Sign in with
Your question

fps problem that i cant fix and its killing me (please HELP)

Last response: in Video Games
November 29, 2007 12:52:34 AM

ok ive been trying to figure out this problem since cod4 came out.

well i know this problem has nothing to do with my requirements for this game because ive checked system requirements lab and i pass recommended. everytime i join a server my fps is around 91 and within a minute or so it just drops to around 15-30fps and my game begins to be choppy. ive updated my drivers, disabled anti-firewall, checked for spyware, processor isn't overclocked, lowered all graphics and put my resolution to the lowest and nothing worked.

my pc isn't even a year old

please if someone has any idea or know what the problem could you please help!

incase you want to see my pc specs
CPU
Recommended: 2.4 GHz dual core or better
You Have: 2 processors running - Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.40GHz PASS
CPU Speed
Recommended: 2.4 GHz
You Have: 3.40 GHz PASS
System RAM
Recommended: 1 GB (2 GB for Windows Vista
You Have: 3.0 GB PASS
Operating System
Recommended: Windows XP/Vista only
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) PASS
Video Card
Recommended: 3.0 Shader Support recommended. Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better or ATI Radeon X1800 or better
You Have: Radeon X1950 Series (ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7240)) PASS
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 256 MB , You have - 512.0 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 , You have - 3.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 , You have - 3.0

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.6734 FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
DirectX Version
Recommended: 9.0c
You Have: 9.0c PASS
Sound Card
Recommended: Yes
You Have: ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver PASS
Sound Card Driver Version
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.1086 FYI: Your sound card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper sound card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
November 29, 2007 2:49:35 AM

does your framerate stay constant when playing in single player mode? if so, then you are almost certainly experiencing network problems.

Your setup should be running COD4 without a hitch.

If you do experience the slowdown in single player, then you should try reinstalling the game and reinstalling your drivers by using driver cleaner. do a google search for it.

i'm probably not the person to help you with network issues. there are other people on this board who know a lot more about them than i do, but here goes:

Make sure you have disabled ALL the firewalls you have running. (McAfee/Norton, etc AND Microsoft's built in firewall). You may have shut down one and not the other. Just for good measure, you should add COD4 to the allowed programs list in windows firewall.

It's also possible that a certain port you are trying to use is being blocked (here's where im not so sure)...you can try allowing access to the port, but i can't remember how, it's been a really long time since i had to do it.

One other important question: what kind of internet connection do you have, and how fast is is?

good luck and keep us posted.
November 29, 2007 2:59:06 AM

Quote:
does your framerate stay constant when playing in single player mode?

no it doesn't. the same thing happens in single player. it starts off good and then just goes to around 15-30fps.

Quote:
If you do experience the slowdown in single player, then you should try reinstalling the game and reinstalling your drivers by using driver cleaner. do a google search for it.

ok thanks i'll try that. would this one work?
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Quote:
One other important question: what kind of internet connection do you have, and how fast is is?

how could i check internet connect? but i dont think thats the problem since it seems fine and my ping in servers are low.

Related resources
November 29, 2007 3:55:23 AM

before we get to too much troubleshooting, find out if any other games have this kind of problem. and yes, that is the correct version of driver cleaner.

i ask about other games because if this problem is repeating itself through other applications, then you more than likely have a hardware problem. However, if you have no trouble running other games, then you could very well have experienced an installation problem

Make sure you have reinstalled the game with no background programs running and with your antivirus program disabled.
November 29, 2007 8:30:38 AM

You and I share the same problem, and I'm afraid to say that it's a tough one. I've tried almost everything to solve this issue, and nothing have worked so far. I've changed GPU, tried different matches of DIMM's, changed the amount of DIMM's, reinstalled drivers, reinstalled windows, installed a synch. fix for amd dual core for XP, and i'm afraid to say that nothing worked.

To answer the replies so far, for me it has never been about the internet connection since i run no firewalls, never have connection issues, and have no anti-virus program.

For me the problem also occurs when i play in singlemode.

