Hardware or software?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

I have an intermittent problem with repeated key sequences and with my
keyboard going completely dead. I am sure it is not a stuck key because
it is a sequence of keys and restarting Windows always fixes the
problem.

One of the key sequences that repeated was alt-g, v, u, return. Another
time it was S, control-end, return. I have tried three different
keyboards and it happened with all of them. Sometimes it will happen
just a few hours after I boot up and sometimes I can go several days
without it happening.

Usually the key sequence will repeat four or five times and then the
keyboard will stop working completely. Sometimes the sequence will keep
repeating until I manage to restart Windows with the mouse or the reset
button. Once the keyboard just went dead without any repeated key
sequences that I noticed.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to stop
it? How can I tell if this is a Windows XP problem or a problem with
the keyboard controller on my motherboard? Is there any chance that
switching to a USB keyboard would solve the problem?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I wonder who is sillier, my cat who takes laundry basket rides
around the house or me who trained him to take laundry basket

    There isn't a controller on the motherboard for your keyboard. There is an
    interface [or socket], thus the answer to your first question is that perhaps
    there is an issue with the PS/2 connector. These generally have a number of
    diodes / tranistors between the socket connector and the Mobo which can
    breakdown and cause erratic behaviour. Given that you have the same issue
    with many keyboards this could be your problem. You should also check in
    Control Panel - Keyboard that you have the correct type and region setting.

    Failing the setting being wrong, you may find that a USB keyboard will make
    the problem disappear - if you can borrow one fisrt and try it out before
    buying one.

    "Daniel Prince" wrote:

    > I have an intermittent problem with repeated key sequences and with my
    > keyboard going completely dead. I am sure it is not a stuck key because
    > it is a sequence of keys and restarting Windows always fixes the
    > problem.
    >
    > One of the key sequences that repeated was alt-g, v, u, return. Another
    > time it was S, control-end, return. I have tried three different
    > keyboards and it happened with all of them. Sometimes it will happen
    > just a few hours after I boot up and sometimes I can go several days
    > without it happening.
    >
    > Usually the key sequence will repeat four or five times and then the
    > keyboard will stop working completely. Sometimes the sequence will keep
    > repeating until I manage to restart Windows with the mouse or the reset
    > button. Once the keyboard just went dead without any repeated key
    > sequences that I noticed.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to stop
    > it? How can I tell if this is a Windows XP problem or a problem with
    > the keyboard controller on my motherboard? Is there any chance that
    > switching to a USB keyboard would solve the problem?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for all replies.
    > --
    > I wonder who is sillier, my cat who takes laundry basket rides
    > around the house or me who trained him to take laundry basket
    > rides.

Hardware Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP