T-Mobile's Internet Access?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 10, 2004 8:48:48 AM

Apologies if wrong forum.....

Anyone used their T-Mobile phone service for internet access? They claim
speeds better than dial-up, which I'm looking to replace for work travel?
Any real-world reports?
Thanks
LT

More about : mobile internet access

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:12:06 PM

LT wrote:

> Apologies if wrong forum.....

Since a mobile is a wireless device you may be in the right forum...

> Anyone used their T-Mobile phone service for internet access? They claim
> speeds better than dial-up, which I'm looking to replace for work travel?
> Any real-world reports?

I'm using T-Mobile GPRS access here in Germany for nearly 2 years now. The
datarate is OK, you can compare it to with a modem. Depending on your
connection it can be a 56k but also a 9.6k modem. The main problem are the
long latency time. Sometimes it needs a second for an connection to be
established, but that's a typical GPRS problem.

Overall it's good your typical business work like, downloading mail.
Terminal or telnet sessions may be too slow.

Thomas
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 11:59:38 PM

I also use T mobiles gprs, and it s great for the price, but painfully
slow. Attachments of 1 or 2 megs take long periods of time to download.
I have also noticed, for whatever reason, when the reception indicators
is at 3 bars, vs 5 bars, it is faster! who knows why. IN southern
california its 29.99 for unlimited use. Good price for emergency needs.

!