Sign in with
Your question

xbox 360 vs playstation 3

Last response: in Video Games
November 18, 2007 12:03:22 AM

name says it, i am planning to buy one up coming friday, and yet i cant choose!. i also cant look at 100 reviews about both to gain view info, so i wanted everyone with usefull info to inform me soo i can make my choice:) (price is not an issue)(there are prob alot of topic regarding this but this is of 2day's games, bundles etc....)
thanks

More about : xbox 360 playstation

November 18, 2007 2:05:57 AM

The 360 has games.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 18, 2007 6:56:44 AM

I would say get the 360, but this really comes down to what games you want to play. I have a 360 now, but will be getting a ps3 sometime in march, which I believe is a better time to be buying the system...just as I waited over a year to get my 360. My roommate has a ps3 though, so maybe that is helping me make the decision to wait, but my roommate doesnt have anything that isnt on the 360 other than resistance, but I have all those games on my 360 and then gears, halo, forza, and there are many others. So just remember that it really matters with which games you want to play. As far as gaming power goes for the 2...well they are pretty much the same and I wouldnt worry about that. Also remember that the PS3 has built in Blueray, while there is an HD DvD Addon for the 360, which I own and love, but the quality difference between the 2 formats is just like the systems...none at all! Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball
November 18, 2007 4:46:19 PM

thanks helped alot:) , ye the thing is i dont want to buy a whole console for just a game, or 2. i really like mass effect and forza, that is what making it so hard. can u tell me which ps3 games coming? except metal gear because i dnt like it!
November 18, 2007 5:48:36 PM

Well the games I am wanting for ps3 are:

Gran Turismo 5
Killzone 2
Resistance 2
Time Crysis 4 with gun
Warhawk
and of course (metal gear solid 4 lol)

Those are the games that I am going to get for my ps3 when I do eventually get one. As far as I know anyways...there may be some more later down the road that are exclusive for it, but anything that is not exclusive to the ps3 I will buy on either my 360 or the ps3 unless I have a friend who has a ps3 only and wants to play something in multiplayer...inwhich I would buy for multiple systems. I just dislike the ps3 controller compared to the 360's alot and both of them I dislike compared to keyboard and mouse...for FPS anyways. Plus I find Live to function much better than the playstation online, which disconnects me and my roommate alot when we play on his. But it is still a great system. Blueray built in is nice 2.

As far as overall exclusives go though I would say the 360 wins the battle imo, because the controller is better and it has more of the games that I like to play. Its really what fits you the best. My roommate claims the ps3 controller is better, but he is a HUGE fanboy. There is one simple thing that makes the ps3 controller worse for most games that need accuracy. The LACK of resistance on the thumbsticks and the fact that the thumbsticks are to close so when you play over the top on both of them and move to the inside your thumbs hit...these are just a few things that bother me about it.

But that is the list...and let me tell ya, Forza is AMAZING. I play it all the time. GT5 has better graphics overal, but the cars graphics are similar...(I have played the aZn demo on the ps3), but the physics and overall gameplay are better on Forza...which the exact same thing held true for the original Xbox Forza comparison as well. If GT5 brings back rally racing it could make for a whole different ballgame though...lol, hope all of this helps!

P.S. I thought I would mention that in order to combat the ps3 controller I will be giving this a try...and everyone is welcome to call me a cheater...I dont care, but this will hopefully make killzone 2 alot better for me lol!

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/FragF...

Best,

3Ball
November 18, 2007 6:08:22 PM

thanks alot mate!, ye that helped i think i'll go for the x360 then! because i love the controller of the x360 aswell:p , nd when the ps3 sometime next year is cheaper i get myself one(wisest choice i think)
November 18, 2007 6:55:38 PM

dostanio said:
thanks alot mate!, ye that helped i think i'll go for the x360 then! because i love the controller of the x360 aswell:p , nd when the ps3 sometime next year is cheaper i get myself one(wisest choice i think)

