XP upgrade clean install and win98 OEM

When the store where I purchased my PC from built and sold
me my machine many years ago, they supplied me with an OEM
version of Windows 98.

I'm in the process of building a new machine and upgrading
to Windows XP Professional.

Can a clean install upgrade be done using the Win98 OEM CD
as the verification disc or do I have to shell out extra
money and buy the full version of XP Pro?

Thanks,

Cat
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade clean install win98

    Cat Malone wrote:
    > When the store where I purchased my PC from built and sold
    > me my machine many years ago, they supplied me with an OEM
    > version of Windows 98.
    >
    > I'm in the process of building a new machine and upgrading
    > to Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > Can a clean install upgrade be done using the Win98 OEM CD
    > as the verification disc or do I have to shell out extra
    > money and buy the full version of XP Pro?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Cat

    It might work, technically, if you have a true installation CD and
    not an OEM recovery disk for Win98. However, legally, you cannot use
    the OEM Win98 license in such a manner.

    OEM versions must be sold with a non-peripheral piece of hardware
    (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC, although
    Microsoft has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are
    _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An
    OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another
    computer under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people
    avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even
    stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC.

    This means that you may not legitimately transfer the OEM Win98
    license to the new computer in order to qualify for the upgrade
    license. This leaves you two options, if you wish to act with
    integrity and abide by the OEM EULA, to which you've agreed:

    1) Purchase a full WinXP license for the new PC. An OEM license
    would cost less than a retail license, but would be under the same
    restrictions as the OEM Win98 license you now have.

    2) Purchase a second-hand retail license for Win98 to use as a
    "qualifier" for the WinXP upgrade license on the new machine. This
    option may well cost less than the first.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm