and you can find the jumper settings at asus or browse some of the documents at my site, <A HREF="http://www.crashmania.tk" target="_new">http://www.crashmania.tk</A>

The reason Asus doesn't tell you that the board will run 1GHz processors is because they never updated the compatability list. There are two bus speed versions of the 1GHz, the 1000E and 1000EB. There are also two package types, Socket370 and Slot 1. A Pentium III compatable slot to socket coverter card will make the socket CPU fit your slot 1 board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, the BX board was only meant for 100 MHz. FSB processors, but lots of people made them work at 133 MHz. The problem is this overclocked the AGP bus since there wasn't a 1/2 divider on these boards to get the AGP bus down to 66 MHz.

Here are the jumper settings for a 733 processor (5.5 multiplier and 133 FSB speed) But again, this will overclock your AGP video card and may not run stable depending on your video card.

These bus frequency multiple jumpers are located in the lower right hand corder of the board as you look into the case and these settings will set the multiplier for 5.5X
BF0 1-2
BF1 1-2
BF2 1-2
BF3 2-3

These Front Side bus frequency jumpers are located on the right edge of the board, just above the IDE plugs as you look into the case. These settings will set your FSB to 133 MHz. and your PCI bus to 33 MHz.
FS0 1-2
FS1 1-2
FS2 1-2
FS3 1-2

Set your AGPFS jumper to 1-2 which will give you a 2/3 divider on the AGP bus... bear in mind is will overclock your AGP card substantially, so again it may not run stable.

Good Luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!