I found myself playing a few racing games demos recently on my PC, and trying to play them on a keyboard is an exercise in frustration so yesterday I went to Game and forked out for the Xbox 360 wired controller. Its was £25 so I could have got cheaper but everyone who I had spoken to told me it’s a fantastic controller, and after 1 days of play with Sega Rally and Need for Speed Most Wanted, I have to say I'm very happy with it. Who says PC's and Consoles can't live in harmony?
November 18, 2007 7:09:04 PM

JeanLuc said:
I found myself playing a few racing games demos recently on my PC, and trying to play them on a keyboard is an exercise in frustration so yesterday I went to Game and forked out for the Xbox 360 wired controller. Its was £25 so I could have got cheaper but everyone who I had spoken to told me it’s a fantastic controller, and after 1 days of play with Sega Rally and Need for Speed Most Wanted, I have to say I'm very happy with it. Who says PC's and Consoles can't live in harmony?

Haha yea I am glad to see that the PC is has gotten somewhat of a universal controller...as in one that most games that will support a controller know which one is best to be programmed for.

Best,

3Ball
November 18, 2007 8:15:07 PM

I've have got both of them 360 and PS3, both are sweet can't really tell them apart,
if you can't stand nose go for the ps3 as the xbox can get loud and very hot and i've had is freeze on
me when playing need for speed most wanted.

Some things that i like about the ps3 is that the wireless and blu ray is build in but the internet play can be
hard to use sometimes but it is free.

Xbox first thing there's games for it, xbox live does kick ass and is a lot easier to use.
bad things if you don't have the elite, then your xbox will be loud and hot and microsoft
do everything that they can to get every penny out of you

Just what i think :pt1cable: 
November 18, 2007 10:31:55 PM

lavery said:
I've have got both of them 360 and PS3, both are sweet can't really tell them apart,
if you can't stand nose go for the ps3 as the xbox can get loud and very hot and i've had is freeze on
me when playing need for speed most wanted.

Some things that i like about the ps3 is that the wireless and blu ray is build in but the internet play can be
hard to use sometimes but it is free.

Xbox first thing there's games for it, xbox live does kick ass and is a lot easier to use.
bad things if you don't have the elite, then your xbox will be loud and hot and microsoft
do everything that they can to get every penny out of you

Just what i think :pt1cable: 

The newer 360's both in the pro/premium units, the halo edition, and the newer elites all have the quieter drivers and the 65nm cooler running processors so the failure rates and freezes are down. I never have any problems with mine, but my friend who just bought the new pro is very quiet and runs much cooler than my almost year old one.

Best,

3Ball
November 18, 2007 10:47:43 PM

Well - I certainly wouldn't call the 360 I bought a few weeks ago quiet (or anywhere near cool).

It sounds like a huge spaceheater blowing out very hot air (maybe it'll lower my heating bill).

But it plays great, and if that's what I have to deal with to make it last longer I guess I will.
November 19, 2007 12:02:05 AM

If you get the 360 there's a high rate of the red ring then you have wait for microsoft to fix it then send it back. luckily it's free
November 19, 2007 6:11:46 AM

right, i am getting the elite :) , but i am getting bit worried bout this red ring of death? what is it and will every xbox get it?
November 19, 2007 9:55:09 AM

More or less every box will have the RROD happen to it untill they change the way in which it is made, even the elite's. Thing about the 360 now is that all the good games are out now and it's PS3's turn to have the good games coming out. I wonder if I will be buying once soon?
November 19, 2007 2:28:52 PM

, oh so right i must have this ring of death before the guarantee! otherwise am stuck with a broken xbox?? omg the stress waiting till that thing breaks!! lool
November 19, 2007 2:53:32 PM

Lets see if this helps at all..
Yes I own a 360. I've actually owned a Wii, a 360 and a PS3 now in the last year.

I bought the wii.. its a great system and fun in groups but boring to me when playing alone and just relaxing with a game. So I sold it to get the 360 which is a great media center. Awesome game selection and graphics especially after I purchased a 1080p tv. I had the protection plan on the 360 through gamestop. It had some minor issues that were more annoyances than difficulties. So when the PS3 dropped its price point to $400 for the 40 gb. I thought it was a good time to get a new 360 with my warranty and sell it on ebay to get the PS3. I've always been curious if the PS3 was a better system and I wanted the bluray for movies.

