No booting anymore

Haljon

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
Hello all,

I have an old computer that I was working on last week. Its a PIII 733. I was installing a new HD in it when it died. I was having issues with the new HD where I could copy the OS files to it but when it booted off the HD, the OS would not install. Well, I changed a jumper setting on this HD and when I turned on the PC again, nothing. I mean nothing. No fans, no lights, just dead. The computer does not even post. I looked at these boards and cleared the CMOS, by removing the battery and changing a jumper. Now, then I turn the computer, The case fans come in as well as the graphic card fans. However, the computer sill does not post, I dont hear the HD spin and I cant open the CD rom. I have tried different power supplies with no success. Could the motherboard be dead? or even the cpu?

Thanks all

Haljon

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
No, I did not remove anything except the old HD to put the new HD in.

I saw a post today where 1 person told another to remove the CMOS battery for 24 hours. Is this sny different then removing the battery and changing the jumpers to clers the CMOS?

marty10g

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I would do a test with a new Power Supply, may be the PSU has spit the dummy

INTELigence is gained by obtaining aMD

Haljon

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
I have tried a different power supply and got the same results. Fans came on and nothing else.

I did boot with the new hard drive, but when I took the HD out to change the jumper settings, thats when it died. I put the jumper setting back and still noting. It was not till I reset the coms till I could get the fans going. But it will not post now at all. Could the cmos still be messed up, or is the motherboard dead?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DID YOU TRY SEEING IF IT WOULD POST WITH THE HARD DRIVE CABLES DISCONNECTED?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Could be a grounding issue - metal to metal contact between the bottom of the motherboard and the side of the case. Try assembling the computer WITHOUT the case.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>