Norton Ghost 2003???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
C:\

I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck

My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32

E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives

How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.

Thanks
43 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost 2003
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    My Ghost 2003 made me an IBM DOS boot floppy that allows me
    to clone one drive to another without starting XP. That's all I use
    Ghost for anyway. I make system backup clones. See it at
    http://www.photoprojects.net/index10a.html
    Gene

    Kamal wrote:

    > I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
    > gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
    > not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
    > C:\
    >
    > I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
    > ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    >
    > My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    >
    > E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    >
    > How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    >
    > Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Apparently you do not know that Norton Ghost is not a utility provided by
    Windows XP. Norton Ghost is a product sold by a company called Symantec --
    it is not sold by a company called Microsoft.

    For problems with Norton Ghost, feel free to visit a Norton Ghost support
    newsgroup or Symantec technical support.

    steve

    "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
    > gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I
    could
    > not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with
    > C:\
    >
    > I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
    > ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    >
    > My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    >
    > E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    >
    > How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec question (Ghost is not a
    Microsoft product) should have been in ...
    symantec.customerservice.general

    You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a disk-to-disk clone, disk to
    image, etc. You don't state what drives "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are
    they partitions ? Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
    platform.

    This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but, you have to be able to
    help yourself first for someone else to help you.

    Dave
    { shaking his head in disbelief }

    "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
    | gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
    | not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
    | C:\
    |
    | I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
    | ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    |
    | My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    |
    | E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    |
    | How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    |
    | Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    GHOST 2003 can be run in rwo modes: (1) started from within XP, (2) from a
    DOS boot floppy (two disks in 2003).

    In the first mode, you "request" what you want done at the windows XP level,
    then on a good day, GHOST witll reboot, transfer control to a special hidden
    partition, then run in DOS mode, then re-hide that partition, then restart
    windows.

    However, if something goes wrong during this complex process, the PC will be
    left unusable. Fortunately (or unfortunately) this is so common a problem
    with GHOST 2003 that Symantec, the makers of GHOST, offer a free download to
    fix things. Go to their support website and look for it.

    After you get things working right, make a the floppy disk set and in the
    future use it to do all GHOST work, except for GHOST Explorer, which can be
    run safely from the windows level. I have used the floppy method for years
    with GHOST 2000 thorugh 2003, and all were 100% reliable. (By the way, if
    you get motivated, it is possible to make a bootable CD from the GHOST
    floppy set, but it does take some patience and some 3rd party CD-writing
    software.)

    "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
    > gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I
    > could
    > not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with
    > C:\
    >
    > I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
    > ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    >
    > My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    >
    > E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    >
    > How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I was looking up some Symantec software usage for a project and search for
    your problem. This is the closest thing I found.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002110115000025?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002092510522725&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=8f7dc138830563c8882
    56c2200662ecd&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Norton Ghost 2003 works just fine with Windows XP. I've created and
    restored images with it from cdr's, cdrw's and hard drives. Were you
    creating an image or cloning one disk to the other? If you were imaging
    then there is no reason that Ghost would screw up any drive it was sending
    an image to. Now if you were cloning you may have picked the wrong disk.

    "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
    gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
    not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
    C:\

    I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
    ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck

    My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32

    E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives

    How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.

    Thanks
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:49:19 +0100, "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com>
    wrote :

    >I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost. It
    >gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a reboot I could
    >not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows 98 boot screen with a
    >C:\
    >
    >I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried copying
    >ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    >
    >My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    >
    >E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    >
    >How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    >
    >Thanks

    Ghost would not have changed any of your disks or partitions if you
    were just backing up not restoring. You shouldn't fiddle with the XP
    boot files at all: make sure they are set back to original config..

    Sounds as if the autoexec used by Ghost or else the data in the
    Virtual Partition created by Ghost is still active, as the backup
    aborted. If so, it will always boot into the win98 screen (PC or
    MSDOS) until removed.

    I assume you removed the Ghost boot floppy or CD before rebooting?
    If not, do so, and you will boot up in XP.

    If you did take out the boot floppy or CD, I am not sure how to stop
    the PCDOS booting. I suggest you read the handbook to see if it
    covers the situation - normally I would say visit the Symantec web
    site, but if you can't boot to XP that's a no-brainer.

    Good luck.
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be mistaken,
    I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a question that is more
    challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.

    GJP

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

    > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
    > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
    > symantec.customerservice.general
    >
    > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
    > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what drives
    > "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they partitions ?
    > Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
    > platform.
    >
    > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but,
    > you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else to help
    > you.
    >
    > Dave
    > { shaking his head in disbelief }
    >

    > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >| I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost.
    >| It gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a
    >| reboot I could not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows
    >| 98 boot screen with a C:\
    >|
    >| I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried
    >| copying ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    >|
    >| My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    >|
    >| E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    >|
    >| How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    >|
    >| Thanks

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You are right: this is a "WinXP newuser" group -- the OP has a problem with
    Norton Ghost, which is neither Win XP nor a Microsoft product.

    steve

    <GJP> wrote in message news:Xns955BBA37D72B8GJP@216.168.3.44...

    > Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be mistaken,
    > I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a question that is
    more
    > challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.
    >
    > GJP
    >

    > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
    >
    > > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
    > > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
    > > symantec.customerservice.general
    > >
    > > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
    > > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what drives
    > > "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they partitions ?
    > > Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
    > > platform.
    > >
    > > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but,
    > > you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else to help
    > > you.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > > { shaking his head in disbelief }
    > >

    > > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >| I tried to make a backup of the D:\ on to the G:\ using Norton Ghost.
    > >| It gave me an error and was unable to finish the backup. After a
    > >| reboot I could not boot windows XP. And now all I get is the windows
    > >| 98 boot screen with a C:\
    > >|
    > >| I loaded recovery console and it said windows is on E:\. i tried
    > >| copying ntldr and ntdetect to c:\ but still no luck
    > >|
    > >| My Original C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is NTFS and G:\ is fat32
    > >|
    > >| E:\ and F:\ were my cd-rom drives
    > >|
    > >| How can I change E:\ back to C:\ and get windows up and running.
    > >|
    > >| Thanks

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
    However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
    2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.
    I figured out on how to do a partition backup(s) using ghost and a
    windows 98se boot disk. It works like a charm. (Yes, you can also
    back it up to a cd-r if your cd drive is bootable).

    I use this command like for ghost. Pardon the caps

    A:\GHOST\GHOST -FDSP -NTIL -SPAN -CRCIGNORE -FRO -Z9

    >On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:11:07 -0700, "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >You are right: this is a "WinXP newuser" group -- the OP has a problem with
    >Norton Ghost, which is neither Win XP nor a Microsoft product.
    >
    >steve
    >

    ><GJP> wrote in message news:Xns955BBA37D72B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
    >>
    >> Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be mistaken,
    >> I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a question that is
    >more
    >> challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.
    >>
    >> GJP
    >>

    >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
    >> > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
    >> > symantec.customerservice.general
    >> >
    >> > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
    >> > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what drives
    >> > "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they partitions ?
    >> > Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any information on the
    >> > platform.
    >> >
    >> > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you but,
    >> > you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else to help
    >> > you.
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> > { shaking his head in disbelief }
    >> >

    >> > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Greg R

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Oh come on...he was using Ghost on a computer running WinXP....where
    does one start...believe it is a Ghost problem first or ask a question
    here where a number of willing WinXP experts will answer your question
    and provide direction. At least one can expect to sort out wether it's
    Ghost or WinXp that is the problem....but without insulting remarks
    about the quality of the question, which BTW most replies found easy
    enough to do.
    NewUser could be "new" to computing not just new to WinXP...heck I find
    things happening in WinXP that just make me shake my head...like the way
    you remove programs from startup ...why the heck did MS decide that
    using Msconfig (like in Win98)was too simple and make removing a program
    from startup a PITA.

    GJP

    "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > You are right: this is a "WinXP newuser" group -- the OP has a
    > problem with Norton Ghost, which is neither Win XP nor a Microsoft
    > product.
    >
    > steve
    >

    ><GJP> wrote in message news:Xns955BBA37D72B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
    >>
    >> Gee and and I thought this was a "WinXP newuser" group...must be
    >> mistaken, I hope Kamal relizes the error of his ways and post a
    >> question that is
    > more
    >> challenging to the likes of David H.Lpman etal.
    >>
    >> GJP
    >>

    >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > All those News Groups and the REAL News Group to post this Symantec
    >> > question (Ghost is not a Microsoft product) should have been in ...
    >> > symantec.customerservice.general
    >> >
    >> > You don't provide any facts. You don't explain if you did a
    >> > disk-to-disk clone, disk to image, etc. You don't state what
    >> > drives "D:" and "G:" are. All those other drives, are they
    >> > partitions ? Physical drives ? What ? Nor do you provide any
    >> > information on the platform.
    >> >
    >> > This is a ridiculously BAD post. I like to be able to help you
    >> > but, you have to be able to help yourself first for someone else
    >> > to help you.
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> > { shaking his head in disbelief }
    >> >

    >> > "Kamal" <whateverkamal@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    GJP <GJP> wrote:

    > Oh come on...he was using Ghost on a computer running WinXP....where
    > does one start...believe it is a Ghost problem first or ask a question
    > here where a number of willing WinXP experts will answer your question
    > and provide direction. At least one can expect to sort out wether it's
    > Ghost or WinXp that is the problem....but without insulting remarks
    > about the quality of the question, which BTW most replies found easy
    > enough to do.
    > NewUser could be "new" to computing not just new to WinXP...heck I
    > find things happening in WinXP that just make me shake my head...like
    > the way you remove programs from startup ...why the heck did MS decide
    > that using Msconfig (like in Win98)was too simple and make removing a
    > program from startup a PITA.

    As an aside, msconfig is available in XP and removing items from Startup
    is quite easy. Go to Start>Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    > I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
    > However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
    > 2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.

    Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to
    Ghost, so they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future
    and switch all their backup sales to Drive Image.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Al Smith wrote:

    >> I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
    >> However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
    >> 2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.
    >

    > Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
    > they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
    > their backup sales to Drive Image.

    Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
    version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
    that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
    track record of killing off products they buy.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    The bought nortons ghost.

    Someone in the xp general group told me that.

    >On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:09:08 -0700, Rock <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:

    >Al Smith wrote:
    >
    >>> I don’t mind answering non-Microsoft products if I know the answer.
    >>> However Symantec has terrible support advice. They told me ghost
    >>> 2003 was to be used only for cloning drives not backing up- how dumb.
    >>

    >> Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
    >> they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
    >> their backup sales to Drive Image.
    >
    >Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
    >version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
    >that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
    >track record of killing off products they buy.

    Greg R

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:13:27 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    Symantec purchased Ghost from a company in Germany not Peter Norton
    Computing. What they did was purchase Peter Norton Computing from
    Peter Norton around 10 years ago and have been using his name ever
    since. The purchase from Peter Norton included Norton Utilities,
    Norton Backup, and several other programs. The most important aspect
    of the purchase was the use and endorsement by Peter Norton himself.

    >Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    >The bought nortons ghost.
    >
    >Someone in the xp general group told me that.

    >>> Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
    >>> they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
    >>> their backup sales to Drive Image.
    >>
    >>Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
    >>version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
    >>that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
    >>track record of killing off products they buy.
    >
    >Greg R
    >

    >http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greg R wrote:

    > Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    > The bought nortons ghost.
    >
    > Someone in the xp general group told me that.

    >>>Symantic recently purchased Drive Image, a superior product to Ghost, so
    >>>they may intend to reduce the role of Ghost in future and switch all
    >>>their backup sales to Drive Image.
    >>
    >>Actually they have incorporated Drive Image technology into the new
    >>version of Ghost. It now requires the .Net Framework. I would guess
    >>that, if a product is going away it will be Drive Image. Symantec has a
    >>track record of killing off products they buy.
    >

    > Greg R
    >

    > http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/

    And before, I think when it was still Norton, they gobbled up and killed
    Central Point Software even after exclaiming loudly after the purchase
    that the products would continue.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    > The bought nortons ghost.
    >
    > Someone in the xp general group told me that.

    This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
    are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
    endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
    within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
    are like Microsoft.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Symantec *IS* the parent company of Norton. Has been for years. They
    recently bought PowerQuest, so now Drive Image 7 and Drive Image 2002 are
    being marketed under the Symantec name. Peter Norton is the original owner
    of Norton, the Corporation. Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
    inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
    to Symantec.

