Norton Ghost 2003???

September 5, 2004 1:49:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
C:\

I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck

My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32

E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives

How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.

Thanks

More about : norton ghost 2003

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 1:49:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

My Ghost 2003 made me an IBM DOS boot floppy that allows me
to clone one drive to another without starting XP. That's all I use
Ghost for anyway. I make system backup clones. See it at
http://www.photoprojects.net/index10a.html
Gene

Kamal wrote:

> I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
> gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
> not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
> C:\
>
> I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
> ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
>
> My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
>
> E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
>
> How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 1:49:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Apparently you do not know that Norton Ghost is not a utility provided by
Windows XP. Norton Ghost is a product sold by a company called Symantec --
it is not sold by a company called Microsoft.

For problems with Norton Ghost, feel free to visit a Norton Ghost support
newsgroup or Symantec technical support.

steve

"Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
> gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I
could
> not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with
> C:\
>
> I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
> ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
>
> My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
>
> E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
>
> How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
>
> Thanks

September 5, 2004 1:49:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec question (Ghost is not a
Microsoft product) should have been in ...
symantec.customerservice.general

You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a disk-to-disk clone, disk to
image, etc. You don't state what drives "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are
they partitions ? Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
platform.

This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but, you have to be able to
help yourself first for someone else to help you.

Dave
{ shaking his head in disbelief }

"Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
| gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
| not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
| C:\
|
| I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
| ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
|
| My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
|
| E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
|
| How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
|
| Thanks

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 1:49:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

GHOST 2003 can be run in rwo modes: (1) started from within XP, (2) from a
DOS boot floppy (two disks in 2003).

In the first mode, you "request" what you want done at the windows XP level,
then on a good day, GHOST witll reboot, transfer control to a special hidden
partition, then run in DOS mode, then re-hide that partition, then restart
windows.

However, if something goes wrong during this complex process, the PC will be
left unusable. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this is so common a problem
with GHOST 2003 that Symantec, the makers of GHOST, offer a free download to
fix things. Go to their support website and look for it.

After you get things working right, make a the floppy disk set and in the
future use it to do all GHOST work, except for GHOST Explorer, which can be
run safely from the windows level. I have used the floppy method for years
with GHOST 2000 thorugh 2003, and all were 100% reliable. (By the way, if
you get motivated, it is possible to make a bootable CD from the GHOST
floppy set, but it does take some patience and some 3rd party CD-writing
software.)

"Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
> gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I
> could
> not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with
> C:\
>
> I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
> ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
>
> My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
>
> E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
>
> How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
>
> Thanks

September 5, 2004 1:49:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I was looking up some Symantec software usage for a project and search for
your problem. This is the closest thing I found.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/20...
56c2200662ecd&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
September 5, 2004 2:29:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Norton Ghost 2003 works just fine with Windows XP. I've created and
restored images with it from cdr's, cdrw's and hard drives. Were you
creating an image or cloning one disk to the other? If you were imaging
then there is no reason that Ghost would screw up any drive it was sending
an image to. Now if you were cloning you may have picked the wrong disk.

"Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
C:\

I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck

My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32

E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives

How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.

Thanks
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 1:00:39 PM

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:49:19 +0100, "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com>
wrote :

>I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
>gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
>not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
>C:\
>
>I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
>ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
>
>My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
>
>E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
>
>How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
>
>Thanks

Ghost would not have changed any of your disks or partitions if you
were just backing up not restoring. You shouldn't fiddle with the XP
boot files at all: make sure they are set back to original config..

Sounds as if the autoexec used by Ghost or else the data in the
Virtual Partition created by Ghost is still active, as the backup
aborted. If so, it will always boot into the win98 screen (PC or
MSDOS) until removed.

I assume you removed the Ghost boot floppy or CD before rebooting?
If not, do so, and you will boot up in XP.

If you did take out the boot floppy or CD, I am not sure how to stop
the PCDOS booting. I suggest you read the handbook to see if it
covers the situation - normally I would say visit the Symantec web
site, but if you can't boot to XP that's a no-brainer.

Good luck.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be mistaken,
I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a question that is more
challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.