The same problem occurs no matter what game u are running. I usually play WoW, but the problem repeats itself in WC3 aswell.

My computer contains:
Asus A8-VM SE (MB)
amd opteron 64 bit 1.8ghzx2
Asus GeForce 8600gt
2x1GB DDR

I run a fully updated windows xp sp2
November 29, 2007 10:01:33 AM

Sounds like a memory leak to me, could be in the graphics cards memory or could be in your systems… Just out of interest what do you have your graphics aperture set to?
November 29, 2007 10:38:26 AM

atm mine is set to 128, tried playing with 64 aswell. no difference
November 29, 2007 10:47:12 AM

What about your sound drivers? I think, based on the info you posted, you have onboard sound. Those drivers sometimes get updates from the manufacturer.

I guess another way to test this is by disabling sound in game, via a config file... if that is possible, I don't know, I don't have the game. But, some games let you do that, like Oblivion or Doom 3, etc... This one might too.

You would be suprised how much a bad sound driver or chipset can affect performance in certain games.
November 29, 2007 11:15:59 AM

rayzor said:
before we get to too much troubleshooting, find out if any other games have this kind of problem. and yes, that is the correct version of driver cleaner.

i ask about other games because if this problem is repeating itself through other applications, then you more than likely have a hardware problem. However, if you have no trouble running other games, then you could very well have experienced an installation problem

Make sure you have reinstalled the game with no background programs running and with your antivirus program disabled.

yes i tried it out on two other games and get the same problem as cod4 and i should be able to handle those games fine aswell.
November 29, 2007 11:43:09 AM

I'm no expert, but, it definitely sounds like a hardware problem to me. I'd run some memory, CPU and GPU stress tests/benchmarks. These will be able to tell you where your problem is.

I'm short of links to trusted programs and have little time, but I'm sure some of the good folks here will help you out. I'm betting on bad memory or heat issues. BTW, do you have your memory or GPU overclocked? If so, have you tried loading the BIOS/GPU defaults?
November 29, 2007 1:38:31 PM

sounds like you have a major hardware issue going. perhaps you both have the same motherboard. what are you using? (you may have to open your cases to find out)

sapii's post doesn't give me much hope. you may have defective motherboards or you may have the same model motherboard that has issues with COD4 and may be patched in the future.

Again, neither of you actually said you reinstalled the game, though I'm sure you did based on everything else you've done.

Let us know what motherboards you have and we'll take it from there.
November 29, 2007 2:11:28 PM

Set your graphics aperture to 512MB's then see if you still get the same problem, 128MB's is not enough for some games.
November 29, 2007 2:47:45 PM

pentium D 3.4GHz? X1950?

what PSU are you running?

isnt that a prescott core? I think you may be encountering heat issues. Get some better cooling on your CPU first before dishing out for replacing hardware. Heat on the northbridge, GPU, and CPU can cause the exact symptom you are describing, plus it would explain why your system rocks for all of. . .90seconds?

also, what other games are you getting the slowdown on?
November 29, 2007 3:49:02 PM

if it is indeed a prescott core, then overheating definitely wouldn't be out of the question.

and i agree with the person who mentioned the sound drivers. go into device manager and see if anything is awry, specifically the sound device, but look for any yellow exclamation mark icons that indicate a potential hardware problem.
November 29, 2007 5:16:44 PM

got same problem, e6600, tried with standard frequency (2.4GHz) and overclocked to 3.0, no difference

7950gx2, tried on both sli and dualview mode, no difference
tried different gfx settings no difference
2gb ddr2 800mhz
abit ab9 pro

processor core temp around 80c when playing, gfx core around 90c
i know those are a bit much, might they be causing it? they have been like that always though.
November 29, 2007 5:37:05 PM

riqu, those temps seem rather high. They very well could be the cause of your problems. Even if they aren't, you should do what you can to lower them, so your system doesn't die prematurely.
November 29, 2007 5:48:22 PM

O_o;;;;

ummm, where are you getting those temp readings? those are INCREDIBLY HOT for an E6600!!!

let's just say 65C on my prescott scared me. a C2D should be like. . .what? half that?
November 29, 2007 5:52:52 PM

rayzor said:
sounds like you have a major hardware issue going. perhaps you both have the same motherboard. what are you using? (you may have to open your cases to find out)

sapii's post doesn't give me much hope. you may have defective motherboards or you may have the same model motherboard that has issues with COD4 and may be patched in the future.

