Assasin's Creed, PS3 or XBox 360?

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
As owner all the next generation consoles, for the game Assasin's Creed, which platform is a better choice in terms of graphics performance?

After searching and reading so many information on the web, I still cannot find out which version I should choose because there are so many biased opinion.

It would be great for Tom's Hardware or Tom's Game to produce a technical comparison between games on their graphics, control and differences releasing for both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

seanie

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Neither the game is supposedly really bad read the reviews on ign or something similar, if i was you i'd rent, I see your in hong kong was there in october going back in april have to say brilliant city/country

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I know the game is the same in content and nearly the same in control systems.

Though, for the graphics part, I would like to get the version with better performance in my perception and criteria. There is no rental system in Hong Kong so, we need to purchase the game and have a try.

From reviews I read so far, PS3 gets a little bit better in frame rate but XBox 360 gets a little bit better in texture details. I prefer PS3's frame rate but there are biased reviews and videos, I really don't know which one to trust.

Also, on PS3, you only get 720p but on XBox 360 with HDMI, you can have 1080p.

Because of the competition and the nature of market situation, we get really low official prices for games, AC XBox 360 cost only US$38 and PS3 cost only US$46. You may find them in the US as well as parallel import.

jnh

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
id say 360. to assume that the the ps3 version has better graphics simply because its a ps3 is quite a stupid assumption to make. from what i've read the 360 has slightly better texturing. i've had no problem with framerates on the 360 so i dont see that argument is all that strong either. also, something to consider. apparently the ps3 version occasionally hangs when loading between "the kingdom" and a city. 360 also has the advantage of achievements to give you some things to aim for after finishing the game if your a points whore. personally i want the pc version now. while i think the game is very good, i can see what some reviewers are getting at about it feeling rushed and some things, like the AI sometimes, isnt always that good. the pc version was due out 2 weeks after the consoles, then suddenly they delay it just before the console release... sounds suspiciously to me like the console releases where to cash in on xmas, the pc version will hopefully have the few little problems it has ironed right out.

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Thanks, jnh.

For nearly all games rolling out on both PS3 and XBox 360, The XBox 360 version seems to get better graphics quality. Only the rare occasion of Rainbow Six Vegas which PS3 is performing better because of the delay.

For Assasin's Creed, the game is originally an exclusive for the PS3 and from some reviews, the PS3 gets a bit more stable frame rates. So, I would like to know before purchasing.

I get friends with XBox 360 version but PS3 version is not out in Hong Kong yet.

It is always the PC version but sadly, my current P4 cannot handle the current generation of games.

I doubt why Tom's Hardware or Tom's Game is not hosting technical reviews and the like for games releasing on both systems.

roo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I had problems with both systems. i first bought it for 360 and when I put the game in it required and update for the game to run. I installed the update and when the console rebooted, i got the red ring. I swapped the next day for the ps3 version. it had problems with freeazing quite a few times and there was an issue with the framerate later in the game during a pretty major battle. I don't know if the 360 version has these problems because mine is in the mail going back to microsoft..................... again.

Flex_Relax

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I also think the XBox 360 today is graphically better. About the game Assasin's Creed, well...to much expectation, and a big disappointment. The game is not very bad, but, its not very good also. Well....its interesting i guess.

meehan666

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I have the PS3 version. I've been playing about 8 hours now and the game has frozen up on me at least half a dozen times.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Well, I guess we could start doing PS3/360 side-by-side comparisons. We talked about it a while back but we figured that since the readership is more PC gaming focused, not enough people would be interested to make it worth the effort. But I'm still open to doing comparisons if there's enough of a demand.

As for the game itself, my review will be up tomorrow, so I don't want to spoil what I think of it. I played the Xbox 360 version and it crashed twice, but other than that, the game looked excellent and had no noticeable frame rate issues or other problems. Haven't seen the PS3 version so I can't comment.

Gambini

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Not to sound fanboyish, but you might want to save your 360 for the exclusives. Every single person that I know (except one) has gotten the RROD. So, go for the PS3 version to buy your 360 some more time for owning people on Halo or something.

Flex_Relax

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

Actually it depends of the P4, because some can handle the new games, and with a decent graphics card its alot better than any PS3 or XBOX 360.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Owning both platforms, I've been able to see that the PS3 version of games generally looks a bit worse, and I've found the PS3 controllers don't last nearly as long as the ones for the Xbox360. I've hardly played the thing and the analog sticks are beginning to get stuck in different positions. When it comes to PS3 exclusives however, Uncharted looks phenomenal and is definitely worth looking at if you own a PS3.