wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I've been surfing through hardware specs and tests of the latest new chipsets and soon and so forth, quoting RDRAM is dead , 845PE is better Sis 648 (not sure bout this one)...

Yet every benchmark i see gives the rdram pc1066 the highest performance, now and then some other ram solution wins DDR 333/400 but still, rdram is the best performer why is there s much talk about this.

I want to buy a new system but it won't be this year caus i have to spend my time studying instead of tweaking and fiddling with computers

JUST HAD TO GET THIS OUT OF MY SYSTEM

PS: yes i know double channel DDR but its not available eh

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
DDR is more economical. More people have DDR chipsets than RDRAM, so if you have a problem with a motherboard with a DDR chipset more help is available than with RDRAM chipset motherboard. If you buy DDR memory with an Intel processor, a CPU brand switch, Intel to AMD, is much easier and less expensive. Intel 845PE is both stable and very good performance. Granite bay on the horizon. NVidia has the right idea, focusing purely on AMD as intel needs far less help from other chipset manufacturers to push their processors out into the market.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
i totally agree on the part that it's more economic but switching beween CPU intel amd also asks for a new mobo...
the thing is that performance wise rdram is unbeatable (for now)

i want to buy a new system and i've been looking at a lot of stuf, mainly intel 845 PE and 850E chipsets the new Nforce 2 gives me a new option that pushes the 845 out of the race as far as i'm concerned (you don't put a ferrari engine in a volkswagen, thats what putting a 533mhz FSB processor in a mobo that only supports 333mhz is to me) but the Nforce 2 is just the opposite here we have dual ddr 400 support for an effective memory bandwith of 6,4 GB when the now fastest amd option available is 333Mhz FSB

my thoughts are that when i buy a RDRAM system with PIV 2.8 it'll perform about equally good or slihghtly less as a 2800+ and Nforce 2 with ddr but the plain fact is that by the time the 2800+ is there intel 'll have a 3.33 3.6 or whatever lined up and i havn't seen any amd answers to that so i think that as far as upgrading on processor in a fast system i think i'd have to choose the RDRAM

I don't know though currently there's a lot moving in the ram scene

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Speed = money. Simple as that. You want RD1066 ram? You go buy it.

<b>LHGPooBaa + Evil Hamster Sidekick: Serving Toms Hardware community for 2 years as of the 11th of November</b>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
exactamundo but after all , i dont know about the US but when i configure a system using prices from the cheapest stores here in belgium a RDRAM system and a DDR system with quality cas2 XMS ... will cost the same give or take 100€

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You've seen Dual Channel DDR on the nForce/nForce2, where the CPU bus is the bottleneck. Look for Dual Channel DDR to show much better results on the P4, a chip that actually has the CPU bus to go with it. And if you don't like it, there's still RDRAM. As for the SiS 648, it normally comes on "economy" boards because SiS is silly enough to charge so little for it. As such, the only good board I can think of with it is the Gigabyte GA-8SG667. And it's always a few percent behind the RDRAM based GA-8IGXP.

The first Dual Channel SiS 655 chipset board was scheduled for release next week, but might be delayed as SiS had to make room to increase 648 production.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
yes you're right dual channel ddr would be an answer to the PIV but it's not available yet, an Nforce variant for the pentium woould really set some new highs i think

johnnorth

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
Will dual DDR boards still use the same DDR memory we have now? If this is the case would it not be wise to buy a DDR based solution with two identical sticks of memory in. Then when new boards hit market you can buy new board and gain performance boost. Dual DDR will probably kill Rambus, unless Rambus prices fall dramatically.

Shoot me, I work for PC World!!!!

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
it would be very wise and yes look at the Nforce 2 thats dual DDR, but rambus has pc1200 ... lined up plus they plan to make dual rdram or dual dual or whatever i'd wish someone made up his mind about the standards

as i already said a rdram system now has the best chance of being upgraded ie. 2800+ is the farthest i know and this is indeed with nforce 2 the performer but in 6 months i can pop in a 3.6 PIV and with RDRAM that combo ll beat the 2800+ unless hammer ....

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"Dual DDR will probably kill Rambus, unless Rambus prices fall dramatically."

Indeed. But as long as Dell uses RDRAM, it still has life. Dell Dimension desktops keep a performance edge over similar pre-built desktops that use DDR SDRAM because of RDRAM.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
why wouldn't it have life its the fastest (highest bandwith) there is at the moment Nforce would count but theres a bottleneck at the CPU, and as long as its the fastest people will buy it guys like me looking for he highest performance :p

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
You all would trip out at the bench results I got on a DDR rig I recently put together using the GA-8PE667U. If you're interested in seeing them, PM me.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
i agree that PE is (was) the next best thing in memory bandwidth for the PIV but even with ddr 3500 in that board you still won't get to 4,2 GB memory bandwidth the new iwill mobo 'll apparently also provide 4,2 GB memory bandwith using dual channel ddr