Again, neither of you actually said you reinstalled the game, though I'm sure you did based on everything else you've done.

Let us know what motherboards you have and we'll take it from there.

my motherboard is a FSB 1066 nForce 570 SLIT-A

i have reinstalled my game about 3 times (maybe 4)

shouldn't i still do the driver cleaner that could fix the problem?

Quote:
pentium D 3.4GHz? X1950?

isnt that a prescott core? I think you may be encountering heat issues. Get some better cooling on your CPU first before dishing out for replacing hardware. Heat on the northbridge, GPU, and CPU can cause the exact symptom you are describing, plus it would explain why your system rocks for all of. . .90seconds?

my psu is a 650watt. i have 3 cooling fans in my pc, isn't that enough? my temp stays around 86F

the other two games it caused problems on was command and conquer 3 demo and timeshift demo.

November 29, 2007 5:54:55 PM

I would to do a fresh install of your video drivers, after uninstalling the old and then cleaning with Driver Cleaner.
November 29, 2007 6:15:54 PM

killingem said:

Quote:
pentium D 3.4GHz? X1950?

my psu is a 650watt. i have 3 cooling fans in my pc, isn't that enough? my temp stays around 86F

the other two games it caused problems on was command and conquer 3 demo and timeshift demo.

86F for what? cpu temp? case temp? sounds like your case to me. I wouldn't expect to see something less than 10deg over ambient in a gaming situation unless you're liq cooling it.
November 29, 2007 6:49:46 PM

Im not sure if its the cpu or the case temperature but the temp gauge in the front of my case reads 88F. How can i find out the temp for my cpu?
November 29, 2007 8:05:22 PM

doesn't matter...86 is awfully hot even if it is the core itself. if it's the case, its even worse. could be that your cpu is throttling back its speed in response to the heat. Try opening your case and blowing a fan in there (while running games) and see if your problem is alleviated in any way.

and driver cleaner probably won't fix this problem, but never say never. you should use it if nothing else to ensure there are no driver issues.

tell us how the open case experiment works.

EDIT: could also be a result of your heatsink not being seated properly. if the open case/fan trick doesn't work, try removing and reinstalling your heatsink (don't forget you'll need to reapply thermal grease of some sort)
November 29, 2007 8:30:58 PM

lol. 86-88F. you're thinking C maybe? 85deg F = 29C which imo is pretty normal for a case temp, especially with a decent vid card and 1-2 HDDs.

at 88C, your CPU is possibly at shutdown temps. I think your case reading is just that. your case temp. you should have some software that came with your mobo that will give you all your temps.
November 29, 2007 8:40:07 PM

Serj said:
lol. 86-88F. you're thinking C maybe? 85deg F = 29C which imo is pretty normal for a case temp, especially with a decent vid card and 1-2 HDDs.
at 88C, your CPU is possibly at shutdown temps. I think your case reading is just that. your case temp. you should have some software that came with your mobo that will give you all your temps.

well it has C and F on it but im pretty sure its in F since i bought my pc from USA and i dont think they would use C instead of F.

lets say it is in F could it be any other problem?

i want to try and use driver cleaner but im not sure how it works. any idea how to use it after you download it.
November 29, 2007 11:41:31 PM

oh lol, did't realize you meant farenheit instead of celcius. still, are you absolutely sure it's farenheit? and still, it's possible your heatsink isn't seated properly.

as for driver cleaner, it's pretty self explanatory once you open it. just clean with ati, and select multiple filters to clean out any other ati software you may have.

once you have done that, go to amd/ati's website and download the latest drivers for your card and install them after you have rebooted your computer.

