XP Home/Office 97 install question

I apologize if this has been covered before but I am new to XP. I have a
legitimate CD of office 97 with the activation number. My Win98SE computer
recently crashed and I replaced the hard drive and had XP installed. When
trying to install Office 97 on it (numerous attempts) I have gotten error
msgs. stating the installer is not for this operating system and a couple of
times something about not enough memory. I have a gig of memory but I am
clueless as to whether or not I can install this older version of Office on
XP. It really suits my needs and I hate to have to spend more money for any
new features that I do not need. Any help or guidance on this matter would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob
7 answers Last reply
More about home office install question

    Please visit the Office experts in an appropriate Office newsgroup:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Bob Moyer" wrote:

    | I apologize if this has been covered before but I am new to XP. I have a
    | legitimate CD of office 97 with the activation number. My Win98SE computer
    | recently crashed and I replaced the hard drive and had XP installed. When
    | trying to install Office 97 on it (numerous attempts) I have gotten error
    | msgs. stating the installer is not for this operating system and a couple of
    | times something about not enough memory. I have a gig of memory but I am
    | clueless as to whether or not I can install this older version of Office on
    | XP. It really suits my needs and I hate to have to spend more money for any
    | new features that I do not need. Any help or guidance on this matter would
    | be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    |
    | Bob

    I did post this question there, but no one has answered it. Since I also
    qualify as a windowsxp.newuser, I thought someone might be kind enough to
    help me here. Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong newsgroup.

    Bob

    > Please visit the Office experts in an appropriate Office newsgroup:
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    ---

    > "Bob Moyer" wrote:
    >
    > | I apologize if this has been covered before but I am new to XP. I have
    > | legitimate CD of office 97 with the activation number. My Win98SE
    computer
    > | recently crashed and I replaced the hard drive and had XP installed.
    When
    > | trying to install Office 97 on it (numerous attempts) I have gotten
    error
    > | msgs. stating the installer is not for this operating system and a
    couple of
    > | times something about not enough memory. I have a gig of memory but I
    am
    > | clueless as to whether or not I can install this older version of Office
    on
    > | XP. It really suits my needs and I hate to have to spend more money for
    any
    > | new features that I do not need. Any help or guidance on this matter
    would
    > | be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    > |
    > | Bob

    Bob, don't know why you are having problems with Office 97. It is totally
    compatible with XP Home and Pro versions as I use it on all my office
    computers and on my home desktop. It has installed on upgraded 98-XP,
    upgraded ME-XP, upgraded 2000 to XP Pro, fresh install XP Home and Pro
    systems with no problem.

    I have even installed Office 97, Office XP and Office 2003 on the same
    computer and have had absolutely no problem with poor interaction between
    the different versions of the programs. The only thing I have to be careful
    of is when I create a PPT file in 2003, it doesn't always show properly on a
    Office 97 system.

    That said, I really can't help you fix your problem but maybe someone will
    be able to assist you.

    "Bob Moyer" <bob.moyer@dol.net> wrote in message
    > I did post this question there, but no one has answered it. Since I also
    > qualify as a windowsxp.newuser, I thought someone might be kind enough to
    > help me here. Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong newsgroup.
    >
    > Bob

    > > Please visit the Office experts in an appropriate Office newsgroup:
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >
    > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > ---
    > >
    > > "Bob Moyer" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I apologize if this has been covered before but I am new to XP. I
    have
    > > | legitimate CD of office 97 with the activation number. My Win98SE
    > computer
    > > | recently crashed and I replaced the hard drive and had XP installed.
    > When
    > > | trying to install Office 97 on it (numerous attempts) I have gotten
    > error
    > > | msgs. stating the installer is not for this operating system and a
    > couple of
    > > | times something about not enough memory. I have a gig of memory but I
    > am
    > > | clueless as to whether or not I can install this older version of
    Office
    > on
    > > | XP. It really suits my needs and I hate to have to spend more money
    for
    > any
    > > | new features that I do not need. Any help or guidance on this matter
    > would
    > > | be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    > > |
    > > | Bob

    Thank you very much for your reply. Perhaps my disk is scratched or
    otherwise unreadable by my new system. At least you gave me some idea where
    to look to solve it and not some cryptic redirection to another group.
    Thanks again.

    Bob

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Bob, don't know why you are having problems with Office 97. It is totally
    > compatible with XP Home and Pro versions as I use it on all my office
    > computers and on my home desktop. It has installed on upgraded 98-XP,
    > upgraded ME-XP, upgraded 2000 to XP Pro, fresh install XP Home and Pro
    > systems with no problem.
    >
    > I have even installed Office 97, Office XP and Office 2003 on the same
    > computer and have had absolutely no problem with poor interaction between
    > the different versions of the programs. The only thing I have to be
    careful
    > of is when I create a PPT file in 2003, it doesn't always show properly on
    > Office 97 system.
    >
    > That said, I really can't help you fix your problem but maybe someone will
    > be able to assist you.
    >
    > "Bob Moyer" <bob.moyer@dol.net> wrote in message
    > > I did post this question there, but no one has answered it. Since I
    also
    > > qualify as a windowsxp.newuser, I thought someone might be kind enough
    > > help me here. Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong newsgroup.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Please visit the Office experts in an appropriate Office newsgroup:
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Carey Frisch
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > >
    > > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > > ---

    > have
    > > computer
    > > When
    > > error
    > > couple of
    > > am
    > Office
    > > on
    > for
    > > any
    > > would

    There was a problem with the database program "Access" so I just didn't
    install Access. I use Excel and Word with no problems, but I do not use
    Outlook for my home machine.

    As I recall from the last restore, about a year ago, I did get an error
    message until I selected only the programs I wanted to install.

    --
    Joe

    =====================================
    ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

    =====================================

    "Bob Moyer" <bob.moyer@dol.net> wrote in message
    >I did post this question there, but no one has answered it. Since I also
    > qualify as a windowsxp.newuser, I thought someone might be kind enough to
    > help me here. Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong newsgroup.
    >
    > Bob

    >> Please visit the Office experts in an appropriate Office newsgroup:
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > ---
    >>
    >> "Bob Moyer" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I apologize if this has been covered before but I am new to XP. I have
    >> | legitimate CD of office 97 with the activation number. My Win98SE
    > computer
    >> | recently crashed and I replaced the hard drive and had XP installed.
    > When
    >> | trying to install Office 97 on it (numerous attempts) I have gotten
    > error
    >> | msgs. stating the installer is not for this operating system and a
    > couple of
    >> | times something about not enough memory. I have a gig of memory but I
    > am
    >> | clueless as to whether or not I can install this older version of
    >> Office
    > on
    >> | XP. It really suits my needs and I hate to have to spend more money
    >> for
    > any
    >> | new features that I do not need. Any help or guidance on this matter
    > would
    >> | be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >> |
    >> | Bob

    Bob Moyer wrote:
    Sorry to say I am not a techie so cannot offer any help whatsoever except to
    tell you that I run Office 97 at work on my XP Pro OS. No problems. So it
    can be done, just have no idea why yours won't :) but hopefully some guru
    will be able to help.

    Joe, just for your info, the problem with Access most reported was a problem
    with a license failure. The fix was posted on MS KB. It involved renaming
    a True Type font, installing the program and then naming the TTF back to the
    original name. Not sure since I can't find the original KB URL in my
    collection of URLs but I think the font name was Hatten.ttf.

Office Windows XP