GJP

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
news:o ihBvQtkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
> question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
> symantec.customerservice.general
>
> You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
> disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what drives
> "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they partitions ?
> Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
> platform.
>
> This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but,
> you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else to help
> you.
>
> Dave
> { shaking his head in disbelief }
>

> "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost.
>| It gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a
>| reboot I could not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows
>| 98 boot screen with a C:\
>|
>| I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried
>| copying ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
>|
>| My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
>|
>| E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
>|
>| How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
>|
>| Thanks

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:24:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You are right: this is a "WinXP newuser" group -- the OP has a problem with
Norton Ghost, which is neither Win XP nor a Microsoft product.

steve

<GJP> wrote in message news:Xns955BBA37D72B8GJP@216.168.3.44...

> Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be mistaken,
> I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a question that is
more
> challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.
>
> GJP
>

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
> news:o ihBvQtkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>
> > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
> > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
> > symantec.customerservice.general
> >
> > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
> > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what drives
> > "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they partitions ?
> > Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
> > platform.
> >
> > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but,
> > you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else to help
> > you.
> >
> > Dave
> > { shaking his head in disbelief }
> >

> > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >| I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost.
> >| It gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a
> >| reboot I could not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows
> >| 98 boot screen with a C:\
> >|
> >| I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried
> >| copying ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
> >|
> >| My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
> >|
> >| E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
> >|
> >| How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
> >|
> >| Thanks

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:24:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.
I figured out on how to do a partition backup(s) using ghost and a
windows 98se boot disk. It works like a charm. (Yes, you can also
back it up to a cd-r if your cd drive is bootable).

I use this command like for ghost. Pardon the caps

A:\GHOST\GHOST -FDSP -NTIL -SPAN -CRCIGNORE -FRO -Z9

>On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:11:07 -0700, "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You are right: this is a "WinXP newuser" group -- the OP has a problem with
>Norton Ghost, which is neither Win XP nor a Microsoft product.
>
>steve
>

><GJP> wrote in message news:Xns955BBA37D72B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
>>
>> Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be mistaken,
>> I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a question that is
>more
>> challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.
>>
>> GJP
>>

>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>> news:o ihBvQtkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>>
>> > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
>> > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
>> > symantec.customerservice.general
>> >
>> > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
>> > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what drives
>> > "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they partitions ?
>> > Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
>> > platform.
>> >
>> > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but,
>> > you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else to help
>> > you.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> > { shaking his head in disbelief }
>> >

>> > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Greg R

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 5:55:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Oh come on...he was using Ghost on a computer running WinXP....where
does one start...believe it is a Ghost problem first or ask a question
here where a number of willing WinXP experts will answer your question
and provide direction. At least one can expect to sort out wether it's
Ghost or WinXp that is the problem....but without insulting remarks
about the quality of the question, which BTW most replies found easy
enough to do.
NewUser could be "new" to computing not just new to WinXP...heck I find
things happening in WinXP that just make me shake my head...like the way
you remove programs from startup ...why the heck did MS decide that
using Msconfig (like in Win98)was too simple and make removing a program
from startup a PITA.

GJP

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in

> You are right: this is a "WinXP newuser" group -- the OP has a
> problem with Norton Ghost, which is neither Win XP nor a Microsoft
> product.
>
> steve
>

><GJP> wrote in message news:Xns955BBA37D72B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
>>
>> Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be
>> mistaken, I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a
>> question that is
> more
>> challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.
>>
>> GJP
>>

>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>> news:o ihBvQtkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:
>>
>> > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
>> > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
>> > symantec.customerservice.general
>> >
>> > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
>> > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what
>> > drives "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they
>> > partitions ? Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any
>> > information on the platform.
>> >
>> > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you
>> > but, you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else
>> > to help you.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> > { shaking his head in disbelief }
>> >

>> > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message

September 6, 2004 5:55:14 PM

GJP <GJP> wrote:

> Oh come on...he was using Ghost on a computer running WinXP....where
> does one start...believe it is a Ghost problem first or ask a question
> here where a number of willing WinXP experts will answer your question
> and provide direction. At least one can expect to sort out wether it's
> Ghost or WinXp that is the problem....but without insulting remarks
> about the quality of the question, which BTW most replies found easy
> enough to do.
> NewUser could be "new" to computing not just new to WinXP...heck I
> find things happening in WinXP that just make me shake my head...like
> the way you remove programs from startup ...why the heck did MS decide
> that using Msconfig (like in Win98)was too simple and make removing a
> program from startup a PITA.