if that doesn't work, try to run the game with your case's side cover removed, and if that doesn't work, try to reseat the heatsink on the processor. good luck. let us know if any of this works.
November 30, 2007 12:47:03 AM

well, I'm only looking at this from the fact that your framerate tanks inside a minute. that, at least to me, indicates FAST heat buildup, sending the CPU into throttling, inadequate power, or problems swapping memory. given the amount of memory you already have, you still have vista with a memory leak? or heat. Software is A LOT more frustrating to diagnose when you don't know what's causing it.
November 30, 2007 1:36:32 AM

rayzor said:
oh lol, did't realize you meant farenheit instead of celcius. still, are you absolutely sure it's farenheit? and still, it's possible your heatsink isn't seated properly.

as for driver cleaner, it's pretty self explanatory once you open it. just clean with ati, and select multiple filters to clean out any other ati software you may have.

once you have done that, go to amd/ati's website and download the latest drivers for your card and install them after you have rebooted your computer.

if that doesn't work, try to run the game with your case's side cover removed, and if that doesn't work, try to reseat the heatsink on the processor. good luck. let us know if any of this works.

ok ill give it a shot and see what happens

btw on accident i cleaned one out called 3Dfx and deleted 3-4 files . how can i fix this?
-edit- well i did the driver cleaner and it didn't help any.

how do i reseat the heatsink on the processor?

Serj said:
well, I'm only looking at this from the fact that your framerate tanks inside a minute. that, at least to me, indicates FAST heat buildup, sending the CPU into throttling, inadequate power, or problems swapping memory. given the amount of memory you already have, you still have vista with a memory leak? or heat. Software is A LOT more frustrating to diagnose when you don't know what's causing it.

okay maybe i over exaderated a bit. it drops in around 5mins or so. i dont have vista
November 30, 2007 3:21:54 AM

I personally don't think it is a heat problem but believe it is related to thememory, but how to confirm or solve it i have no idea.

this theory since my GPU stays around 55c and CPU at 45c.

and this is clearly not a simple thing like a driver problem, i've tried everything one "normally" tries.
November 30, 2007 7:19:40 AM

From what I've read, I agree it's probably an overheating problem on the CPU and it's thorttling back. Check that the Heatsink is fitted correctly.
November 30, 2007 7:45:46 AM

Why not just disable throttling in the BIOs... But really people come on, heat amounts to about 1% of PC problems. 55c for the graphics card is very low for an ATi and 45c for the CPU is well within the manufacturers guideline temperatures, you only need to worry if it goes over 65c.

Sounds like a memory leak to me, best bet is to see what you have running in the background. Try disabling everything bar what is necessary for your system to keep running in your task manager.

If it is hardware then I would check your graphics aperture, 64MB’s is not enough. Games have been using more graphics memory than 512MB’s to store textures since DOOM3 came about. I would say because you have 3GB’s of memory you are best to go for 512MB’s graphics aperture. Which gives you a total of 1GB texture memory to play with. They don’t have a 2900XT with 1GB graphics memory for nothing you know.

But however if what you said about turning all the games settings to low is true and you have this problem on all games then it is more likely to be something other than the graphics aperture.
November 30, 2007 11:17:22 AM

cafuddled said:
Why not just disable throttling in the BIOs... But really people come on, heat amounts to about 1% of PC problems. 55c for the graphics card is very low for an ATi and 45c for the CPU is well within the manufacturers guideline temperatures, you only need to worry if it goes over 65c.

Sounds like a memory leak to me, best bet is to see what you have running in the background. Try disabling everything bar what is necessary for your system to keep running in your task manager.

If it is hardware then I would check your graphics aperture, 64MB’s is not enough. Games have been using more graphics memory than 512MB’s to store textures since DOOM3 came about. I would say because you have 3GB’s of memory you are best to go for 512MB’s graphics aperture. Which gives you a total of 1GB texture memory to play with. They don’t have a 2900XT with 1GB graphics memory for nothing you know.

But however if what you said about turning all the games settings to low is true and you have this problem on all games then it is more likely to be something other than the graphics aperture.

where do i go to change my graphics aperture?
November 30, 2007 11:52:55 AM

It's in your BIOS could be called a few different names, cant remember any off hand but it will be with a bunch of other settings to do with your graphics and will normally have the choice of 64MB, 128MB 256MB and so on. Normally coupled with some graphics interface settings and such.
November 30, 2007 12:05:09 PM

ok ill try that out when i get home. i press something like F2 when the pc is rebooting right?
November 30, 2007 1:23:26 PM

normaly delete, but it will tell you... normaly.
November 30, 2007 1:24:49 PM

well i guess those temps rule the overheating problem out, so long as that is actually the core temp and not just the temp of the air near the processor.

Memory leak is possible, though that is straying from my realm of knowledge.
November 30, 2007 6:02:53 PM

cafuddled said:
It's in your BIOS could be called a few different names, cant remember any off hand but it will be with a bunch of other settings to do with your graphics and will normally have the choice of 64MB, 128MB 256MB and so on. Normally coupled with some graphics interface settings and such.

well i enter one called Advanced BIOS Features and i dont know what one to click on next. i tried most of them but didn't lead me to any graphic aperture.

which one do i click on?

CPU Feature
Hard Disk Boot Priority
CPU L1 & L2 Cache
Quick Power On Self Test
First Boot Device
Second Boot Device
Third Boot Device
Boot Other Device
Swap Floppy Drive
Boot Up Floppy Seek
Boot Up NumLock Status
Gate A20 Option
Typematie Rate Setting
Security Option
OS Select For DRAM > 64MB
Small Logo (EPA) Show

there ar two other ones but cant use them.
November 30, 2007 6:36:18 PM

It might not be in the advanced bios features. Is there one called "peripherals" or something like that?
November 30, 2007 6:46:42 PM

yea its Integrated Peripherals and has

IDE Function
RAID Config
Onboard Device
Init Display First
IDE HDD Block Mode
November 30, 2007 6:50:53 PM

What is in Onboard Device?
November 30, 2007 6:54:49 PM

OnChip USB
USB Legacy Support
USB Mouse Support
Azalia Audio
Onboard Giga Lan
November 30, 2007 6:56:51 PM

I don't know. This might be one of those things you don't have access to, locked out of it. Every bios is a little different.
November 30, 2007 6:59:34 PM

well this sucks =(
November 30, 2007 7:11:44 PM

Honestly, I don't think it would have made much difference anyways. It is one of those things that typically doesn't help, but in some circumstances can make a small difference in performance.
November 30, 2007 7:29:56 PM

so then what could the problem be? if it was a memory leak how could i fix? should i call and have someone come here can check it out for themselves?
November 30, 2007 10:25:10 PM

Good evening. Try using a previous graphic card driver, "Roll Back" that device driver and see if the fps goes up.

I was wondering why, after updating my 8800GTS driver, Halo: Combat Evolved would dip down to 20 frames per second. I rolled back my driver to the previous version and the problem went away, now I have 150-200 frames per second like its supposed to.
December 1, 2007 3:17:59 AM

erik_tilton said:
Good evening. Try using a previous graphic card driver, "Roll Back" that device driver and see if the fps goes up.

I was wondering why, after updating my 8800GTS driver, Halo: Combat Evolved would dip down to 20 frames per second. I rolled back my driver to the previous version and the problem went away, now I have 150-200 frames per second like its supposed to.

ok ill try that but first i want to fix this other problem that just occured. i went under "sound" in device manager and one of them has a yellow exclamation mark meaning something is wrong. how can i fix this and get rid of the exclamation mark?

under device status is says

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device"

its ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver
December 1, 2007 3:34:23 AM

AH! This could potentially be a source of the problem. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download the correct audio drivers and reinstall them. Hopefully this will help in at least some way.
December 1, 2007 4:26:28 PM

i reinstalled the audio driver and it didn't work. and when i try to rollback my graphics driver it says

"no driver file has been backedup for this divice"
December 1, 2007 4:44:44 PM

Would reinstalling windows help in anyway?
Anyone? :??: 
!