UDF format

September 4, 2004 12:26:58 AM

I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated them as
a data drive.
When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which basically
says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP supports UDF/MRW.
I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there that seemed to fit.
How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE: removable
R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
Thanks
Mel "again"

More about : udf format

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:26:59 AM

shakey wrote:
> I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
> computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated
> them as a data drive.
> When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which
> basically says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP
> supports UDF/MRW. I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there
> that seemed to fit.
> How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE:
> removable R/W data drives on CD or DVD.

Buy a third party app.
What you want is a CD to be like a floppy. XP won't do this..

Windows XP CD-RW writing is not as friendly as some external applications
(Nero, Roxio, etc) and is limited. For example, while you can drag-drop
files and then select to burn the CD or CD-RW.. Once this is done you cannot
ADD to the CD-RW without erasing the whole thing first.

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4800/rh4892.htm

If you want to read up on what you can and cannot do with CD/CD-RWs in XP
(natively) - I suggest here:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
<- Shenan ->
September 4, 2004 12:26:59 AM

InCD is a completely proprietary format. You are basically out of luck. In
the future, I suggest you use an app that uses standard UDF, such as Roxio
EZCD Creator or Nero.

Bobby

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
> computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated them
> as
> a data drive.
> When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which basically
> says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP supports UDF/MRW.
> I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there that seemed to fit.
> How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE: removable
> R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
> Thanks
> Mel "again"

Related resources
September 4, 2004 2:55:54 AM

Read the URL's you referenced and your suggestion seems to be correct.
So far XP is NOT impressing me as it is bulky and much harder to use than
98. So far all the reasons I moved to it have been negated.
Mel
"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> shakey wrote:
> > I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
> > computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated
> > them as a data drive.
> > When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which
> > basically says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP
> > supports UDF/MRW. I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there
> > that seemed to fit.
> > How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE:
> > removable R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
>
> Buy a third party app.
> What you want is a CD to be like a floppy. XP won't do this..
>
> Windows XP CD-RW writing is not as friendly as some external applications
> (Nero, Roxio, etc) and is limited. For example, while you can drag-drop
> files and then select to burn the CD or CD-RW.. Once this is done you
cannot
> ADD to the CD-RW without erasing the whole thing first.
>
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4800/rh4892.htm
>
> If you want to read up on what you can and cannot do with CD/CD-RWs in XP
> (natively) - I suggest here:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

September 4, 2004 6:40:25 AM

True maybe
BUT
INCD allowed my CDRW drive to appear as a drive in windows explorer list and
I could simply drag and drop files to it. SO SIMPLE none of the programs you
mentioned will do that as best as I know.
"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> InCD is a completely proprietary format. You are basically out of luck.
In
> the future, I suggest you use an app that uses standard UDF, such as Roxio
> EZCD Creator or Nero.
>
> Bobby
>
> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> >I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
> > computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated them
> > as
> > a data drive.
> > When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which
basically
> > says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP supports
UDF/MRW.
> > I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there that seemed to fit.
> > How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE:
removable
> > R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
> > Thanks
> > Mel "again"

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 6:40:26 AM

EZCD Creator is even Easier with it's drag and drop icon on the desktop.
Makes InCD look childish by example

> True maybe
> BUT
> INCD allowed my CDRW drive to appear as a drive in windows explorer list
> and
> I could simply drag and drop files to it. SO SIMPLE none of the programs
> you
> mentioned will do that as best as I know.
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>> InCD is a completely proprietary format. You are basically out of luck.
> In
>> the future, I suggest you use an app that uses standard UDF, such as
>> Roxio
>> EZCD Creator or Nero.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> >I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
>> > computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated
>> > them
>> > as
>> > a data drive.
>> > When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which
> basically
>> > says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP supports
> UDF/MRW.
>> > I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there that seemed to fit.
>> > How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE:
> removable
>> > R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
>> > Thanks
>> > Mel "again"

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:00:12 PM

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
> computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated them
> as
> a data drive.
> When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which basically
> says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP supports UDF/MRW.
> I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there that seemed to fit.
> How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE: removable
> R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
> Thanks
> Mel "again"

I'm no expert but I think CD/RW is one of those features that has yet to
find a universal standard - a bit like VCR recorders before BetaMax sank
without trace. You seem to have been using one of the 'losers' and your
disks will be unreadable by every other system.

If you can't install InCD (or know someone with it) then perhaps you can use
a facility like IsoBuster to extract the data from your disks. You may have
to pay for it but I think I saw a free download site somewhere.