    Bobby

    "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >> Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    >> The bought nortons ghost. Someone in the xp general group told me that.
    >
    > This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They are like
    > some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its endlessly
    > multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes within their reach
    > and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they are like Microsoft.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:42:28 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

    Snip,

    >Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
    >inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
    >to Symantec.
    >
    >Bobby

    Look

    http://www.symantec.com/corporate/

    June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition

    Greg R

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    And your point is? The link you posted only verified my post...

    Bobby

    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:42:28 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    > <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
    >
    > Snip,
    >
    >>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
    >>inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
    >>to Symantec.
    >>
    >>Bobby
    >
    > Look
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
    >
    > June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
    >

    > Greg R
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I think you need to look up the definition of Acquisition.

    This was not there product to began with.

    Greg R

    >And your point is? The link you posted only verified my post...
    >
    >Bobby
    >

    >> Snip,
    >>
    >>>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
    >>>to Symantec.

    >> Look
    >>
    >> http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
    >>
    >> June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
    >>

    >> Greg R
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I never said it was. I said that they acquired it when Peter Norton sold it
    to them.

    Get some help for the drug problem...you'll thank yourself later.

    >I think you need to look up the definition of Acquisition.
    >
    > This was not there product to began with.
    >
    > Greg R
    >

    >>And your point is? The link you posted only verified my post...
    >>
    >>Bobby
    >>

    >>> Snip,

    >>> Look
    >>>
    >>> http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
    >>>
    >>> June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
    >>>

    >>> Greg R

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Right, Ghost has not been a norton product since it's inception. Ghost
    was originally written by a small independent software company from New
    Zealand, Binary Research Limited, in 1998, and it was sold and became
    prominent on it's own, well before being acquired by Symantec.

    Second, Symantec (Gordon Eubanks company) bought Peter Norton computing
    a very, very long time ago -- I think in the late 1980's, or, if not, in
    the early 1990's. For all practical purposes, it's absurd to refer to
    "Norton" and "Symantec" as if they were separate companies.

    Greg R wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:42:28 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    > <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:
    >
    > Snip,
    >

    >>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's
    >>inception, and became Symantec property when Peter Norton sold his company
    >>to Symantec.
    >>
    >>Bobby
    >

    > Look
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/corporate/
    >
    > June 1998 Binary Research Limited (Ghost) Acquisition
    >

    > Greg R
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
    DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    tutorials lead you to believe.

    "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    > > Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    > > The bought nortons ghost.
    > >
    > > Someone in the xp general group told me that.
    >
    > This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
    > are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
    > endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
    > within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
    > are like Microsoft.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.

    Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
    I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
    info on Ghost. Not having much success.

    1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?

    I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
    does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
    supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
    I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.

    Lou

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
    >DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    >garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    >excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    >tutorials lead you to believe.
    >

    >"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >> > Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    >> > The bought nortons ghost.
    >> >
    >> > Someone in the xp general group told me that.
    >>
    >> This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
    >> are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
    >> endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
    >> within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
    >> are like Microsoft.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    DriveImage 7 has the ability to image the system disk (the C: drive in
    most cases) while windows is running, from Windows, without starting up
    MS-DOS (actually DR-DOS). But, to get this, it's a radically different
    program. However, I can't agree with your "piece of garbage"
    characterization.

    HOWEVER, Drive Image 7 CAME WITH the previous version (as a
    full-product, entirely separate CD-ROM) at no extra cost. So you really
    can't complain.

    Personally, I think that Drive Image -- both versions -- are better than
    Ghost, and I expect that Ghost will disappear, but that DI will be able
    to read Ghost backups.

    Jerry wrote:

    > I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
    > DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    > garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    > excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    > tutorials lead you to believe.
    >

    > "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    >>>The bought nortons ghost.
    >>>
    >>>Someone in the xp general group told me that.
    >>
    >>This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
    >>are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
    >>endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
    >>within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
    >>are like Microsoft.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jerry wrote:

    > I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
    > DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    > garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    > excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    > tutorials lead you to believe.
    >

    > "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Symantec Ghost was not made by symantec.
    >>>The bought nortons ghost.
    >>>
    >>>Someone in the xp general group told me that.
    >>
    >>This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
    >>are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
    >>endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
    >>within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
    >>are like Microsoft.

    Drive Image 7 works great.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It's more likely that Drive Image will replace Ghost than that Ghost
    will replace Drive Image. Otherwise, why would Symantec have paid
    millions to acquire PowerQuest, which only has 2 products.

    Lou wrote:

    > I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
    >
    > Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
    > I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
    > info on Ghost. Not having much success.
    >
    > 1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
    >
    > I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
    > does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
    > supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
    > I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
    >
    > Lou
    >
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
    >>DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    >>garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    >>excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    >>tutorials lead you to believe.
    >>

    >>"Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message

    >>>This is correct. Symantic bought both Ghost and Drive Image. They
    >>>are like some great, gelatinous monster from beyond the stars, its
    >>>endlessly multiplying tentacles grabbing up everything that comes
    >>>within their reach and consuming it. Come to think of it ... they
    >>>are like Microsoft.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Bobby

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > It's more likely that Drive Image will replace Ghost than that Ghost
    > will replace Drive Image. Otherwise, why would Symantec have paid
    > millions to acquire PowerQuest, which only has 2 products.
    >

    > Lou wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
    >>
    >> Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
    >> I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
    >> info on Ghost. Not having much success.
    >>
    >> 1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
    >>
    >> I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
    >> does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
    >> supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
    >> I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
    >>
    >> Lou
    >>
    >> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 GMT, "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image.
    >>> Pre-XP
    >>> DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    >>> garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    >>> excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    >>> tutorials lead you to believe.
    >>>

    >>> "Al Smith" <invalid@address.com> wrote in message

    For the technology and to kill a competitor, but not to replace Ghost,
    IMO.
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > I certainly hope Symantec does not replace ghost with Drive Image. Pre-XP
    > DriveImage 2002 was very good. Post XP, and Drive Image 7 is a piece of
    > garbage. Ghost 2003 (which comes in Symantec's Systemworks 2004) is
    > excellent once you learn to use it. There is a lot more to it than the
    > tutorials lead you to believe.

    I don't know why you say this. I like Drive Image 7, mostly. The
    file browser is a step backward from the old file browser. In the
    old one, you could just drag a file from the compressed backup set
    to a folder on the hard drive -- any folder or any hard drive --
    and it would be uncompressed and copied out. The new browser
    doesn't seem to show the complete file tree for the computer, only
    the file tree of the backup set. As I say, a step backward. But
    the backup function itself works very nicely, and I like being
    able to mirror my C drive without leaving Windows XP.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0700, Lou <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote
    :

    >I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
    >
    >Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
    >I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
    >info on Ghost. Not having much success.
    >
    >1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?

    Yes.
    http://www.symantec.com/

    >I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
    >does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
    >supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
    >I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.

    I don't know about earlier versions of Ghost, but I am successfully
    using Ghost 2003 to backup images to network drives. I assume later
    versions of Ghost will do it too. I use XP Pro.

    There is a slight complication with Ghost 2003- the network drive that
    you want to backup to has to be mapped on the computer being backed
    up, but that's pretty easy to do, so it just appears as another
    lettered drive on the computer being backed up.
    I use Y and Z for the two partitions I alternately backup to.

    I can read the images from the network using Ghost Explorer and easily
    and quickly restore individual files if needed rather than the whole
    image. That's a real pain to do using multidisc DVD or CD images.

    I do find backup not fully reliable via my WiFi (11M) - sometimes it
    has failed part way through the image. So when I want to do a backup
    I plug in the wired ethernet link (100M) and have never had problems
    with that.

    You can create a networked boot floppy - if you have a floppy drive.
    I had to buy a USB external one as my laptop didn't have one, just in
    case I ever need it, but it's a bit belt and braces as you can also
    create bootable DVD or CD images from Ghost. I keep a bootable DVD
    image backup handy, that I can use to get the system back up, then I
    can restore from the latest network image over the network.

    So the floppy is really redundant but it came with a multi card
    reader/writer covering the three cards I use (CF, SD and SM) so I
    figured it was worth it.....
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    Peter,
    I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
    it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
    a dos boot disk.