As an aside, msconfig is available in XP and removing items from Startup
is quite easy. Go to Start>Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
> However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
> 2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.

Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to
Ghost, so they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future
and switch all their backup sales to Drive Image.
September 7, 2004 5:09:08 PM

Al Smith wrote:

>> I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
>> However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
>> 2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.
>

> Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
> they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
> their backup sales to Drive Image.

Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
track record of killing off products they buy.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:13:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
The bought nortons ghost.

Someone in the xp general group told me that.

>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:09:08 -0700, Rock <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:

>Al Smith wrote:
>
>>> I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
>>> However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
>>> 2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.
>>

>> Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
>> they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
>> their backup sales to Drive Image.
>
>Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
>version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
>that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
>track record of killing off products they buy.

Greg R

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
September 7, 2004 10:29:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:13:27 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
wrote:

Symantec purchased Ghost from a company in Germany not Peter Norton
Computing. What they did was purchase Peter Norton Computing from
Peter Norton around 10 years ago and have been using his name ever
since. The purchase from Peter Norton included Norton Utilities,
Norton Backup, and several other programs. The most important aspect
of the purchase was the use and endorsement by Peter Norton himself.

>Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
>The bought nortons ghost.
>
>Someone in the xp general group told me that.

>>> Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
>>> they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
>>> their backup sales to Drive Image.
>>
>>Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
>>version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
>>that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
>>track record of killing off products they buy.
>
>Greg R
>

>http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
September 8, 2004 2:31:10 AM

Greg R wrote:

> Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
> The bought nortons ghost.
>
> Someone in the xp general group told me that.

>>>Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
>>>they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
>>>their backup sales to Drive Image.
>>
>>Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
>>version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
>>that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
>>track record of killing off products they buy.
>

> Greg R
>

> http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/

And before, I think when it was still Norton, they gobbled up and killed
Central Point Software even after exclaiming loudly after the purchase
that the products would continue.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
> The bought nortons ghost.
>
> Someone in the xp general group told me that.

This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
are like Microsoft.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Symantec *IS* the parent company of Norton. Has been for years. They
recently bought PowerQuest, so now Drive Image 7 and Drive Image 2002 are
being marketed under the Symantec name. Peter Norton is the original owner
of Norton, the Corporation. Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
to Symantec.

Bobby

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
>> Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
>> The bought nortons ghost. Someone in the xp general group told me that.
>
> This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They are like
> some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its endlessly
> multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes within their reach
> and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they are like Microsoft.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:42:28 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
<mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

Snip,

>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
>inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
>to Symantec.
>
>Bobby

Look

http://www.symantec.com/corporate/

June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition

Greg R

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

And your point is? The link you posted only verified my post...

Bobby

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:42:28 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
> <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>
> Snip,
>
>>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
>>inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
>>to Symantec.
>>
>>Bobby
>
> Look
>
> http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
>
> June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
>

> Greg R
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I think you need to look up the definition of Acquisition.

This was not there product to began with.

Greg R

>And your point is? The link you posted only verified my post...
>
>Bobby
>

>> Snip,
>>
>>>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
>>>to Symantec.

>> Look
>>
>> http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
>>
>> June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
>>

>> Greg R
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:38:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I never said it was. I said that they acquired it when Peter Norton sold it
to them.

Get some help for the drug problem...you'll thank yourself later.

>I think you need to look up the definition of Acquisition.
>
> This was not there product to began with.
>
> Greg R
>

>>And your point is? The link you posted only verified my post...
>>
>>Bobby
>>

>>> Snip,

>>> Look
>>>
>>> http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
>>>
>>> June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
>>>

>>> Greg R

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 4:33:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Right, Ghost has not been a norton product since it's inception. Ghost
was originally written by a small independent software company from New
Zealand, Binary Research Limited, in 1998, and it was sold and became
prominent on it's own, well before being acquired by Symantec.

