XP install problem, on reinstall due disk failure

I purchased an academic copy of Windows XP Home with a new
computer, however, I put the computer together myself, and
installed Windows. I have the Activation Code, and the
30-digit number for registering by phone, and the code that
is returned. My hard drive failed, and I am forced to
reinstall XP. When I try to e-mail for help, it tells me
to contact the oem maker. When I register by phone (it
gives me a different key), the automated voice tells me
that it was originally registered with a wrong key, and I
should generate a new key. I follow those steps, update to
the same key, and the system refuses that as well.
I own this copy of Windows, and I'm trying to install on
the same computer as I originally installed on. I believe
I'm within the EULA.
I'd like this to be solved by getting an activation code
for the key that install is giving me, or by telling me how
to set my install key to what it was originally.

"D. Lahouss" <dlahouss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I purchased an academic copy of Windows XP Home with a new
> computer, however, I put the computer together myself, and
> installed Windows. I have the Activation Code, and the
> 30-digit number for registering by phone, and the code that
> is returned. My hard drive failed, and I am forced to
> reinstall XP. When I try to e-mail for help, it tells me
> to contact the oem maker. When I register by phone (it
> gives me a different key), the automated voice tells me
> that it was originally registered with a wrong key, and I
> should generate a new key. I follow those steps, update to
> the same key, and the system refuses that as well.
> I own this copy of Windows, and I'm trying to install on
> the same computer as I originally installed on. I believe
> I'm within the EULA.
> I'd like this to be solved by getting an activation code
> for the key that install is giving me, or by telling me how
> to set my install key to what it was originally.

Choose the "activate by phone" option and talk to a live person.

There isn't a "Talk to live person option. There is
toll-free, which gives me no help, and toll. I assume you
mean the toll number. I've tried using a calling card for
it, but if I have to pay to use the windows I've already
paid for, I think I'll just upgrade to XP pirated.
Or another operating system where I can get help.

after talking with the helpful tech support people, I was
able to get this problem solved. It was helpful for me to
talk with a real person, by "zeroing out" at the machine
prompt. Thank you.