jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Well I finished crysis last night and I must say I was a bit dissapointed. I didn't expect to come to the end so soon. I thought I might be getting close but then when they say that they found Prophet's signal coming from the inside of the sphere and I say that I am going to go help him, I thought the game was going to continue. I was dissapointed that I didn't get to go help him finish off the aliens. Especially since I just got my tactical nuke launcher :(

On a side note, did anyone else think that the part where you made your way through the alien tunnels took too long? I felt like they kept going on forever.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Yeah..was disappointed with the ending..kept hoping it wasn't the end when I was fighting the alien warship so when I heard the part about going back to the island I was going "woohoo" and then the credits rolled :sob sob

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I agree about the tunnels feeling a little too long. The ending was a little disappointing, but I think the last boss fight was decent. It brought me back to those 2D plane shooting games w/ the big ending boss. (Raiden anyone?) I'd give it an 7.5/10 for single player. I don't like the multiplayer at all though.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Yea, I thought the multiplayer was rather dull too. I much prefer BF2142. Maybe I just need to give more people time to get involved with it. I didn't like the fact that you have to purchase weapons at every respawn. I think that's why I gave up so quickly on it.

I was also hoping to be able to fly one of the helicopters for a mission but I guess not :(

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Yea, I thought the multiplayer was rather dull too. I much prefer BF2142. Maybe I just need to give more people time to get involved with it. I didn't like the fact that you have to purchase weapons at every respawn. I think that's why I gave up so quickly on it.
Yeah, that's what made me sad.

I was also hoping to be able to fly one of the helicopters for a mission but I guess not
You get to fly a jump ship though. That was pretty fun.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
This is a trilogy. Don't know when the next one is coming.

As for multiplayer, it's fun, but too easy, even more noobs than 2142 ever had lol.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It's a trilogy from what I hear. Hopefully by the time part II hits we'll have some next gen cards that can really show us what the engine has to offer while remaining playable (and pretty with lots of AA :D).

**Edit** If for some reason Crytek people read this - Add new weapons and technology to the sequels! That's one thing that disappointed me about HL2... never any new weapons in any of the episodes. :(

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I am kinda glad to hear that this is a trilogy. I didn't know that either. I truthfully was not as impressed with this game as I had hoped. Farcry was really good (at least the first 3/4's or so) so I was hoping for the same or better creativity. But back to the point, I thought the ending sucked. But now knowing it's a "part one" it doesn't seem so bad.
What is it with games getting shorter and shorter by the way? Crysis seemed like about 10-12 hours. And COD4, jeeze, maybe 7 or 8 hours.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I second that. It seems that the only games that offer a decent single player anymore are RPG's. Neverwinter Nights 2 seemed to go on forever. I took my time, read every dialogue, did every side quest that I could. It by the time I was getting near the end of the game, I was almost tired of playing it. That is the way I like game to be. I like to be ready for the end of the game. Not surprised that it is over with so soon. Games that go on to long allow you to loose interest after a while, but you can always go back to them. Games that are overwith so quickly leave you upset that you don't have more to play. Or in the case of Crysis, you have to wait two or more years for the sequel to come out.

Did anyone check out the video link I poasted earlier. Supposedly it is from Crysis 2. I don't know if it really is or not byt the gameplay didn't seem to be from the first game.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Well, what did you think of Crysis? I just finished the game and it seemed just OK for several reasons. Some comments depend on what you run the game with so;
AMD3800X2
7800GT SLI
2GB RAM
XPSP2
Creative X-fi
1024 x 768 MEDIUM setting except Shadows at LOW and sound at High
FPS 30-70 range using “r_displayinfo 1”
HARD difficulty

First, it didn’t really look as good as FarCry in my eyes, with the same system hardware. OK, I don’t use DX10, just DX9.0c. But, why should a game go BACKWARDS from a previous game using the same type of game engine? It seems it should be at least as good a looking a game at reasonable settings. But it isn’t. I ran Far Cry at “high” at the same resolution, and had better performance and graphical looks. So if you run a modest system, forget about a “super” good-looking game, Just OK. Granted, the physics seem better than far cry, and it isn’t awful looking by any means. I just think it could be better on modest systems. If you never saw FarCry, you’d think different. I’m also not into the too dark to see anything stuff, either, which afflicts this game terribly in too many places. Doom3 was about it for grouping in the dark as far as I’m concerned. I have a have good monitor because I like to SEE things!

