Sign in with
Your question

pci 64biot slots...

Last response: in Motherboards
November 11, 2002 8:00:35 PM

hi !
i need some help
i have got a Adaptec 29160 LP scsi adapter card and a old 40mb/sec drive to use (get used to as well) but im only have a 32bit pci slot which i believe to be really slowing down my scsi drive..
so the question i have for anyone and everyone, is do i have to get a dual cpu system, or is there for some ironic reason a single cpu motherboard that has a 64bit pci slot?
i really would like to be able to keep this card, as its everything i need for capturing video and having top nouch speed from a hard drive.. but as it stands it really slow and its driving me crazy not getting the best from it..
or do they do a 32bit pci card??? i have no idea about scsi, i saw it on ebay and it was a good buy from the prices that i was looking at.. please someone help me out here!!
also, just a quick question, would a dual cpu be better for a 9700 pro?
thanks to everyone for their help.. i look forward to some replys!

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...

More about : pci 64biot slots

a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2002 8:41:11 PM

It has to be a configuration problem or a slow drive. 32-bit PCI is 133MB/s, your drive is only 40MB/s max, and you can't even know from that information how fast it REALLY is for continuous data streams. Probably somewhere between 20MB/s and 33MB/s would be my guess.

Anyway, if you're not even seeing 20-33MB/s, you most likely have a configuration problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
November 12, 2002 6:54:43 AM

i just thought i would add that i 80 sca pin drive.. so i have to use an adaptor to use the drive, would this slow it down? im pretty sure i have u160 mb cables as i did ask about it when i bought them..
if you require any further information, please let me know..

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2002 7:30:09 AM

The best place to ask these types of questions would be in the hard drives forum, but I can answer this one-the extra connections can slow you down from higher speeds, but at only 40MB/s max, I doubt it has a large effect. I assume you have the cable terminated (or that there is termination on the adapter) since SCA drives don't have termination.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
November 12, 2002 7:39:32 AM

i do have it terminated.
the reason i ask about the adaptors for the drives, when i get a 68pin drive, would i have to use an adaptor for that too? or does it come with the power supply cable on it as well? the only reason that i ask, is just down to the speed issue, i want it as fast as i possibly can get.
i have to go to work now, but i will have a look at this when i get back..
i will email the place where i got the adaptors from and see what they say
thanks for your help!!

a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2002 8:43:34 AM

A 68-pin drive will have a power plug. There are other things to consider with SCSI, but I don't know all the tricks to optimizing it.

November 12, 2002 7:11:23 PM

i just want to try and get it to work at the speed its supposed too do so!!
its really bugging me that its so slow..
in 98 i get about 4mb/sec, from the drive, but from 2000 its about 8mbs/sec..
i just really want to find out the problem with it and just get it going as fast as i can..
i dont want to fork out £200 on a new drive and find its crap because of my cards config or something..
is there any place i can go to get the config/setup???

November 12, 2002 7:16:38 PM

are those numbers from some kind of benchmarking software?

wich one?
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2002 9:09:29 PM

Have I mentioned that there are some SCSI gurus in the Hard Drives forum?

OK, the things I know:
1.) SCSI cards should not use a PCI slot that shares an IRQ with ANYTHING. Sharing usually doesn't work at all, but when it does, the data stream gets broken up.
2.) I think you need to enable Synchonous data transfers
3.) You need to have 32-bit transfers enabled
4.) Your card should detect it at the right speed
5.) There are SCSI gurus in the Hard Drives forum.

November 12, 2002 11:29:11 PM

Quote:
I have got a Adaptec 29160 LP scsi adapter card and a old 40mb/sec drive to use (get used to as well) but im only have a 32bit pci slot which i believe to be really slowing down my scsi drive

Your card is 32 bit backwards compatable so this should not be an issue, exspecially with only one drive on the chain.

Quote:
do i have to get a dual cpu system, or is there for some ironic reason a single cpu motherboard that has a 64bit pci slot?

No you don't need a dual CPU system and to my knowledge there is no single CPU motherboard with 64 bit slots.

Quote:
would a dual cpu be better for a 9700 pro?
thanks to everyone for their help.. i look forward to some replys!

Depends on the application you are planning to run not the video card you plan on using.

Quote:
a old 40mb/sec drive to use

How old? What is the make and model number of the drive? When the scsi bios posts what mode does it show the drive running in? What type of cables and exactly what adapter are you using? Are you running in 8 bit or 16 bit mode ( you need to enter the SCSI bios for this)

ps. Why is this in the motherboard section?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
November 14, 2002 6:47:50 AM

yes they are from sandras file benchmark, and they are from hd tach benchmark also..

