Missing programs after upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro

I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro but none of my settings/program
installs and links migrated.
I can see all my data files and program objects but all of the shortcuts,
cookies, favorites, etc. are no longer accessible.

Is there some way of recovering without having to restore back to before the
upgrade?

I used Ghost 9.0 to backup my system before the upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go through the time to
restore and reinstall again.
3 answers Last reply
More about missing programs upgrade home

    Acutally, I did go through the update process and I said yes to downloading
    the latest updates.
    Can I assume from your reply, however, that there is no way to apply this
    upgrade without losing all my settings and shortcuts?

    If I do restore and redo the upgrade, is there anyway I can force the
    upgrade to retain my settings, shortcuts, and registry entries?

    "spider" wrote:

    > I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro but none of my settings/program
    > installs and links migrated.
    > I can see all my data files and program objects but all of the shortcuts,
    > cookies, favorites, etc. are no longer accessible.
    >
    > Is there some way of recovering without having to restore back to before the
    > upgrade?
    >
    > I used Ghost 9.0 to backup my system before the upgrade.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go through the time to
    > restore and reinstall again.

    Hi,

    Sounds like you chose "new installation" rather than upgrade. There is no
    uninstall option even if you had upgraded. Have you tried copying from the
    old user folders to your new ones? Programs will still need to be
    reinstalled, but you should be able to recover access to files and settings.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "spider" <spider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro but none of my settings/program
    > installs and links migrated.
    > I can see all my data files and program objects but all of the shortcuts,
    > cookies, favorites, etc. are no longer accessible.
    >
    > Is there some way of recovering without having to restore back to before
    > the
    > upgrade?
    >
    > I used Ghost 9.0 to backup my system before the upgrade.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go through the time to
    > restore and reinstall again.

    Hi,

    An upgrade should retain existing user profiles and accounts, including the
    settings and shortcuts. I'm not sure how you did it, but what you ended up
    wiht previously sounds like a new install, not an upgrade. If you have a
    good backup image, then go ahead and restore it and try again.

    --

    > Acutally, I did go through the update process and I said yes to
    > downloading
    > the latest updates.
    > Can I assume from your reply, however, that there is no way to apply this
    > upgrade without losing all my settings and shortcuts?
    >
    > If I do restore and redo the upgrade, is there anyway I can force the
    > upgrade to retain my settings, shortcuts, and registry entries?
    >
    > "spider" wrote:
    >
    >> I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro but none of my settings/program
    >> installs and links migrated.
    >> I can see all my data files and program objects but all of the shortcuts,
    >> cookies, favorites, etc. are no longer accessible.
    >>
    >> Is there some way of recovering without having to restore back to before
    >> the
    >> upgrade?
    >>
    >> I used Ghost 9.0 to backup my system before the upgrade.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go through the time to
    >> restore and reinstall again.

Microsoft Windows XP