Theres the background... So I've tried all three systems. I just returned the PS3 last week to Best Buy last friday and picked up a 360 pro bundle with forza and Marvel ultimate alliance. Why?

I'm a graphic designer and I love detail and well there is a graphic difference between the PS3 and the 360. It may be because the devs aren't programming specifically for the PS3 or the Devkits from sony are too complicated. But the PS3 graphics in direct comparison were jaggy, lower texture quality and the games took as long if not longer to load due to memory design and the graphics solution they went with.

Not to mention that the game selection for the PS3 is lacking currently. I agree that next year may be the year for the PS3 especially since more people are buying the lower priced systems. However I don't want to wait until 2009 for a good library of games. It's been a yr already so that should have been solved by now. Plus most games on the PS3 as I said are on the 360 and look better on the 360.

Theres also the fact that the 360 has an awesoem online community service. Ya you pay $5 a month or so for it but atleast its a solid system. The acheivements and massive number of players. You're never lacking an online game when you want one. The immature players? well thats a different matter all together. But the PS3 network from what I experienced was near death. Even on the hottest games like COD4 it was difficult to find a match. The system itself is archiac and not user friendly. It looks like a 10 yr olds webpage with graphics slapped up every week. It doesn't flow with the PS3 UI. The PSN doesn't have any structure to it and no standards. With that no one really develops for it so its a slow process compared to the Xbox Live which has been refined for yrs.

There other issues with the PS3 and the 360 granted. AS I said my previous 360 I had was the older chipset and it ran great but some times on start up I got red rings. All I had to do was restart and it was fine. My PS3 locked up on numerous occasions in the middle of gamesor even just at the menu system. So it was on both sides.

However I picked up a 360 when I returned my PS3. Theres things to look for to find the new 65nm Falcon 360.

Team: FDOU and (sometimes CSON) have been known for the new chipset
LOT: 734 or higher for any of the systems (pro, elite, halo)
Manufacturer Date: 8-24-07 or later.

Mine was
Pro Bundle
FDOU, lot 735 8-31-07 (I think)

I'm not sure if this will take care of the red rings of death problems or not but it does run cooler and quieter in my opinion.

The 360 in my opinion is a much better package than the PS3. Its much more robust and a huge user base for online play. The graphics are as good if not better than anything no the PS3. Not to mention the controllers are designed for shooter type games but are versatile for others.

I hope this helps.
November 19, 2007 3:58:33 PM

dostanio said:
right, i am getting the elite :) , but i am getting bit worried bout this red ring of death? what is it and will every xbox get it?

Dont worry about the ring of death. Yes it was an early problem alot, but even before they redesigned it the problem was much less prevalent. And for the person who said until they redesign it...well they have as I have mentioned before. Even if it does break...Microsoft will replace the thing usually within a week for you. Buy with confidence.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3152

Best,

3Ball
November 19, 2007 4:02:51 PM

Ananan said:
Well - I certainly wouldn't call the 360 I bought a few weeks ago quiet (or anywhere near cool).

It sounds like a huge space heater blowing out very hot air (maybe it'll lower my heating bill).

But it plays great, and if that's what I have to deal with to make it last longer I guess I will.

Well I am not saying that they run "cool", but rather cooler as well as not quiet, but quieter (I personally never found the noise of the 360 to be relevant...since I cant even hear the thing when I play games). The ps3 is also a space heater...believe me. From what it sounds like though you are just an unlucky buyer right now because they are still trying to clear some of the older ones off of the shelves from what I have heard. My friends broke recently and he took it back to best buy because he bought a warranty there. He exchanged it for a new one and the thing is 2 times quieter than mine and his old one.