The graphics are confused, too. Why would the precision rifle have blurry and thick as tree trunk scope reticules and no zoom at all where the assault weapon has a crisp set of reticules and 4x plus 10X scope zoom? The wrong weapon is a sniper rifle! The scope is two inches from your face, why is it blurry on the precision rifle and not on the assault rifle? OK, the backgrounds can fad into a fog, but the scope foreground?

You can’t go prone, or stand up if you’re near anything at all; you just get stuck and died as you try to stand to run to a better vantage point. That got real old and real fast.

The first half of the game was more fun than the last half, about when you go into the “cave” and go weightless and wander around lost, like that’s “fun”. This is where the writers failed miserably with a good story line. There is no science fiction added to the game to make it “plausible”. Who, what, and where were they from, what were they doing, why were they doing it? In this game, they just “do” with zero explanation(s). They gathered “stuff” from above in the caves, but why? They had a TON of good things to work with. OK, the Koreans tried to gather a new power source for themselves. Great, but the alien side of the story was just not there. Granted, we get the idea the aliens want to destroy the world, or just go after power wherever it may be? Who knows, plenty of sci-fi movies have the creature(s) heading toward the power lines, after all. Were they really at war, or just trying to gather a new power source after their old planet died? I could go on and on, but you get the point. No compelling story line.

The vertical lift and take-off flying machine section was TERRIBLE! The darn thing was so slow and cumbersome, we SHOULD LOSE with jets like this! That and the jet would stop forward motion and just fall out of the air for no apparent reason. Was it the ice dome plowing me down? Why? Where’s the story line? Eventually, I found that you could fly at essentially treetop level and hug the far side of the valley, away from the ice dome (was that it?), and somehow escape to the carrier. It never felt like “I” was doing anything. The less I did the better. Kill things? Forget about it. If it wasn’t a direct objective, just move on ahead. It was just dumb luck to fly through the valley without sliding backwards and falling into the ground with no reason as to why.

The carrier episode felt like I was a kid at Burger King that is trying to get from one side of a crayon drawing maze to the other. Either in the carrier itself or on the deck, I seemed to be wandering around hallways or all the strategically placed fire stops and junk lying all over the deck topside. The “magic” gun? OK, how about some explanation on this thing, it only seemed to work at specific locations in the game. I must have gone over and over this ten times before I figured out EXACTLY where to aim the gun to “lock-on”, and only at specific times does it work. Otherwise, you need to use conventional weapons. What weapon ONLY works aimed at specific targets? It doesn’t even use “ammunition” so much as the power from your suit. So what’s with the strange limitations on the gun?

I think that the developers got tired of this thing and threw it out there after years of hype. OK, it is DX10. So what. The story line makes it have replay character. I’ve played FarCry and Quake 4 several times all the way through. The last half of this game isn’t even worth wading through again, its just too frustrating to deal with the weightless cave maze, the lousy flight characteristics of the jet and the stupid crayon maze carrier level. Me, I’ll play up to the cave entrance, and then quit. In general if you liked FarCry, you’ll love the first half of this game, and probably hate the last half.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I had the same problem with the VTOL. I thought it was way to slow and sluggish to dogfight these aliens. I also for no reason would just fall out of the sky and land in the forest. The vertical thrusters would just stop working. Once they did, you could never get them to work again. I would only be able to plow through the trees on the ground until I crashed the vtol. I never thought about it being because of the freeze ray but if that was the reason, then your cockpit window should ice up to make you realize that you have been hit.

I didn't mind the boat section that much but I did think there wasn't enough action and too much story in that part. I do agree about the anti-gravity. Way to long!!!

Over all I think you said it best that the first part of the game is replayable while the second half is not.