November 14, 2002 6:57:06 AM

im glad its not something to do with the card, although i have been told that when using a 64bit card on a 32bit slot there will be performance differences because its not using the 64bit pci bus.. i have no idea on that one... didnt think it would make such a difference..
as for the dual system thing, there are a few pci 32bit cards out there, for example the 19160 card, which is a 32bit card that supports ultra160. it could be something that im going to get along with a new scsi hard drive..
well i use games mostly, but when i have the drive and card sorted i will be capturing video and editing video, to a point.. so, is that a no?
the make and model of the drive is as follows..

seagate barracuda ST19171wc, i believe its a 9gig drive and its a 7200 rpm spin.. its 40mbs/sec and thats all i know of it..

i wouldnt have a clue about which im running it, because to me that information isnt there.. i couldnt see anything to do with that.. what would it be under?
the reason its in motherboards is because i wasnt sure where else to put it plus pci slots are on motherboards so i figure it was worth a shot of putting it in here.. i do apologise if this is wrong. (im not meaning to sound sarcastic or anything like that there..)
do you want me to write down the list of options i have in the cards bios, would that help?

November 14, 2002 1:09:57 PM

The ST19171wc is a vbery slow drive to begin with. You should see transfers in the range of around 15 MB/s.

Quote:
i wouldnt have a clue about which im running it, because to me that information isnt there.. i couldnt see anything to do with that.. what would it be under?

You need to access the SCSI cards bios. You should get a promt at post just after the SCSI bios apears telling you to hit alt+Q or something like that.

November 14, 2002 1:10:35 PM

The ST19171wc is a very slow drive to begin with. You should see transfers in the range of around 15 MB/s.

Quote:

You need to access the SCSI cards bios. You should get a prompt at post just after the SCSI bios apears telling you to hit alt+Q or something like that.

November 14, 2002 5:12:52 PM

For the price of that drive you can get a Faster ATA drive with much more capacity... I don't think there is any problem with the Adapter, try a seagate Chetah instead of a baracuda and keep the same adpater.
November 14, 2002 7:20:11 PM

here are my actually scsi bios options and settings..
im sorry theres a lot of them, but parhaps its easier to see and for me to understand, what does what..

bios settings for adaptec 29160lp scsi card

scsi bus interface definitions
host adapter scsi id 7
scsi paertiy checking enabled
host adapter scsi termination auto

additional options
boot device options - press enter
boot scsi id
boot lun number

scsi device config
sync transfer rate mb/sec
initiate wde negotitaion
yes
enable disconnection
yes
send start unit command
yes
enable write back cache
n/c
bios multiple lun support
no
include in bios scan
yes

advanced config options
reset scsi bus
enabled
display ctrl a messeage
enabled
extended bios tanslation
enabled
verbose/silent mode
verbose

host adaptor bios
enabled
domain validation
enabled
support removable disks iunder bios
disabled
bios support for bootable cd-rom
enabled
bios support for int13 extensions
enabled

November 14, 2002 7:20:55 PM

here are my actually scsi bios options and settings..
im sorry theres a lot of them, but parhaps its easier to see and for me to understand, what does what..

bios settings for adaptec 29160lp scsi card

scsi bus interface definitions
host adapter scsi id 7
scsi paertiy checking enabled
host adapter scsi termination auto

additional options
boot device options - press enter
boot scsi id
boot lun number

scsi device config
sync transfer rate mb/sec
initiate wde negotitaion
yes
enable disconnection
yes
send start unit command
yes
enable write back cache
n/c
bios multiple lun support
no
include in bios scan
yes

advanced config options
reset scsi bus
enabled
display ctrl a messeage
enabled
extended bios tanslation
enabled
verbose/silent mode
verbose

host adaptor bios
enabled
domain validation
enabled
support removable disks iunder bios
disabled
bios support for bootable cd-rom
enabled
bios support for int13 extensions
enabled

once again, im sorry for everything, but i thought it would be easier for me to do it this way.. thank you for all the help.. it really its appreatied

November 14, 2002 8:08:45 PM

i am having to buy another ide drive for myself anyway!! the cost of the scsi drives are very expensive, but you get what you pay for and at the end of the day, its s**t hot quick and it lasts longer than ide, plus its faster.
the thing with having another hard drive in the system is mainly for all the crap that i dont use that offen.. ie mp3s, music videos, maybe some odd programs or something.. thats why im going to try and get a 80 drive.. thinking of a maxtor 7200 ata133.. should be more than enough.. but hopefully, by the time i have the money, i should be able to get a 120gig!! that will be miles to much, but nevermind.. im not complaining!
i know the drive is old and quick slow, but i wasnt complaining at £30 for 4 of the same drive.. at the time it was a steal (so i thought) but when i finally got them, only two worked sadly..
anyway, thanks for the help and advice!!! :) 

November 14, 2002 8:29:36 PM

-------------------
the cost of the scsi drives are very expensive, but you get what you pay for and at the end of the day, its s**t hot quick and it lasts longer than ide, plus its faster.
-------------------

nice sales pitch! but I'm already sold to SCSI!

yet the BARACUDA 7200 RPM is slower than most recent 7200rpm ATA-100 hdS.
November 15, 2002 6:46:06 AM

what im going to try is to get a 36gig cheetah seagate drive @ 10k, and then have either a 80 or 120 gig ide hard drive for crap... ie everything and anything!
i will be using the scsi eventually for video editing and cature, so i will be needing its speed.. plus i might put a few games on there that need to be loaded up quickly!
never mind, just cant wait to get it sorted out thats all..

!