Best,

3Ball
November 19, 2007 4:19:05 PM

thanks alot guys thanks harlequin6791, yes this made my mind up getting the X360 on friday:) (hopes this threads helps other in my position).
November 19, 2007 5:30:31 PM

ooh one more question sorry(instead of opening new post), i have a video card on my comp with a HD thing on it so i can connect HD components, would i be able to connect my xbox 360 to my computer and play on the computer screen? thnx
November 19, 2007 5:30:46 PM

No problem I'm glad I could help. I know I was frustrated with the hassle this last week with the whole ordeal. LOL ebaying my 360.. buying a ps3.. returning ps3 and buying a 360. =b

it was retarded but atleast I broke even pretty much
November 19, 2007 5:33:17 PM

You could look up the specs on your vid card and see what it says. It's most likely output only so it wouldnt receive a signal from the 360. HOWEVER... if your monitor has an hdmi connection you could connect your 360 directly to it.

what card did you get?
November 19, 2007 5:34:18 PM

it came with my computer a 8400GS 256mb,
November 19, 2007 5:38:46 PM

The only one I see on Newegg.. is the evga 8400gs. Its all output and no hdmi connection even. There is a DVI port with and with an HDMI adapter you could connect to HD electronics. However its still output from the pc to the electronics.

Sorry
November 19, 2007 5:40:42 PM

but my 8400 at the back has this little HD thing, which most TV's had and the one that the HD cable will connect to. but neway it was to good to be true
November 19, 2007 5:49:39 PM

Sorry my bad.. I did too refined of a search on newegg. There are other 8400 gs cards and yes they do have a HD attachment that is with it but its still video out only not in. Atleast from what I've seen so far. If you card has "vivo" (video in video out) then it can do it otherwise they are strictly output.
November 19, 2007 7:35:50 PM

dostanio said:
ooh one more question sorry(instead of opening new post), i have a video card on my comp with a HD thing on it so i can connect HD components, would i be able to connect my xbox 360 to my computer and play on the computer screen? thnx

You could buy the VGA Cable and connect to your monitor...this is what I do and it looks great.

Best,

3Ball
November 20, 2007 7:17:33 AM

xbox360, goodluck with rrod :D 
December 6, 2007 3:56:36 PM

Either system is good. most game companies make their games multi-platform with minimal differences. The deal breaker would be the following to consider: price and proprietary games (ie: Tekken for PS3, DOA for 360). With that, comes down to preference.

If you're concerned about cost and reliability issues like RROD, you can do what I do is just don't buy any system yet and wait a few revisions and just buy the games. Sounds weird? Maybe, i normally wait till games become $20-30 and buy them right before they become a platinum or greatest hit. Do I care if I play the game later than everyone else or everyone getting to play before I do? NO. A great/good game will always be a great/good game no matter when you play it. If you havent played the game yet or barely played it, then technically you havent gotten bored of it yet.

IMO, both PS3 and x360 currently too expensive and both companies can do more to cut cost without cutting features, especially for PS3. Cost will go down as both companies start revisioning CPU/GPU size and improve efficiency.

PS3 has way too many useless stuff not related too gaming like:
- touch sensor load/eject system (why not use a simple and cheap toploader like PSone and slimPS2???)
- bluetooth (ummm, why?)
- Flash card slots (should be optional)
- etc etc

Same for X360, there is still lots of stuff MS can get rid of with taking away the necessities.
December 6, 2007 6:44:28 PM

X360 now it seems the better choice, im not impressed with the PS3 i dont know maybe to much expectation. And of course they are expensive, with the money of a PS3 i could buy a good computer. Maybe for the hardcore console players its a good choice, but well....you need a good tv also. I'm a console player, but i would never spend the money in a PS3, at least for now. The X360, probably, lots of games and at the moment the better choice. As for the PS3, its too expensive for now i think. In the future maybe Gran Turismo, or Metal Gear can help the PS3, but i dont think its gonna surpass the X360. Well, with some money the best investment is a computer, even the Hardcore Console players, should try.
December 6, 2007 8:19:02 PM

F11 anyone come on that is going to be the system seller
December 6, 2007 8:19:27 PM

ff13 slip of the finger
December 7, 2007 1:24:09 AM

I own both, but would have a hard time recommending a choice between the two. When it comes to the controller, the Xbox360 seems to last longer. Multi platform titles generally look a bit better on the 360 as well, although the PS3 has some sick looking exclusives like Uncharted. If you're strictly interested in a gaming platform, the Xbox360 is the superior choice, and has some nice features if you have a Media Center PC as well. If you're also looking to play HD movies, the PS3 has a serious advantage and it appears to be catching up to the Xbox360 in one way or another.
December 16, 2007 1:50:17 AM

Even though I was completly loyal to the PS franchise, the XBOX 360 seems to be the winner. Being an owner, the console is amazing. Online isnt free, but for 12 months of membership, its $50.