Second, Symantec (Gordon Eubanks company) bought Peter Norton computing
a very, very long time ago -- I think in the late 1980's, or, if not, in
the early 1990's. For all practical purposes, it's absurd to refer to
"Norton" and "Symantec" as if they were separate companies.

Greg R wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:42:28 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
> <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
>
> Snip,
>

>>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
>>inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
>>to Symantec.
>>
>>Bobby
>

> Look
>
> http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
>
> June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
>

> Greg R
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
September 8, 2004 5:00:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
tutorials lead you to believe.

"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
> > Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
> > The bought nortons ghost.
> >
> > Someone in the xp general group told me that.
>
> This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
> are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
> endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
> within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
> are like Microsoft.
September 8, 2004 5:00:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.

Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
info on Ghost. Not having much success.

1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?

I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.

Lou

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
wrote:

>I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
>DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
>garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
>excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
>tutorials lead you to believe.
>

>"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
>> > Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
>> > The bought nortons ghost.
>> >
>> > Someone in the xp general group told me that.
>>
>> This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
>> are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
>> endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
>> within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
>> are like Microsoft.

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:00:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

DriveImage 7 has the ability to image the system disk (the C: drive in
most cases) while windows is running, from Windows, without starting up
MS-DOS (actually DR-DOS). But, to get this, it's a radically different
program. However, I can't agree with your "piece of garbage"
characterization.

HOWEVER, Drive Image 7 CAME WITH the previous version (as a
full-product, entirely separate CD-ROM) at no extra cost. So you really
can't complain.

Personally, I think that Drive Image -- both versions -- are better than
Ghost, and I expect that Ghost will disappear, but that DI will be able
to read Ghost backups.

Jerry wrote:

> I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
> DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
> garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
> excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
> tutorials lead you to believe.
>

> "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
>>>The bought nortons ghost.
>>>
>>>Someone in the xp general group told me that.
>>
>>This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
>>are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
>>endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
>>within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
>>are like Microsoft.

September 8, 2004 5:00:45 AM

Jerry wrote:

> I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
> DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
> garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
> excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
> tutorials lead you to believe.
>

> "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
>>>The bought nortons ghost.
>>>
>>>Someone in the xp general group told me that.
>>
>>This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
>>are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
>>endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
>>within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
>>are like Microsoft.

Drive Image 7 works great.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:00:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

It's more likely that Drive Image will replace Ghost than that Ghost
will replace Drive Image. Otherwise, why would Symantec have paid
millions to acquire PowerQuest, which only has 2 products.

Lou wrote:

> I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
>
> Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
> I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
> info on Ghost. Not having much success.
>
> 1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
>
> I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
> does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
> supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
> I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
>
> Lou
>
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
>>DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
>>garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
>>excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
>>tutorials lead you to believe.
>>

>>"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message

>>>This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
>>>are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
>>>endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
>>>within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
>>>are like Microsoft.

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:00:46 AM

"Lou" <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote in message
> I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
>
> Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
> I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
> info on Ghost. Not having much success.
>
> 1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
>
> I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
> does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
> supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
> I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
>
> Lou
>
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
>>DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
>>garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
>>excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
>>tutorials lead you to believe.
>>

>>"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message

>>> This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
>>> are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
>>> endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
>>> within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
>>> are like Microsoft.

September 8, 2004 5:00:47 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:

> It's more likely that Drive Image will replace Ghost than that Ghost
> will replace Drive Image. Otherwise, why would Symantec have paid
> millions to acquire PowerQuest, which only has 2 products.
>

> Lou wrote:
>
>> I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
>>
>> Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
>> I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
>> info on Ghost. Not having much success.
>>
>> 1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
>>
>> I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
>> does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
>> supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
>> I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
>>
>> Lou
>>
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image.
>>> Pre-XP
>>> DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
>>> garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
>>> excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
>>> tutorials lead you to believe.
>>>

>>> "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message

For the technology and to kill a competitor, but not to replace Ghost,
IMO.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:07:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
> DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
> garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
> excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
> tutorials lead you to believe.