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
With my 8800gt, I must say I was very impressed with crysis. For the most part though, I agree with the criticisms leveled in this thread. The first 3/4 of the game was great, and when the aliens came the game just wasn't that fun.

I was really dissapointed not to be able to use the alien guns against the north koreans, that would have been fun. The chaingun should have been available earlier. My one disagreement is that I thought the level flying the VTOL was a fun change of pace. It was the one vehicle I was actually able to use with no problems.

The part of the game in the alien environment was a real drag. And the aliens are not fun to fight at all. Having said that, I loved the first 3/4 of the game enough that I would buy the sequel in a heartbeat. If you have the right hardware, the graphics are truly amazing.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
vtol... press spacebar lol.. I do agree about the carrier was confusing, but there's signs everywhere (was less confusing than first going into a hospital) and until it all goes to hell, soldiers show you where to go (dude running back to the bridge, etc), and only certain doors open.

Flying in third person was easier for me, even though it flew like similarly like the gunship in 2142 (with alot less control).

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Crysis was/is all hype. This in fact should be two games, not one. Teh first half of the game, GREAT! Loved every minute of it. The second half...eh I'll quit while I'm ahead. Hated it. Cave tunnel took forever, the damn VTOL, oh god the VTOL. I don't even know where to begin with this thing. Random crashes into the ground, can't turn or maneuver AT ALL. Just problem after problem.

The graphics. Eh, CoD4 is better. Running at medium settings taxed my system way more than it should have. The game seemed unoptimized to me. Did anyone else get a huge system hit when you had to scale down the mountain to get to Prophet?

The story line is, well, not a story line at all. It's just this: you go to an island to save people, find an alien, go to war with the koreans, go to an alien cave, kill some aliens, fly a VTOL, go to a carrier, feel like a mouse in a maze, kill a few more aliens, use a TAC launcher, the end. pretty sure that covers it.

The ending, wow. What a let down. For this I won't be picking up the sequel to Crysis. Absolutely horrible.

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
That video in the link above came in the special edition material. I thought it was supposed to be "concept" because if you watch the video from the link again, you can see numbers on the bottom. Those numbers include a date which was something like 2005 or earlier, I can't exactly remember, and I don't really feel like digging up the high resolution video at the moment. Besides, would there be any Koreans still in the sequel? They fled when the aliens showed up, I thought.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

it is old, made way before the game came out (probably midway through developmet). It is also completely CG and not ingame made video like the current game has. (which I think are pretty well done)

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
crysis is way way too short. for the inside of the alien spaceship part, it was like a nightmare. i was going to replay crysis but i dont want to go through that alien ship's part again. after i fought the last boss, i tho it was just the 2nd half of the game.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The graphics. Eh, CoD4 is better. Running at medium settings taxed my system way more than it should have. The game seemed unoptimized to me. Did anyone else get a huge system hit when you had to scale down the mountain to get to Prophet?
I never really got the big graphics hit on the mountain to prophet, but I must admit that I really didn't enjoy the tunnels too much. I just kept going on forever and it was easy to get lost and disoriented,which was fun at first, but quickly caused me to just wish I was out of the place already.

Now that I think about it, I really didn't find fighting the aliens from prophet onward very fun. There was almost 0 strategy involved. (I had approached the first half of the game stealth-like) The mountain onward is just guns blazing - stand, shoot, and duck. The aliens really have no strategy - just run at you and kill you. I think they could've made a very fun fight out of the big spider robot after you get out of the bubble. You know, give you a hummer with a rocket launcer / minigun and have a drive around shooting off key points... instead they kinda turned it into a lame blast-it-to-death-with-rockets fight on the boat, which really wasn't fun since you pretty much stand in one place and press shoot.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
the zero g tunnels were the worst part of the game, (apart from the vtol, but that wasn't very long) but I still enjoyed fighting the aliens, just not as much as I had done for the Koreans

jskirwin

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Like the others somewhat disappointed in the game especially compared to FarCry which is one of my all-time faves. It brought my mid-range system to its knees during the snow scenes. Also got tired of scrounging for ammo.