As a side note, the PS3 has some intresting games.
December 16, 2007 7:13:57 PM

Meh,

Depends on which console has the games you want to play.

Me, if I were to buy a game console, it would probably be the Wii. Just played it yesterday and I actually got a good work out with the boxing game.

My friends stood away from me, 'cause I was "throwing" real punchs with a good deal of force. I was sweating after three rounds, and played up to 6 rounds. My muscles are kinda aching a little.

For all other games, I would simply play 'em on the PC.
December 17, 2007 1:53:48 AM

360 has serious design flaws , i have many friends that are on the 2nd 3rd and 4th 360 after red rings of death.

Also has serious rf problem even when its off!,the ps3 does not this problem:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/16/xbox-360-sending-out-disruptive-2-4ghz-vibes/

My nephew also is on his 2nd 360 it didn't even last a month.

Poor powersupply design:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=23998153&page=0

http://www.longren.org/2006/12/08/xbox-360-freezeing-let-your-power-supply-breathe/
December 20, 2007 1:46:34 PM

Here's my take on this whole issue.

Wii is a great system for large groups of people - especially groups that are normally non-gamerish. My wife and I highly enjoy entertaining in our home. The Wii is basically another tool/activity for entertaining groups of people (similar to board games/card games, food, music, etc.). Although the Wii doesn't have great single player, there are a very few select titles that are a ton of fun (Super Mario Galaxy most recently).

My 360 is my anti-social machine and I love it. Just about all games are Live enabled, so it doesn't have to be an anti-social machine, but that's why I have it. It's my DVD player and music player as well. If you like racing games, you have a 360. Why? The controller. Analog triggers, analog steering and extra digital buttons. What other console system lets you accelerate at a specific level while turning at a specific level while handbraking without having to make your fingers move in an unnatural pose? I even use my 360 wired controller that came with the system to play my old NFS titles for the PC. If you like console shooters, you have a 360. Even some PC targeted RTS games (C&C, Universe at War) are coming to the 360. It's really a fantastic platform. My wife also enjoys the XBLA games (puzzle games, etc.).

From my point of view, I really wouldn't be able to decide b/w a Wii and a 360. In fact, I only got a 360 first due to the fact that the Wii was (and still is) difficult to find.

360 vs PS3 is easy though. PS3 was a poor idea and is a dangerous business model for Sony (at launch, Sony had to have each gamer buy 6+ games before the system itself was profitable where as Nintendo makes $ on each Wii they sell). There's no dedicated PS3 game (or set of games) that is decent enough to justify the purchase of a PS3, at least IMO.
December 25, 2007 2:28:58 PM

The xbox 360 is plagued by hardware problems games like halo 3 crash, crash ,crash you don't have problems like this on the ps3.

My nephews got a 360 for xmas they play a game for 10 mins CRASH, reset lol i think ill keep my ps3 thank you.
December 25, 2007 3:02:31 PM

techguy911 said:
The xbox 360 is plagued by hardware problems games like halo 3 crash, crash ,crash you don't have problems like this on the ps3.

My nephews got a 360 for xmas they play a game for 10 mins CRASH, reset lol i think ill keep my ps3 thank you.

I don't get problems like that on the 360. In fact we have been running our 360 almost nonstop for the past couple of months with not one crash, not one red ring of death, not one scratched CD, not one problem.

It is true that the first year the 360 was out it had major issues, but for the last year it has been pretty stable. Stability is not a reason to avoid buying a 360 anymore. And from everything I've heard it is by no means a reason to purchase a PS3 over a 360. They have been about on par for issues lately with complaints of overheating.

Go where the games are. It really is that simple.
December 25, 2007 4:59:03 PM

infornography42 said:
I It is true that the first year the 360 was out it had major issues, but for the last year it has been pretty stable.