I don't know why you say this. I like Drive Image 7, mostly. The
file browser is a step backward from the old file browser. In the
old one, you could just drag a file from the compressed backup set
to a folder on the hard drive -- any folder or any hard drive --
and it would be uncompressed and copied out. The new browser
doesn't seem to show the complete file tree for the computer, only
the file tree of the backup set. As I say, a step backward. But
the backup function itself works very nicely, and I like being
able to mirror my C drive without leaving Windows XP.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:58:36 PM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0700, Lou <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote
:

>I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
>
>Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
>I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
>info on Ghost. Not having much success.
>
>1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?

Yes.
http://www.symantec.com/

>I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
>does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
>supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
>I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.

I don't know about earlier versions of Ghost, but I am successfully
using Ghost 2003 to backup images to network drives. I assume later
versions of Ghost will do it too. I use XP Pro.

There is a slight complication with Ghost 2003- the network drive that
you want to backup to has to be mapped on the computer being backed
up, but that's pretty easy to do, so it just appears as another
lettered drive on the computer being backed up.
I use Y and Z for the two partitions I alternately backup to.

I can read the images from the network using Ghost Explorer and easily
and quickly restore individual files if needed rather than the whole
image. That's a real pain to do using multidisc DVD or CD images.

I do find backup not fully reliable via my WiFi (11M) - sometimes it
has failed part way through the image. So when I want to do a backup
I plug in the wired ethernet link (100M) and have never had problems
with that.

You can create a networked boot floppy - if you have a floppy drive.
I had to buy a USB external one as my laptop didn't have one, just in
case I ever need it, but it's a bit belt and braces as you can also
create bootable DVD or CD images from Ghost. I keep a bootable DVD
image backup handy, that I can use to get the system back up, then I
can restore from the latest network image over the network.

So the floppy is really redundant but it came with a multi card
reader/writer covering the three cards I use (CF, SD and SM) so I
figured it was worth it.....
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Peter,
I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
a dos boot disk.

Side Note for nonobaddog.-I don’t appreciate your comment. You need
to read your post again.

>>>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's inception, and became Symantec property
>>>when Peter Norton sold his company to Symantec.

>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:58:36 +1000, Peter Wilkins <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0700, Lou <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote
>:
>
>>I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
>>
>>Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
>>I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
>>info on Ghost. Not having much success.
>>
>>1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
>
>Yes.
>http://www.symantec.com/
>>
>>I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
>>does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
>>supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
>>I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
>>
>I don't know about earlier versions of Ghost, but I am successfully
>using Ghost 2003 to backup images to network drives. I assume later
>versions of Ghost will do it too. I use XP Pro.
>
>There is a slight complication with Ghost 2003- the network drive that
>you want to backup to has to be mapped on the computer being backed
>up, but that's pretty easy to do, so it just appears as another
>lettered drive on the computer being backed up.
>I use Y and Z for the two partitions I alternately backup to.
>
>I can read the images from the network using Ghost Explorer and easily
>and quickly restore individual files if needed rather than the whole
>image. That's a real pain to do using multidisc DVD or CD images.
>
>I do find backup not fully reliable via my WiFi (11M) - sometimes it
>has failed part way through the image. So when I want to do a backup
>I plug in the wired ethernet link (100M) and have never had problems
>with that.
>
>You can create a networked boot floppy - if you have a floppy drive.
>I had to buy a USB external one as my laptop didn't have one, just in
>case I ever need it, but it's a bit belt and braces as you can also
>create bootable DVD or CD images from Ghost. I keep a bootable DVD
>image backup handy, that I can use to get the system back up, then I
>can restore from the latest network image over the network.
>
>So the floppy is really redundant but it came with a multi card
>reader/writer covering the three cards I use (CF, SD and SM) so I
>figured it was worth it.....
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 11:58:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Side note to Greg R.

Not man enough to admit you are wrong...that 's okay. Some people are like
that.