    Side Note for nonobaddog.-I don’t appreciate your comment. You need
    to read your post again.

    >>>Ghost has been a Norton product since it's inception, and became Symantec property
    >>>when Peter Norton sold his company to Symantec.

    >On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:58:36 +1000, Peter Wilkins <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0700, Lou <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote
    >:
    >
    >>I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
    >>
    >>Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
    >>I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
    >>info on Ghost. Not having much success.
    >>
    >>1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
    >
    >Yes.
    >http://www.symantec.com/
    >>
    >>I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
    >>does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
    >>supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
    >>I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
    >>
    >I don't know about earlier versions of Ghost, but I am successfully
    >using Ghost 2003 to backup images to network drives. I assume later
    >versions of Ghost will do it too. I use XP Pro.
    >
    >There is a slight complication with Ghost 2003- the network drive that
    >you want to backup to has to be mapped on the computer being backed
    >up, but that's pretty easy to do, so it just appears as another
    >lettered drive on the computer being backed up.
    >I use Y and Z for the two partitions I alternately backup to.
    >
    >I can read the images from the network using Ghost Explorer and easily
    >and quickly restore individual files if needed rather than the whole
    >image. That's a real pain to do using multidisc DVD or CD images.
    >
    >I do find backup not fully reliable via my WiFi (11M) - sometimes it
    >has failed part way through the image. So when I want to do a backup
    >I plug in the wired ethernet link (100M) and have never had problems
    >with that.
    >
    >You can create a networked boot floppy - if you have a floppy drive.
    >I had to buy a USB external one as my laptop didn't have one, just in
    >case I ever need it, but it's a bit belt and braces as you can also
    >create bootable DVD or CD images from Ghost. I keep a bootable DVD
    >image backup handy, that I can use to get the system back up, then I
    >can restore from the latest network image over the network.
    >
    >So the floppy is really redundant but it came with a multi card
    >reader/writer covering the three cards I use (CF, SD and SM) so I
    >figured it was worth it.....
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Side note to Greg R.

    Not man enough to admit you are wrong...that 's okay. Some people are like
    that.

    Ghost was written by Peter Norton. It has always been a Norton product.
    It became the property of Symantec when Peter Norton sold his company to
    Symantec.

    Simple.

    If you don't get it...oh well.

    Otherwise, STFU.

    > Peter,
    > I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
    > it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
    > a dos boot disk.
    >

    > Side Note for nonobaddog.-I don't appreciate your comment. You need
    > to read your post again.

    >>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:58:36 +1000, Peter Wilkins
    >><wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:43:07 -0700, Lou <llrost@NO_SPAMqnet.com> wrote
    >>:
    >>
    >>>I've been using Drive Image 2002 with XP Home and now with SP2.
    >>>
    >>>Recently found out PowerQuest was acquired by Symantec. At some time
    >>>I will have to replace Drive Image. Tried to seach Symantec site for
    >>>info on Ghost. Not having much success.
    >>>
    >>>1. Is there a website to get detailed info on Ghost?
    >>
    >>Yes.
    >>http://www.symantec.com/
    >>>
    >>>I specifically want to know if Ghost supports networked drives and
    >>>does it provide the means to create a DOS boot disk with TCPIP drivers
    >>>supporting networked drives to recover system in event of HDD crash?
    >>>I am doing all this with Drive Image 2002.
    >>>
    >>I don't know about earlier versions of Ghost, but I am successfully
    >>using Ghost 2003 to backup images to network drives. I assume later
    >>versions of Ghost will do it too. I use XP Pro.
    >>
    >>There is a slight complication with Ghost 2003- the network drive that
    >>you want to backup to has to be mapped on the computer being backed
    >>up, but that's pretty easy to do, so it just appears as another
    >>lettered drive on the computer being backed up.
    >>I use Y and Z for the two partitions I alternately backup to.
    >>
    >>I can read the images from the network using Ghost Explorer and easily
    >>and quickly restore individual files if needed rather than the whole
    >>image. That's a real pain to do using multidisc DVD or CD images.
    >>
    >>I do find backup not fully reliable via my WiFi (11M) - sometimes it
    >>has failed part way through the image. So when I want to do a backup
    >>I plug in the wired ethernet link (100M) and have never had problems
    >>with that.
    >>
    >>You can create a networked boot floppy - if you have a floppy drive.
    >>I had to buy a USB external one as my laptop didn't have one, just in
    >>case I ever need it, but it's a bit belt and braces as you can also
    >>create bootable DVD or CD images from Ghost. I keep a bootable DVD
    >>image backup handy, that I can use to get the system back up, then I
    >>can restore from the latest network image over the network.
    >>
    >>So the floppy is really redundant but it came with a multi card
    >>reader/writer covering the three cards I use (CF, SD and SM) so I
    >>figured it was worth it.....