How do you explain every new 360 sold the 8 people i know bought including the elite model crash while playing halo 3, i have yet to play a game that crashes on my ps3 as much as halo 3.

Not to mention the lawsuits against bungie for producing a bug ridden crash fest of a game
Search halo 3 on goolgle you get millions of hits of lawsuits and people having problems running halo 3 even go to saying it may even cause the unit to fail.

December 25, 2007 6:25:46 PM

techguy911 said:
How do you explain every new 360 sold the 8 people i know bought including the elite model crash while playing halo 3, i have yet to play a game that crashes on my ps3 as much as halo 3.

Not to mention the lawsuits against bungie for producing a bug ridden crash fest of a game
Search halo 3 on goolgle you get millions of hits of lawsuits and people having problems running halo 3 even go to saying it may even cause the unit to fail.

I play halo 3 for sever hours every day (well not as much now since I now have CoD 4), but none the less I have yet to have a problem with it. I have an old model as well. I do not have one of the redesigned ones with 65nm processors in them and HDMI.

To be fair I have CoD 4 on my ps3 and it doesnt have any problems either and runs much cooler, but it is one of the redesigned 40gb models with 65nm processors and it does not have the built in ps2 engine so that also takes away some of the heat. My roommate on the other hand has one of the original launch 60gb versions and it runs so hot that we cannot put it inside of our entertainment center. I can put my 360 in there with no problems, but if we leave his ps3 in their it will lock up from heat build up.

Its all about what you get. Me and all of my friends have flawless 360's. Some have problems with their ps3, and some dont. It goes both ways, but yes the 360 did have a very high rate of failure, but it has been brought down a whole lot.

Best,

3Ball
December 26, 2007 1:13:03 AM

If you're at all interested in Blu-Ray movies, go for the PS3 since it's a cheap Blu-Ray player. But if you're in it more for the games, the Xbox 360 hands down.
December 26, 2007 7:32:27 PM

Lol what a nightmare my sister buys a 360 for her kids for xmas , buys halo 3 , they play other games for a few hours no problems then when kids stick in halo 3 and say yes to updating bricks the system rofl.

If xbox 360 can be bricked by simple updates you can have it, called ms 1st thing they asked is did it happen after updating system using halo 3 disc lol.

I have updated my ps3 since release never had anything even close to that happen.

I guess my sister should have bought her kids a Wii at least it would be more reliable and prob better games for 8 year olds.

December 27, 2007 7:53:23 PM

I have a first run 60GB PS3 and a 360 Elite. Both have their positives and negatives. It comes down to 4 things, atleast for me.

One, what games do you want to play? Some games are on both systems, some of those games run better on one vs the other. Take Rainbow Six Vegas for instance. I actually have it for both. I prefer the 360 version because I have problems with the colors on the PS3 version (but that could just be my TV). I also have Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 for both and I prefer the PS3 version. The 360 one has HORRIBLE frame rate when you run 4 players. The PS3 version works flawlessly with 4 players going. I have borrowed Oblivion for 360 from my friend to see the difference vs my Oblivion for PS3. As far as I can tell there isn't one.

Two, is online play a crucial aspect for you? If yes, the 360 is leaps and bounds better than the PS3. Xbox Live is far better then PSN, even though PSN is free. I personally am not a huge Online guy so I get most games for my PS3. (even though my friends, who all have 360s, get mad because we can't play online together if I get it for PS3)

Three, do you want to play HD content (Bluray or HDDVD)? And if so, do you prefer one over the other? I'm not going to start the whole Bluray vs HD DVD topic on here because its the same arguement as PS3 vs 360, it comes down to which movies are in which format. PS3s can play Bluray out of the box where the 360 can be upgraded via an external drive to play HD DVDs. Both come to about the same amount of $$$ (PS3 vs 360+HDDVD Drive)

