Lost product key but have disk

September 4, 2004 9:17:03 PM

I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
the product key.

Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1

Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?

George
geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

More about : lost product key disk

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 12:29:19 AM

if you happen to recover the product number...please write it on the disk
and on you PC chassis with a good non erasable felt pen.......OK.....use the
ole grey matter....

---
September 5, 2004 12:29:57 AM

george wrote:
> I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the
> box with the product key.
>
> Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
>
> Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
> I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
>
> George
> geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

The Windows 25-character Product _Key_ (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, and someone has removed/destroyed the
label, you should contact you the computer's manufacturer; although
very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the Product Keys
they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH
September 5, 2004 12:30:25 AM

It's not stored on the CD. Only on the orange/yellow stick the CD was in.
If you still have XP installed, you can download one of many programs to
reveal the CD used to install XP, but other than that, you may be out of
luck. If you have a retail version, and proof-of-purchase i.e. receipt,
charge card statement, etc, you can contact Microsoft about getting a new
key.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"george" <george@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
> the product key.
>
> Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
>
> Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
> I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
>
> George
> geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:52:40 AM

Hi George,

Go to http://www.magicaljellybean.com . Download Keyfinder v 1.41. Install
it wherever you want. As I remember it installs a icon. If not make a new
icon and when clicked it will show the number you want. Then write it on
the disk or a safe place. Good luck,

Old Geaser

"george" <george@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
> the product key.
>
> Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
>
> Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
> I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
>
> George
> geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

---
September 5, 2004 5:40:53 AM

george wrote:
> I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box
> with the product key.
>
> Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
>
> Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
> I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
>
> George
> geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Find Product Key [CD Key]
http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Download an application called belarc advisor www.belarc.com Install the
software and run the application (it is freeware). The software will take an
inventory of all your hardware and software on your pc. When the list
finally appears in your web browser scroll down to the section marked
'software licences' Then look down the list for your copy of Windows XP. On
the right of the entry you will see a list of numbers and then in brackets
the 'key' number. make a note of the key number and keep it safe.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"george" <george@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have purchased windows xp for my desk top, but I threw away the box with
> the product key.
>
> Windows xp home edition upgrade ver 2002 service pack 1
>
> Where do I find the product key in my PC, or can you give it to me?
> I am unable to reinstall in my PC without it?
>
> George
> geos"at"goldrush"dott"com

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:03:27 AM

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in

> To recover a lost Product Key:
>
> If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
> Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
> Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
> haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
> of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
> Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
> be -- used for a re-installation.)
>
> If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

Excellent advise Bruce...made me go and check mine as I wasn't sure how
this machine had been loaded...even though I still have the sticker on the
box, but my disk was still shrink wrapped.(G)
Your efforts are much appreciated.

GJP
!