Crysis sucks. Worth getting?

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
If you've read any of my comments on this or my quote. You've probably notice or not... I really don't like Crysis and think it's overhyped piece of something. But after all it was rated best of the best by alot of review sites. Should I get it? Only for single player campaign? Is only single play worth it? How long is it? Is it replayable? Bunch of questions I have. Alot of weapons?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
So far I'm at the beginning of Onslaught (5th level) and I must say that it has been a treat, I have loved every second of the single player campaign, since it was pretty much I was expecting and looking forward to.

One thing that I do have to say is that the game will most likely not be all that enjoyable if you play at easy/normal difficulty levels, the reason behind this is that at hard you are forced to plan your attacks a bit or you'll get slaughtered and even more important is that you are forced to rely on the nanosuit to survive, which is the essence of the game.

My verdict, if you are going to buy crysis and are planning to play the SP campaign (Some people only play multiplayer) then do it on hard or don't do it at all, because you'll most likely end up with the feeling that the game is not challenging at all, enemy is weak, and that you can basically run everyone over with a humvee.

One last thing, some people have reported that there's little action on the first half of the game, well... If you seek conflict then you are going to get conflict, instead of just sneaking around the jungle, I look around and take out every settlement I find and do every secondary objective that I get, if you do that, I promise you that you'll be plenty entertained on the first half of the game.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Another thing that I do is that I don't use a silencer at all, adding more difficulty to the game, because I'm not able to so easily pick enemies without having the rest to notice. It's really up to you to decide how hard you want the game to be, I'm sure there are more ways to intentionally create obstacles while you play if you find it too easy.

And then again, it's up to you on how you prefer to play, I like create chaos on my own orchestrated way and also get in the middle of hard-to-get-out situations (usually rushing in recklessly) to overcome the enemy... takes a few tries anyway, but it's fun :D

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Crysis seems like it runs OK on an older system;
AMD3800X2
2Gig RAM
2 x 7800GT SLI
Creative X-Fi

I have the system settings at 1024 x 768 and all graphical toggle sat MEDIUM except sound, which I set at HIGH and shader, which I set to LOW.

The problem with the MID setting on shader quality is that I get twinkling shimmer all over the top of everything which is very distracting. Not so if I set it to low or HIGH, but high kills my frame rate. Compared to FarCry the game engine is recognizable, but different if that makes any sense. The colors are more Technicolor style (sort of matte and dull). But t is still a good-looking game. I use 1024 x 768, even though the supposed game optimizer selected 800 x 600 and low settings, so I don’t use any anti-aliasing, which slows stuff down too much for the benefit.

Some funny things I’ve found playing the game.
- This game has no health, instead using your bio suit to “recharge”, so it seems odd that you can saver on most levels at will. You technically have infinite health if you learn to back away from bad situations quick enough and just hide. FarCry allowed ZERO saves except at checkpoints, and you were limited on health through the levels. This game seems more appropriate to have no saves except at game set points than FarCry.
- On low settings, the background isn’t rendered at all, or very well. OK, this is as it is supposed to be but it is also like cheating. Why? Because all the trees and artifacts the combatants hide behind aren’t there! They stand out in the open like ducks in a pond. When you snipe them, the trees and foliage that they are supposed to have been behind, finally “hides” them. But, you already know they are behind the tree, so just shoot it down! And, once you pop a shot near them, they wander into view anyway.
- The scope graticals are blurry and WAY too thick. This is a gaff in the game. FarCry scope latitude and longitude graticals were razor sharp. And, the scope is a single magnification. This isn’t a good sniper game, just acceptable.
- I found that equipping my character with the silencer is a HUGE advantage. Crawl through the grass and head shot everybody on single shot setting with max strength for a steady aim. Not to mention, no one knows where to find you with the shot silenced. Turn it off for more mayhem..from all directions!
- OK, are these guys all wearing body armor? It just seems way too difficult to kill anyone except with a point blank shotgun blast or an assault rifle headshot. And farther away? Try, try, try is all I can say.
- You clip into walls and things way too easily. Trying to crouch or go prone has to be done well away from anything, or you just stand there.
- A rocket won’t take down a fragile helicopter? Get real, man!
- Grenades seem appropriately effective.