Finally, four, the price. True, PS3s are a bit more money then your standard 360, or even the arcade version of the 360 (no hard drive version). The reason for this is because you are paying for the Bluray drive. There are people who claim Sony should take the Bluray drive out of the PS3 and sell it for $100 less. These people need to do some research because all PS3 games are on Bluray discs, you take the drive out and you have a supercharged PS2, not a PS3. Also, someone mentioned that Sony should take out the Bluetooth. Again, do some research. The SIXAXIS, DualShock 3, and the Media remote use Bluetooth to talk to the PS3. You take that out and the system has to be used with wired controllers. Also, this enables you to use your phone's bluetooth headset to talk to players. And the same person said to take out the memory card readers... dude, do you even pay attention to things? The 40GB model has those removed, thats part of why its $100 cheaper than the 80GB. I personally believe that if it was not for the price of the PS3, it would be in a much closer race.

As far as hardware issues and crashes, its like any other electronic equipment. You always take that risk when you buy anything. The first series of 360s had problems but I have personally not come across any issues with current models. The PS3s don't have many problems either. This by no stretch of the imagination means one is better then the other as far as reliability. It is simply the risk you take.
December 29, 2007 6:17:36 PM

I agree with you Weirdo. Had the PS3 been priced more in line with expectations, it would have been a much stronger contender and as a result there would have been a much larger install base which would lead to more games being made for it.

The pricetag put it out of reach for most consumers and as such it has a very small install base relative to the competition. This results in fewer exclusive titles.

I don't dispute the value you get for that money, as you get a bluray player, a top notch gaming console, and some compatibility with the PS2. Unfortunately I am not in the market for a Blu ray player as I feel they are still priced outside of the range I would consider them at and I buy my consoles for the games I can play on them. The 360 quite simply wins in the games department and it has a notable initial price advantage over the PS3.

If I did not already have a PS2 I might consider the PS3 to be more attractive, but as things stand... I'd say it is still too early.
February 12, 2008 6:10:12 PM

My vote goes for the PS3 for several reasons.

1. Reguardless of what the fans boys say PS3 is more powerful. end of story

2. Blu Ray: first as of right now the HD-DVD format is loseing supporters for their format (in the movie department) and blu-ray is far superior to hd-dvd in the gameing area for one main reason disk capacity. This mean longer, better, more beautiful looking games. the bigger the disk the more game you get.

3. Some people argue "if the PS3 is better how come the 360 is selling better" well theres no doubt that the 360 is selling better than the ps3. 360 did come out before the ps3 and becuase it is harder to program for the ps the 360 has more games. but think of this. As of right now 360 has released some of its best games for the systems life cycle *not all but most* the ps3 has released NONE. So now think if the ps3 is still selling pretty well WITHOUT the help of its major titles such as GTA 4, GT 5, MGS 4, devil may cry 4, God of war 3, and ff 13 *the seller for me* and many many more i personally feel thats pretty dam good.

4. Limitations: as of right now UT3 has used about 93% of the 360s capability as far as graphics performance, while the same game only uses 26%. considering that both of these consoles are stll new * in my opinion* thats really bad for the 360

5. playing faster than the system: back when i played SSB: melee for GC the biggest problem i have is that iam go faster than the system can go. so my timing in games seems to be off, and slow resposive. i played armored core 4 on both the 360 and the ps3. after playing it first on the 360 and getting used to the new controls, and the new features of the game series. i found myself to be going faster than the game could process my inputs, thus the game seemed to be lagging, trashed that 360 got a elite, same problem. * i new that getting a new wouldnt fix it but it was just wishful thinking. Then i tried it on ps3 and i dont have this problem. Basically i should never be faster than the machine itself. in a nutshell the 360 is tooo slow in response time. this only applies to me and those who get frusrated with it. ive played armored core since its first realse in japan, and have played in many tourneys, so my skills in armored core is not the problem, many others like myself have the same problem.

6. Granted the 360 has more games, but about like 90% of those games are all FPS. the ps3 on the other hand has a better selection as far as game genres go.

7. this is more of a rasicts thing to say, but where my tech is designed matters to me. and i will take japanese designed technology over american tech any day. to me ive had better experience with my own technology over american tech. same thing with cars. its all about who designs it, if its designed to break so your forced to buy more/another, i dont want anything to do with it.