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:53:05 -0400, Barry Watzman
    <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote :

    >Personally, I think that Drive Image -- both versions -- are better than
    >Ghost, and I expect that Ghost will disappear, but that DI will be able
    >to read Ghost backups.

    I'm told that Acronis True Image 8 is better than both of them, but I
    haven't tried it myself.
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:31:58 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
    wrote :

    >Peter,
    >I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
    >it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
    >a dos boot disk.

    Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
    successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
    I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
    Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
    Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
    floppy!

    I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
    so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
    some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
    with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
    up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
    who knows?
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
    floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
    however).

    wrote :

    >Peter,
    >I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
    >it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
    >a dos boot disk.

    Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
    successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
    I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
    Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
    Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
    floppy!

    I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
    so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
    some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
    with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
    up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
    who knows?
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:49:20 +0200, "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> wrote:

    >Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
    >floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
    >however).

    That what I said.

    I think it may be the last or the only version of ghost that does
    this.

    Greg R
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:49:20 +0200, "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> wrote :

    >Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
    >floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
    >however).

    Yes I know, I'm using it now. I said I had not used earlier versions
    with NTFS, because I was using FAT then.
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    Greg R wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:49:20 +0200, "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> wrote:
    >

    >>Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
    >>floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
    >>however).
    >

    > That what I said.
    >
    > I think it may be the last or the only version of ghost that does
    > this.
    >
    > Greg R
    1.I know Ghost 7 can restore an NTFS partition.
    2.Image files can be created onto CDs..........
    3.The restore CD #1 can be bootable.......
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    you must set the command line to make a image sector by sector...
    "Pivert" <pivert@be.me> escreveu na mensagem
    > Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
    > floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
    > however).
    >
    > "Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> a écrit dans le message
    > de
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:31:58 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
    > wrote :
    >
    >>Peter,
    >>I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
    >>it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
    >>a dos boot disk.
    >>
    > Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
    > successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
    > I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
    > Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
    > Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
    > floppy!
    >
    > I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
    > so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
    > some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
    > with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
    > up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
    > who knows?
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Peter Wilkins

  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:58:57 -0300, "Alessandro" <asartor@iscc.com.br>
    wrote:

    >you must set the command line to make a image sector by sector...

    No need to do that. I use ghost 2003.
    If you used image sector by sector you would need over 50 cds.

    Greg R

    >"Pivert" <pivert@be.me> escreveu na mensagem
    >> Norton Ghost 2003 can very well restore NTFS partitions and does it from
    >> floppy and is not yet driveimage based ( driveimage based is version 9
    >> however).
    >>
    >> "Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@ozemail.com.au> a écrit dans le message
    >> de
    >> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:31:58 -0500, Greg R <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com>
    >> wrote :
    >>
    >>>Peter,
    >>>I think Ghost 2003 was the last version Symantec made. I also think
    >>>it is the only version that will restore & backup ntfs partition from
    >>>a dos boot disk.
    >>>
    >> Thanks for that info. I have used earlier versions of Ghost
    >> successfully but not over a network and not with NTFS partitions, and
    >> I'm not too keen to upgrade to later versions of the Ghosted-Drive
    >> Image or whatever combination it will be now Symantec has Drive Image.
    >> Particularly if they won't restore my NTFS partitions using the boot
    >> floppy!
    >>
    >> I'm currently evaluating Acronis True Image and it seems pretty good
    >> so far - and avoids the reversion to DOS altogether. I still have
    >> some reservations about backing up "in-use" files from within Windows,
    >> with the possibility that some files will have changed after backing
    >> up earlier ones, so you might not get a "True Image" after all, but
    >> who knows?
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Peter Wilkins