In future, if you want to use your CD/RW as a removeable data drive with
drag'n'drop in Explorer etc then I think you have to use Roxio EasyCD. I use
Nero because it's more reliable but it doesn't integrate with Explorer as
EasyCD does. WinXP's own system is a total waste of time.

John
September 4, 2004 3:56:50 PM

Windows XP can read UDF media but NOT MRW. MRW is the Mount Ranier format.
Recent versions of inCD provide a choice of UDF or Mt Ranier, defaulting to
the latter. Mt Ranier is a newer format that will eventually replace UDF.
To use your mrw formatted media in XP, you need to install inCD or another
Mt Ranier capable packet driver. Current versions of inCD work fine with
XP.
--

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>I have CD-RW disks that I previously used as small RW drives on my 98
> computer. They were formated by INCD as UDF data and Win 98 treated them
> as
> a data drive.
> When I put them in my new XP computer I get a text message which basically
> says "system is not supporting cd-mrw format". Surely XP supports UDF/MRW.
> I looked at MS sites but didn't see anything there that seemed to fit.
> How can read these CD's and how can I use XP in this manner IE: removable
> R/W data drives on CD or DVD.
> Thanks
> Mel "again"

September 4, 2004 4:07:24 PM

FYI
inCD a packet driver like Roxio EasyCD included with Nero but a separate
installation item. These two, and Sonic DLA (often bundled with Dells an
HPs) are the 3 most widespread packet drivers. Compatilitly has been a
problem. The UDF standard has been through several revisions and has not
always been implemented consistently by various vendors.

There is a new standard called Mount Ranier. It was created by a consortium
group and will be the future universal standard for packet writing. It's a
much more robust file system than UDF with "on the fly" formatting, better
error management and correction, etc. The CDRW drive must support it, or be
capable of a firmware upgrade adding the support. It will eventually be
supported by Windows natively. Unfortunately, it will be some years before
it is widespread enough to be able to take an RW to any PC like a floppy
(which it will replace).
--

>> Mel "again"
>>

> I'm no expert but I think CD/RW is one of those features that has yet to
> find a universal standard - a bit like VCR recorders before BetaMax sank
> without trace. You seem to have been using one of the 'losers' and your
> disks will be unreadable by every other system.
>
> If you can't install InCD (or know someone with it) then perhaps you can
> use a facility like IsoBuster to extract the data from your disks. You may
> have to pay for it but I think I saw a free download site somewhere.
>
> In future, if you want to use your CD/RW as a removeable data drive with
> drag'n'drop in Explorer etc then I think you have to use Roxio EasyCD. I
> use Nero because it's more reliable but it doesn't integrate with Explorer
> as EasyCD does. WinXP's own system is a total waste of time.
>
> John

September 4, 2004 4:08:44 PM

addendum - Note that even with UDF, Windows can read, but not write to the
RW media, so for full functionality, you always need to install a packet
driver.

--
September 9, 2004 5:01:53 AM

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:epQSHlpkEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> FYI
> inCD a packet driver like Roxio EasyCD included with Nero but a separate
> installation item. These two, and Sonic DLA (often bundled with Dells an
> HPs) are the 3 most widespread packet drivers. Compatilitly has been a
> problem. The UDF standard has been through several revisions and has not
> always been implemented consistently by various vendors.
>
> There is a new standard called Mount Ranier. It was created by a
> consortium group and will be the future universal standard for packet
> writing. It's a much more robust file system than UDF with "on the fly"
> formatting, better error management and correction, etc. The CDRW drive
> must support it, or be capable of a firmware upgrade adding the support.
> It will eventually be supported by Windows natively. Unfortunately, it
> will be some years before it is widespread enough to be able to take an RW
> to any PC like a floppy (which it will replace).
> --
>
>>> Mel "again"
>>>

>> I'm no expert but I think CD/RW is one of those features that has yet to
>> find a universal standard - a bit like VCR recorders before BetaMax sank
>> without trace. You seem to have been using one of the 'losers' and your
>> disks will be unreadable by every other system.
>>
>> If you can't install InCD (or know someone with it) then perhaps you can
>> use a facility like IsoBuster to extract the data from your disks. You
>> may have to pay for it but I think I saw a free download site somewhere.
>>
>> In future, if you want to use your CD/RW as a removeable data drive with
>> drag'n'drop in Explorer etc then I think you have to use Roxio EasyCD. I
>> use Nero because it's more reliable but it doesn't integrate with
>> Explorer as EasyCD does. WinXP's own system is a total waste of time.
>>
>> John

More information. my top of the line Dell that is two weeks old has a cd-rw
and a dvd-rw/cd-rw neither of which are listed by XP as supporting Mt
Ranier.
I have been using Mt Ranier for years.
Mel
!