Little

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

work gave me a windows xp cdrom to load on to my laptop. it came in a sealed
envelope, with a specific barcode. however, when i try and install it i'm
asked for a product key - which isn't the barcode number. what can i do?

Hi

You'll have to get the 25 alpanumeric Product Key from whoever gave you the
XP CD - someone at work in your case - if it isn't on the envelope.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"little" <little@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> work gave me a windows xp cdrom to load on to my laptop. it came in a
> sealed
> envelope, with a specific barcode. however, when i try and install it i'm
> asked for a product key - which isn't the barcode number. what can i do?

Little

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

thanks for the reply; this is what i thought might be the answer, but before
i took the disk i asked and was told 'there was some way around it, if it
happens just contact the microsoft helpdesk' . clearly insane.

will get on to it on monday

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You'll have to get the 25 alpanumeric Product Key from whoever gave you the
> XP CD - someone at work in your case - if it isn't on the envelope.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "little" <little@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > work gave me a windows xp cdrom to load on to my laptop. it came in a
> > sealed
> > envelope, with a specific barcode. however, when i try and install it i'm
> > asked for a product key - which isn't the barcode number. what can i do?

Hi

There's no way round entering the Product Key. The installation needs that
to proceed.

--

> thanks for the reply; this is what i thought might be the answer, but
> before
> i took the disk i asked and was told 'there was some way around it, if it
> happens just contact the microsoft helpdesk' . clearly insane.
>
> will get on to it on monday
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You'll have to get the 25 alpanumeric Product Key from whoever gave you
>> the
>> XP CD - someone at work in your case - if it isn't on the envelope.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "little" <little@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > work gave me a windows xp cdrom to load on to my laptop. it came in a
>> > sealed
>> > envelope, with a specific barcode. however, when i try and install it
>> > i'm
>> > asked for a product key - which isn't the barcode number. what can i
>> > do?

You can also try looking for the tag with the Product Code on the pc it was
installed on. When XP is installed there are instructions on the box to
remove the tag and adhere it to the pc case for future install reference.

Steve D.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> There's no way round entering the Product Key. The installation needs that
> to proceed.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "little" <little@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks for the reply; this is what i thought might be the answer, but
> > before
> > i took the disk i asked and was told 'there was some way around it, if it
> > happens just contact the microsoft helpdesk' . clearly insane.
> >
> > will get on to it on monday
> >

> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> You'll have to get the 25 alpanumeric Product Key from whoever gave you
> >> the
> >> XP CD - someone at work in your case - if it isn't on the envelope.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "little" <little@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You need the Product as was already stated.

But did the laptop come with windows XP?
And is this the CD that came with that laptop?
If so, the Product Key may be on a sticker affixed to the laptop,
normally the bottom.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/