Upgrade Home to Pro

I'm going to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro. Can I just run it as an upgrade or
do I need to format the drive and do a clean install? Will everything work
the same as before? Is Pro just an XP with a few more features in it? If
I boot to the Pro install disk, will it see the Home version as an older
version and automatically try to upgrade?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade home

    Yes to just about all your statements (it will upgrade, things SHOULD work
    as before, it has more file security and can log onto a domain but unless
    you need the features it is not worth upgrading, it will see Home as a
    qualifying upgrade path even though the box doesn't state it.) After you
    install Pro over Home you will have to redo any SP installations you have
    done in the past.

    Now, do you really need to do the upgrade? Read the features between the
    two to help you decide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    "Terry" <terry5000@ihatespam,verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I'm going to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro. Can I just run it as an upgrade
    or
    > do I need to format the drive and do a clean install? Will everything
    work
    > the same as before? Is Pro just an XP with a few more features in it? If
    > I boot to the Pro install disk, will it see the Home version as an older
    > version and automatically try to upgrade?
    > Thanks.

    By the way, make sure to backup everything before you upgrade. Things can
    go wrong with any program installation and this is a major installation.

    LVTravel wrote:

    > Yes to just about all your statements (it will upgrade, things SHOULD work
    > as before, it has more file security and can log onto a domain but unless
    > you need the features it is not worth upgrading, it will see Home as a
    > qualifying upgrade path even though the box doesn't state it.) After you
    > install Pro over Home you will have to redo any SP installations you have
    > done in the past.
    >
    > Now, do you really need to do the upgrade? Read the features between the
    > two to help you decide
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    >

    > "Terry" <terry5000@ihatespam,verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm going to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro. Can I just run it as an upgrade
    > or
    >> do I need to format the drive and do a clean install? Will everything
    > work
    >> the same as before? Is Pro just an XP with a few more features in it?
    >> If I boot to the Pro install disk, will it see the Home version as an
    >> older version and automatically try to upgrade?
    >> Thanks.

    Well, I've had problems with user permission settings that wouldn't seem to
    let some programs run except in admin mode and I want to have some users
    set up as superuser that home wouldn't let me do. Also sick of having to
    reboot to get into admin account. Pro may not solve some of this but I can
    get it at a very good price. :)
    Thanks for the info.

Clean Install Microsoft Windows XP