Lost product key but have disk

I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
the product key.

Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1

Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?

George
geos"at"goldrush"dott"com
7 answers Last reply
More about lost product disk

    if you happen to recover the product number...please write it on the disk
    and on you PC chassis with a good non erasable felt pen.......OK.....use the
    ole grey matter....

    ---

    george wrote:
    > I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the
    > box with the product key.
    >
    > Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
    >
    > Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
    > I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
    >
    > George
    > geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

    The Windows 25-character Product _Key_ (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, and someone has removed/destroyed the
    label, you should contact you the computer's manufacturer; although
    very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the Product Keys
    they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    It's not stored on the CD. Only on the orange/yellow stick the CD was in.
    If you still have XP installed, you can download one of many programs to
    reveal the CD used to install XP, but other than that, you may be out of
    luck. If you have a retail version, and proof-of-purchase i.e. receipt,
    charge card statement, etc, you can contact Microsoft about getting a new
    key.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    "george" <george@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
    > the product key.
    >
    > Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
    >
    > Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
    > I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
    >
    > George
    > geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

    Hi George,

    Go to http://www.magicaljellybean.com . Download Keyfinder v 1.41. Install
    it wherever you want. As I remember it installs a icon. If not make a new
    icon and when clicked it will show the number you want. Then write it on
    the disk or a safe place. Good luck,

    Old Geaser

    "george" <george@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
    > the product key.
    >
    > Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
    >
    > Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
    > I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
    >
    > George
    > geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

    ---

    george wrote:
    > I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box
    > with the product key.
    >
    > Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
    >
    > Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
    > I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
    >
    > George
    > geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Find Product Key [CD Key]
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Download an application called belarc advisor www.belarc.com Install the
    software and run the application (it is freeware). The software will take an
    inventory of all your hardware and software on your pc. When the list
    finally appears in your web browser scroll down to the section marked
    'software licences' Then look down the list for your copy of Windows XP. On
    the right of the entry you will see a list of numbers and then in brackets
    the 'key' number. make a note of the key number and keep it safe.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in

    > To recover a lost Product Key:
    >
    > If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    > Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    > Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    > haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    > of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    > Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    > be -- used for a re-installation.)
    >
    > If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    Excellent advise Bruce...made me go and check mine as I wasn't sure how
    this machine had been loaded...even though I still have the sticker on the
    box, but my disk was still shrink wrapped.(G)
    Your efforts are much appreciated.

    GJP

Microsoft Windows XP