All in all if you liked FarCry you’ll love this game, too. Even with DX9c it looks great…even at low settings.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I played the demo. I naturally try to play like Hitman in every game that allows me to. Sneak around everything and rarely shot a bullet.
You can definitely play that way if you choose. I actually prefer that approach and find it necessary at certain points. Sometimes there are 25+ KPC and you have to sneak past them and very close range.

Singleplayer is good. Multiplayer... not so much. As for replay value - I'd say it has pretty decent replay value if you enjoy replaying sinlge player campaigns (multiplayer could have added to replay value, but meh)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
infinite health? no.... your health regenerates yes, but then, even COD2 does that..... and your not wearing a nano suit in that game...

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Took me about 6 1/2 hours, I went through quick, in between large bases just running and totally skipping smaller camps, did most of the secondary objectives.

I'm going to redo it without silencers and try to use less cloak.

Don't forget, sandbox, can make your own maps and it isnt that hard.

Multiplayer is good, but don't expect alot of teamwork (even less so than bf2 imo, but I don't really care about teamwork, I win, don't get in my way.) unless you're in a clan or have friends playing.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
What's the point of making a killer gaming pc if you're not going to game on the most beautiful game ever? Isn't what all hardware gaming enthusiast's dream is to build a great pc that can run great on the best games?

Get the game, I assure you it will be worthwhile.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just got my copy last night after having it on pre-order for weeks with Amazon. Being a huge FarCry fan, naturally I love it so far.

6.5 hours sounds short to me, that is gonna be a disappointment. It would still take me at least than long to get done with FarCry on easy, using all the tricks I've learned in 30+ times of completing the game.

Anyhow, I don't think you should get it since you have has "Crysis Sucks" as your sig. You seem to already have you mind made up....

Did you like FarCry BTW?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I rushed through and slaughtered everything like I was playing quake or UT. (died quite a bit in the process lol) thats why 6.5hrs

itotallybe lieveyou you shouldnt get the game because someone else thinks its good, unless you live in some weird society with a prophet that tells you your DOOM! Then I guess it's ok to be a weirdo from society.

Have you played the demo or the beta?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I'll agree with Stemnin that the Sandbox will bring lots and lots of mods and other levels to play with once you're done with SP Campaign. I've done Crysis twice now and finished them in about 20-24 hours each time but I like to plan my attacks. Until I got to the very end, the ship level (Which I died countless times), I had died only 2 times on normal....and about 5 times on very hard.

Get this game...you won't regret it.

PS: Don't be a hater...Crysis as pushed game publishers to the next level. Thanks Crytek!

Alex

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Well, what did you think of Crysis? I just finished the whole game and it seemed just OK for several reasons. My opinion dropped a lot after the cave episode on the the carrier level. Some comments depend on what you run the game with so;
AMD3800X2
7800GT SLI
2GB RAM
XPSP2
Creative X-fi
1024 x 768 MEDIUM setting except Shadows at LOW and sound at High
FPS 30-70 range using “r_displayinfo 1”
HARD difficulty

First, it didn’t really look as good as FarCry in my eyes, with the same system hardware. OK, I don’t use DX10, just DX9.0c. But, why should a game go BACKWARDS from a previous game using the same type of game engine? It seems it should be at least as good a looking a game at reasonable settings. But it isn’t. I ran Far Cry at “high” at the same resolution, and had better performance and graphical looks. So if you run a modest system, forget about a “super” good-looking game, Just OK. Granted, the physics seem better than far cry, and it isn’t awful looking by any means. I just think it could be better on modest systems. If you never saw FarCry, you’d think different. I’m also not into the too dark to see anything stuff, either, which afflicts this game terribly in too many places. Doom3 was about it for grouping in the dark as far as I’m concerned. I have a have good monitor because I like to SEE things!

