PC games that SHOULD have been ported to console

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Freelancer is a game I've always been sorry that I missed and I was ecstatic to find it on a bargain rack about two weeks ago.

And I'm happy I did; I've put all of my other gaming projects on hold and logged quite a few fun hours. I like finding older gems.

While I was playing it a thought came to me: Why wasn't this game ever ported to a console? Freelancer is a very satisfying PC experience but seems perefctly suited to the console world.

The graphics are still great today, but didn't even need a top notch GPU to look good in the early 2000s. The controls are not overly complex; you could comfortably play all aspects of this game easily with a gamepad.

I'm no tech expert but I don't see any obvious technological barriers for a PS2 or an Xbox. This game could possibly have been a sensation if someone had managed to release it for either platform.

So that got me thinking: What other PC-only games should have been ported to consoles?

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
out of the like 2 PC-exclusives that exist? Crysis should be definitely ported with even if they have to make it slightly less impressive graphics. Counter Strike: Source. Nothing else really.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Oh darling! its simply terrible, oh the pain! the pain! (melodrama).

:lol:

The original farcry should have been, in original form as much as possible, not the farcry instincts rubbish. um...Warcraft 3 & frozen throne might have been quite nice, on xbox live.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Hmmm... Warcraft 3 on Xbox. Interesting.

After playing some more Freelancer I'm beginning to think that this game would be a console sensation if it were released even today (6 years after it's PC release).

All you'd really have to do is update some of the textures. IMO It would instantly rank as one of the greatest console games you could buy.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I vaguely remember freelancer.. was it like tachyon: the fringe?

I can't really think of any pc games that would go to consoles, as I pretty much only play FPS and RTS's, which imo are better on pc. Even games like Final Fantasy type RPGs, with the blue menus, they practically belong on Windows!

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Why would you do that to a perfectly good PC game? Is it not enough that publishers and developers inflict crappy console ports on us? Must we give away that which is truly OURS to the enemy?

Whoa - sorry, got carried away there for a moment. How about Diablo II? The original Diablo got ported to the PS1, but I don't think DII left the PC/Mac world.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Yeah, Diablo. The first place I played Diablo was on PS1. Why the hell didn't they port Diablo 2? Was Blizzard tired of counting it's money?

@Stemnin - I never played Tachyon; I imagine they might be similar. What makes Freelancer so portable is are two things:

1) great graphics engine that can generate beautiful visuals and fast fps on less that powerful hardare.

2) controversial control scheme that eliminated joystick support and went with a mouse-driven control scheme. While rightfully pissing off hardcore space simmers it would be perfect for a gamepad.

San

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2001

Final Fantasy franchise > everything else. nuff said

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
**** that, phantasy star (the old ones, not the new ones with PSO (lol just noticed POS rearranged)) and chrono trigger/cross!

I got a few emulators and roms from the old days I play on my PC hooked up to my TV, great fun, although playing N64 games is weird because the controller is so different (goldeneye is a PITA to control, better on n64), but Killer Instinct I/gold are awesome.

I also first time I played diablo was on the ps1, I think soon after that I started playing starcraft, those were the days.. Starcraft should never have gone to console, it sucked, I played it on n64, it struggled, still though a good try. C&C on the 64 ran good I think, can't remember.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Tachyon : The Fringe is a space game, you're like a mercenary or something, similar to playing the old mechwarrior games, make money and buy cool stuff.

Voiced by Bruce Campbell, your character (Evil Dead).

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Crysis should be ported to the consoles. That way the developers can take advantage of the "next-gen" graphics and "7 core" processors so they can get 60+ FPS at Ultra settings. That way, us poor PC gamers can finally see Crysis graphics the way they were supposed to look! :pt1cable: