T-Mobile's Internet Access?

Apologies if wrong forum.....

Anyone used their T-Mobile phone service for internet access? They claim
speeds better than dial-up, which I'm looking to replace for work travel?
Any real-world reports?
Thanks
LT
2 answers Last reply
More about mobile internet access

    LT wrote:

    > Apologies if wrong forum.....

    Since a mobile is a wireless device you may be in the right forum...

    > Anyone used their T-Mobile phone service for internet access? They claim
    > speeds better than dial-up, which I'm looking to replace for work travel?
    > Any real-world reports?

    I'm using T-Mobile GPRS access here in Germany for nearly 2 years now. The
    datarate is OK, you can compare it to with a modem. Depending on your
    connection it can be a 56k but also a 9.6k modem. The main problem are the
    long latency time. Sometimes it needs a second for an connection to be
    established, but that's a typical GPRS problem.

    Overall it's good your typical business work like, downloading mail.
    Terminal or telnet sessions may be too slow.

    Thomas

    I also use T mobiles gprs, and it s great for the price, but painfully
    slow. Attachments of 1 or 2 megs take long periods of time to download.
    I have also noticed, for whatever reason, when the reception indicators
    is at 3 bars, vs 5 bars, it is faster! who knows why. IN southern
    california its 29.99 for unlimited use. Good price for emergency needs.

    Thomas Krüger wrote:

    > LT wrote:
    >

    >>Apologies if wrong forum.....
    >

    > Since a mobile is a wireless device you may be in the right forum...
    >

    >>Anyone used their T-Mobile phone service for internet access? They claim
    >>speeds better than dial-up, which I'm looking to replace for work travel?
    >>Any real-world reports?
    >

    > I'm using T-Mobile GPRS access here in Germany for nearly 2 years now. The
    > datarate is OK, you can compare it to with a modem. Depending on your
    > connection it can be a 56k but also a 9.6k modem. The main problem are the
    > long latency time. Sometimes it needs a second for an connection to be
    > established, but that's a typical GPRS problem.
    >
    > Overall it's good your typical business work like, downloading mail.
    > Terminal or telnet sessions may be too slow.
    >
    > Thomas

Internet Access Mobile Dial Up Connection Wireless Networking