The weapons are confused, too. Why would the precision rifle have blurry and thick as tree trunk scope reticules and no zoom at all where the assault weapon has a crisp set of reticules and 4x plus 10X scope zoom? The wrong weapon is a sniper rifle! The scope is two inches from your face, why is it blurry on the precision rifle and not on the assault rifle? OK, the backgrounds can fad into a fog, but the scope foreground?

You can’t go prone, or stand up if you’re near anything at all; you just get stuck and died as you try to stand to run to a better vantage point. That got real old and real fast.

The first half of the game was more fun than the last half, about when you go into the “cave” and go weightless and wander around lost, like that’s “fun”. This is where the writers failed miserably with a good story line. There is no science fiction added to the game to make it “plausible”. Who, what, and where were they from, what were they doing, why were they doing it? In this game, they just “do” with zero explanation(s). They gathered “stuff” from above in the caves, but why? They had a TON of good things to work with. OK, the Koreans tried to gather a new power source for themselves. Great, but the alien side of the story was just not there. Granted, we get the idea the aliens want to destroy the world, or just go after power wherever it may be? Who knows, plenty of sci-fi movies have the creature(s) heading toward the power lines, after all. Were they really at war, or just trying to gather a new power source after their old planet died? I could go on and on, but you get the point. No compelling story line.

The vertical lift and take-off flying machine section was TERRIBLE! The darn thing was so slow and cumbersome, we SHOULD LOSE with jets like this! That and the jet would stop forward motion and just fall out of the air for no apparent reason. Was it the ice dome plowing me down? Why? Where’s the story line? Eventually, I found that you could fly at essentially treetop level and hug the far side of the valley, away from the ice dome (was that it?), and somehow escape to the carrier. It never felt like “I” was doing anything. The less I did the better. Kill things? Forget about it. If it wasn’t a direct objective, just move on ahead. It was just dumb luck to fly through the valley without sliding backwards and falling into the ground with no reason as to why.

The carrier episode felt like I was a kid at Burger King that is trying to get from one side of a crayon drawing maze to the other. Either in the carrier itself or on the deck, I seemed to be wandering around hallways or all the strategically placed fire stops and junk lying all over the deck topside. The “magic” gun? OK, how about some explanation on this thing, it only seemed to work at specific locations in the game. I must have gone over and over this ten times before I figured out EXACTLY where to aim the gun to “lock-on”, and only at specific times does it work. Otherwise, you need to use conventional weapons. What weapon ONLY works aimed at specific targets? It doesn’t even use “ammunition” so much as the power from your suit. So what’s with the strange limitations on the gun?

I think that the developers got tired of this thing and threw it out there after years of hype. OK, it is DX10. So what. The story line makes it have replay character. I’ve played FarCry and Quake 4 several times all the way through. The last half of this game isn’t even worth wading through again, its just too frustrating to deal with the weightless cave maze, the lousy flight characteristics of the jet and the stupid crayon maze carrier level. Me, I’ll play up to the cave entrance, and then quit. In general if you liked FarCry, you’ll love the first half of this game, and probably hate the last half.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hey Rower30,

I'll agree with the lack of effort the a good storyline...especially when your game is being compared to the "Halo Killer"! Also, you did bring a few good points as far as "proning" while being right next to a rock...and then dying as a result, which is quite frustrating when it does happen.

But I have to disagree with the other half part. I found the Zero-gravity part pretty cool and the winter levels two.

The infamous carrier was a bit too much...felt like the good old Contra on the NES big boss type level. haha.

Nevertheless, this game rocks. The visuals are fantastic and overall gameplay is pretty good.

BTW: I played farcry and I like the whole game.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

That's because it is.

it's all hype. I caved in to the hype as well, wish i would've spent my $50 on a better game.