8. controller: this is probably the most important thing when it comes to console gameing. i cant stnad big controllers, i have large hands so i like small controllers so iam not wasteing preciose milliseconds reaching for a button when a section of my palm cant do it without movement. the 360 control i fell was deigned for FPS only. which in the 360 defense the 360s controller is much better for FPS, but lets face it i play all genres of games not just fps. Also the response time of the controller seems much faster on the ps3 gamepad by several fractions of a second, which in a fps that means alot.

9. Once compaines are able to program effectively for the ps3, gamers WILL see the vast differnce between the 360 and the ps3 even after the 360's full potential is reached.

10. free online play is better than paying for it.

11. design of the ps3 suits me better. i loved my psp XMB, so i loved the port to the ps3.

12. hardware issues: although ive never had any myself, the 360 has more and the design is flawed.

13.Price: everyone bitched about the ps3 price when it was 600 buck, these people know nothing of technology, otherwise they would know that at 600 bucks they are still getting the better deal. the cell processor is worth more that the system itself, let alone the blu ray player.

thats just a few things why i choose the ps3 over the 360.

ps i own all 3. and iam not a fanboy really. for me its about the SPECS, and the FACTS. sorry about the spelling mistakes -.- was kinda in a hurry
February 13, 2008 1:29:19 AM

Nine Ball said:
My vote goes for the PS3 for several reasons.

1. Reguardless of what the fans boys say PS3 is more powerful. end of story

4. Limitations: as of right now UT3 has used about 93% of the 360s capability as far as graphics performance, while the same game only uses 26%. considering that both of these consoles are stll new * in my opinion* thats really bad for the 360

10. free online play is better than paying for it.

ps i own all 3. and iam not a fanboy really. for me its about the SPECS, and the FACTS. sorry about the spelling mistakes -.- was kinda in a hurry

Care to back any of this up with technical knowledge/understand or evidence as many of us on here have? Please explain without marketing hype.

I am really curious is to where you got the 93% and 26% numbers.

Free online may be nice, but xbox live is vastly superior to PSN. Me and my friends have constant problems with the PSN when trying to play CoD 4 and much less when it comes to xbox live. Communication is easier, better and much more clear with the 360. You are able to access many menus from in game on the 360, which you cannot do with the ps3. You are a 360 owner so you must understand how great this feature is unless you do not play with your friends.

I also own all 3, and am not fanboy, but I fail to see the ps3 as having nearly 4 times the processing power of the 360. I understand the hardware in the machines very well as well as the programming behind them (well I don't personally understand the programming, but my roommate is trying to get into the industry and he is my source for that area) and none of the evidence (technical specifications) points the these, quite frankly, ridiculous number differences in processing power that you claim. So if you could enlighten me then that would be great as I will have been lying to alot of people and need to correct myself if what you have to say proves to be logical and is backed up with some good evidence or at least explanation.

I am not trying to be an a**hole, but I would like see where you are coming even though I feel that mine and many others on these forums are pretty dead on. Thanks for the clarification if it comes.

Best,

3Ball
February 13, 2008 2:19:24 AM

My Elite red ringed on me on the 1st of this month, but it has yet to do it again. I believe it was a glitch caused by a demo crashing, but it was still quite scary. I haven't had any problems with my 360 otherwise, but I kind of like the PS3 more in certain cases. It's much quieter, it can play blu-ray movies, has a web browser among other extras, and it has some neat features through remote play with a PSP. Of course, when it comes to actual games I generally play the 360 more for multiplayer, because Warhawk simply isn't as entertaining as Halo 3. If I'm playing alone, I generally prefer the PS3 as I find Uncharted to be quite a lot of fun. As far as processing power, the Xbox360 has an undeniably more advanced GPU than the PS3, but the Cell processor in the PS3 can make up for the GPU shortcomings if utilized properly. Another issue though for the PS3 is the 512MB being split between the GPU and CPU unlike the 360's unified design. That's not to say that the 360 is without flaws though; while the 10MB of eDRAM does offer antialiasing at next to no performance penalty, the frame buffer has already proven to be too small in some cases and image tiling can become necessary.
!