Ghost was written by Peter Norton. It has always been a Norton product.
It became the property of Symantec when Peter Norton sold his company to
Symantec.

Simple.

If you don't get it...oh well.

Otherwise, STFU.

> Peter,
> I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
> it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
> a dos boot disk.
>

> Side Note for nonobaddog.-I don't appreciate your comment. You need
> to read your post again.

>>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:58:36 +1000, Peter Wilkins
>><wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0700, Lou <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote
>>:
>>
>>>I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
>>>
>>>Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
>>>I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
>>>info on Ghost. Not having much success.
>>>
>>>1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
>>
>>Yes.
>>http://www.symantec.com/
>>>
>>>I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
>>>does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
>>>supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
>>>I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
>>>
>>I don't know about earlier versions of Ghost, but I am successfully
>>using Ghost 2003 to backup images to network drives. I assume later
>>versions of Ghost will do it too. I use XP Pro.
>>
>>There is a slight complication with Ghost 2003- the network drive that
>>you want to backup to has to be mapped on the computer being backed
>>up, but that's pretty easy to do, so it just appears as another
>>lettered drive on the computer being backed up.
>>I use Y and Z for the two partitions I alternately backup to.
>>
>>I can read the images from the network using Ghost Explorer and easily
>>and quickly restore individual files if needed rather than the whole
>>image. That's a real pain to do using multidisc DVD or CD images.
>>
>>I do find backup not fully reliable via my WiFi (11M) - sometimes it
>>has failed part way through the image. So when I want to do a backup
>>I plug in the wired ethernet link (100M) and have never had problems
>>with that.
>>
>>You can create a networked boot floppy - if you have a floppy drive.
>>I had to buy a USB external one as my laptop didn't have one, just in
>>case I ever need it, but it's a bit belt and braces as you can also
>>create bootable DVD or CD images from Ghost. I keep a bootable DVD
>>image backup handy, that I can use to get the system back up, then I
>>can restore from the latest network image over the network.
>>
>>So the floppy is really redundant but it came with a multi card
>>reader/writer covering the three cards I use (CF, SD and SM) so I
>>figured it was worth it.....

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:01:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:53:05 -0400, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote :

>Personally, I think that Drive Image -- both versions -- are better than
>Ghost, and I expect that Ghost will disappear, but that DI will be able
>to read Ghost backups.

I'm told that Acronis True Image 8 is better than both of them, but I
haven't tried it myself.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:31:58 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
wrote :

>Peter,
>I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
>it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
>a dos boot disk.

Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
floppy!

I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
who knows?
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
however).

wrote :

>Peter,
>I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
>it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
>a dos boot disk.

Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
floppy!

I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
who knows?
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:49:21 AM

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:49:20 +0200, "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> wrote:

>Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
>floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
>however).

That what I said.

I think it may be the last or the only version of ghost that does
this.

Greg R
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:33:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:49:20 +0200, "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> wrote :

>Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
>floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
>however).

Yes I know, I'm using it now. I said I had not used earlier versions
with NTFS, because I was using FAT then.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Greg R wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:49:20 +0200, "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> wrote:
>

>>Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
>>floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
>>however).
>

> That what I said.
>
> I think it may be the last or the only version of ghost that does
> this.
>
> Greg R
1.I know Ghost 7 can restore an NTFS partition.
2.Image files can be created onto CDs..........
3.The restore CD #1 can be bootable.......
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:58:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

you must set the command line to make a image sector by sector...
"Pivert" <pivert@be.me> escreveu na mensagem
> Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
> floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
> however).
>
> "Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> a écrit dans le message
> de
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:31:58 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
> wrote :
>
>>Peter,
>>I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
>>it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
>>a dos boot disk.
>>
> Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
> successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
> I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
> Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
> Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
> floppy!
>
> I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
> so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
> some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
> with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
> up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
> who knows?
> --
> Regards,
> Peter Wilkins

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 11:41:20 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:58:57 -0300, "Alessandro" <asartor@iscc.com.br>
wrote:

>you must set the command line to make a image sector by sector...

No need to do that. I use ghost 2003.
If you used image sector by sector you would need over 50 cds.

Greg R

!