Absolutely not.

Definitely NOT for the single player.

Nope.

Eh, I'd personally only play the first half, so eh, 4 hours give or take.

I wouldn't replay it. Maybe with cheats to have fun with the koreans, but that's about it.

Not really. I was surprised at how quickly you got all of the weapons. By the way, Gauss Rifle pwns.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
A lot of people are pretty new to PC games (anyone under 30) so they don't realize the gaffs that were absent in a lot of early games. Example, MechWarrior II was a landmark game, and still is. Not so the mess of Mech Clones that came after it, all with special effects. Who cared about the plot? You have 20 or so minutes to complete your mission with no health or power-up repairs. Once you lose an arm, it is gone for good. The game is just as fun today as it was then. They actually made the game immersive. Crysis just isn't as intense from a skill standpoint as a lot of early games (I go all the way back to 80MHz systems, and all the games from there)were. Graphics and MHz don't make a game easy or hard, by the way. Ever try to finish FINAL DOOM?

I see the lack of substance all over society right now. We have replaced good writing with shock jock stuff. Problem is, sex in every TV show and "graphical" substance just isn't immersive. It's the story stupid! It will come back as soon as everybody gets sick of the level we're at today.

Wanting to see dead bodies be interactive so we can shoot them on the ground and see blood and guts say it all. We need to mature as an audience. We will, eventually. And, games will spring back just as soon as we do.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Man how I wish this were true. Did you see the movie Idiocracy? Got a bad feeling that Idiocracy was more prophetic than funny.

werepossum

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
Haven't seen Idiocracy, but it sounds like I need to. I've been PC gaming since '85 (anybody remember Rogue? I loved that game!) and I'm amazed how far games have come. I haven't played Crysis yet - my wife picked it up as a Christmas present - but I'm looking forward to it. I loved Far Cry. To me the more realistic the graphics, the better. Or at least the more detailed. Sometimes the advanced tech backfires, like Far Cry when you killed a merc on a hill and the body jerked and slowly slid to the bottom, but mostly I find it simply amazing.

I look at the progress of PC hardware and games and wish other things in my life progressed as well. My first PC had 640 KB RAM (in sixteen separate chips!), two 360 KB floopy drives, no hard drive, and a 12" monitor with sixteen glorious shades of amber. I built it myself for about $1,000. Look at what that buys today. My cars at that time were a 1972 Monte Carlo and a 1970 AMX. Today I could buy a used Mustang that is faster, safer, better handling, and gets the same mileage (WTF?), but marginally on all of those. Imagine if cars had progressed as well as PCs!

Similarly, games have made marvelous gains. Rogue was a game where you were a knight or something - you only appeared as a smiley face - and fought monsters (represented by a single letter, such as 'D' for dragon or 'B' for bat) simply by moving next to them. You found treasure (gold pieces), magic (potions in several colors, wands, and magic weapons) and negotiated mazes formed from IBM characters. Now we have water effects worth staring at and argue about rag-doll physics and weapons authenticity. Even though there are clearly some areas (such as writing and voice acting) which don't always measure up, on balance games are simply amazing. Even Doom 3, at its heart the same corridor crawler as the original Doom with gorgeous graphics, had a bit of story and voice acting.

I think Crysis is worth buying if only to support its next-gen programming. It's the first game ever where all the trees, etc. are actually destructable. Although the setting might now be the most realistic or well developed, at least things are starting to react reasonably realistically when shot or blown up. And that always helps with immersion and suspension of disbelief.

werepossum

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
I forgot something. In late '84 I sold the Monte Carlo and bought a Nissan pickup truck which got 28 mpg. In late 2004 we bought a Ford Ranger which gets 19/23 mpg. The Ranger is slower and cost more than twice as much, although it is admittedly much larger and nicer. Cars are actually going backwards in some ways! Compare that to PCs!