DVD upscaling on PS3 or x360?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yes, you need the Xbox 360 HD DvD player to upscale DvD's and a few other things. Either HDMI or the VGA cable. There is some legal issue with microsoft, which does not allow the component cables to upscale movies. Hope this helps! Oh, and yes I own one if you were wandering...I own both actually I run the HD DVD and I use the VGA cable for the hookup.

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Oh and of the 2 the easiest one at this point would be to just get the PS3 if upscaling is a deciding factor for you. Since you will already have the HDMI, which I suppose this doesnt matter as much since the Xbox's do as well. Also, you dont have to spend the xtra cash on the HD DvD drive. As far as the quality between Blueray and HD DvD they are the same thing imo...and yes, I have both. lol

Best,

3Ball

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

Ha! I dont really understand the whole BD vs HDDVD argument that many people fuss over. I agree, there really is no practical difference between the 2 format in terms of quality. Seriously though, you can only see and hear the difference if you own a ridiculously high-end $20k+ AV rig which 99.99999% of most of us do not have (Sorry, Sony XBRs, Panasonic aint gonna cut it). In the end, I think it will all come down to money and profitability. I predict licensing and production cost will be the deciding factor. And if thats the case, that will be trouble for Sony.

Ok, no more talk of BDvHDDVD talk :kaola:

REAVER117

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007

You do NOT need the HD-DVD addon to upscale DVDs, you do however need the VGA or HDMI cable. If price is the deciding factor I would suggest the 360, it includes the HDMI cable so you won't have to dish out another $20-$30.

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

HDMI from newegg ftw. Why pay more than $5? Its all good :sol:

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I was scrolling through looking for an old thread. This was not it, but I never saw this reply to what I said. You are wrong, because you do in fact NEED the HD-DVD drive on the 360 in order to upscale the DVD images as well as an HDMI or VGA cable. Unless the newer systems have changed this (Elite, Halo Edition, or new HDMI Pro Edition). I have the older pro edition and I can promise you that it does NOT upscale the images. But the HD DVD drive with my VGA cables does in fact do this.

Best,

3Ball

sanjob

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I've got both (360 & PS3) I use the PS3 for upscaling etc as it’s much quieter (find the 360 a wee to loud when I’m watching a movie)

c2k8

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007

You do not need the HD dvd drive,

Component = 480p on dvds regardless of settings/ Upto 1080p for games, upto 1080i for HD dvd
VGA/HDMI = DVD upto 1080P, Games upto 1080P, Upto HD dvd 1080p

Ive been getting 720P from the vga cable for dvds since the 1080P Dash update (my tv is only 720P)

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

You know, it's people like you that keep Monster cables in business.

There recently was a test run where they hooked up speakers using monster cables on one rig and coathangers on the other.

You know which one won this test? The coathangers!

If it passes electricity and doesn't have any breaks in the connections then it is so close to as good that no human alive can tell the difference. Any delusions to the contrary are just that.... delusions.

As for the upscaling thing... yeah, the 360 upscales just fine without the HD-DVD drive. Upscaling is totally overrated though. Same picture, same level of detail, occasionally fewer jaggies. meh.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
the higher quality cables transfer the signal better. Granted, there is not much difference between a 50 dollar and an 80 dollar, but once u get down to 5-20 theres going to be a lot less quality. I would also like to see a link to wherever this exeriment was done. The main reason why monster cables are in bussiness is because if any future cable surpasses the current one, you get a free upgrade.
and definitly NOT the same picture

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables

Hell there are a ton and a half hits in google for this.

And just how do they "transfer the signal better"? You have bought into this rhetoric so fully that it is absurd.

Furthermore HDMI cables transfer data digitally. There is absolutely no difference in quality as a result. None. Not even a little. Any signal degradation incurred by the cable would be insufficient to change a 1 to a 0 or vise versa and as a result the signal sent from the receiver is completely identical to the one received at the TV.

Not that I am trying to stop you from blowing large amounts of money on cables that really are not worth more than their $5 equivalents.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
The main reason why I like monster cables are because the highest one has a lifetime warrenty and will get replaced for free If a cable ever surpasses it. Gold is a better conducter than most anything else. If you have pure gold in a cable, then It conducts the electricity better. I'm not implying that monster cables have pure gold, but you get the point. A cheaper cable has cheaper quality metal inside it.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I'm not going to take sides in this debate simply because I cannot personally verify it either way.

However in terms of information content that is put over the wire, you probably cannot draw conclusions about image quality over shielded cables versus audio signals. You're simply using different human sensory systems to observe the final outcome, and the user experience will be combination of all of the stuf in between the signal being transmitted from the source to signal arriving in the area of the brain that does the decoding and interpretation.

So having a panel of (expert) users is ok, but then please do this test for each sensory system separately.

Having said all that, it is obvious that any professional will do anything to get more bucks for the bang from any consumer, as long as the consumer feels happy about it. (if consumers find out they've been tricked, the pro's are out of business).

It is not unlike a placebo effect: "I pay a lot of money, so it must be good" and the brain really starts seeing or hearing "significant" improvements.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Look it really is quite simple when it comes to HDMI. A digital signal doesn't suffer from degradation unless it is REALLY REALLY BAD!

Audio cables are still analog for the most part so the quality of the cable might conceivably have some effect, though good luck actually telling the difference in a double blind test.

HDMI and DVI cables though transfer digital signals. It doesn't matter if you get platinum bonded gold connectors manufactured on Pluto and covered in lead shielding. It simply is not going to change the fact that 11011011 sent from the source is 11011011 at the receiver every time regardless on the transfer medium as long as it meets minimum specs.

It boggles my mind that people who otherwise understand the technology very well can consistently delude themselves into thinking otherwise.

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Hi, I'd just like to preface this by saying that I'm an electrical engineer, and though I graduated from SDSU I do in fact know what I'm talking about.

Expensive HDMI cables are of no more value than cheap ones, the entire idea behind HDMI and DVI for that matter is to eliminate the need for gold plating and dielectrically or any other type of insulated cables. If you are running component or S-video or even composite, the quality of your cable may, and I mean MAY, be noticeable. The material the cables are made of (Aluminum, Copper, Gold) is hardly noticeable in anything but very long runs and/or the absolute most sensitive equipment, and gold plated connectors are only good if you have loose connections and you need something that will mold a bit more than copper or aluminum, or if you are working with something that will be outdoors or exposed to salt-spray sea air.

If you wanna spend some money and make your systems look better, and give monster cable some money, go and get yourself a power conditioner, they are the the things that look like really overpriced outlet splitter. They will make a difference, especially in audio equipment. The power you get from your power company is usually pretty noisy and will be significantly off of the 110V 60Hz the equipment is expecting, most TV's and Audio amps now have decent power regulation, but if they don't the after-market line regulators will help improve the life of your equipment as well as possibly improve the quality of the image and sound.

gjdixon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
VGA ON A hdtv got a resloution of 1360x768 wich is 720P to get 1080p resloution you need a hdtv resloution of 1920x1080

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

That depends entirely on the HDTV, the computer, and the driver.
VGA is capable of well over 1080p, just not HDCP.