Counter Strike Source Questions

cheney212

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
OK I'm thinking about a laptop that is decent enough to run cs source because i want one for Christmas but one that isn't 2 expensive so could somebody help???

cheney212

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
not exactly but i want a laptop not over the top expensive but good enough to run some game that i like to play online such as cs, cs source, half life 2 death match, day of defeat, star wars battlefront, star wars republic commando, guild wars, but good you give me some ideas of some decent laptops to run those games

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

WoW graphics are around 2003 level though... Source games are generally much more complex.

I have an Acer laptop with craptastic integrated graphics chip and it plays MMOGs like Guild Wars and older FPS games like Call of Duty 1 with no problems, but it can't handle any Source game I tried with a decent frame rate. I ran 3DMark on it and the performance is around Geforce 4 levels, though it does support DX9 shaders unlike the GF4.

I stick to my desktop system for newer games and only play old ones on the laptop.

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Thank you for the support fire! I needed to get the enemy's heads down before I move across the street. As I said before laptops weren't made for gaming most of them are even made for being on 24/7. Most of the gaming laptops usually end up being heavy and basically a desktop

Get dedicated GPU. I have a x1400 256mb dedicated video on my laptop that I bought 18mo. ago and it plays CSS,Wow,Crysis (not on the greatest settings) pretty well. It's not the best situation, but can possibly be done on $750+ laptop. You'd be better off making your own desktop for $450 than getting a $750+ laptop, as far as performance goes.

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Dell has a sale on its Vostro Laptops right now.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bqdwkxr&s=bsd
Thats the URL to the configurator for a Vostro with XP, you can get one with Vista for the same price. They run $699 for one with a 1.4 GHZ C2D, 2GB RAM and an 8600M GT (256MB version) (you have to go to the Video Card tab and upgrade it). The 8600MGT is a decent mobile gaming card. I would upgrade the processor either later by yourself or when you buy. I would just grab a faster chip from dell. I suggest getting at least a 1.8 GHZ C2D, but the 2GHZ is only $30 more than the 1.8. It'll run you $860 after that but its easily the cheapest you'll get a computer with an 8600MGT.
The base config has an 8400M which is a dedicated card, but I am not very confident in its gaming abilities.