Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

**HELP** - Soyo KT400 or Gigabyte KT400???

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Soyo
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Motherboards
November 12, 2002 3:44:59 AM

I have read the many reviews from this site, and many others regarding the differences between all the KT400 Motherboards. I have came down to 2... Soyo and Gigabyte. I weighed the Soyo KT400 Platinum with the Black edition to find that I don't care about the color nor do I care about the better sound on the Platinum due to I'm going to use an Audigy 2 anyways. Both the Platinum and Black have the same performance right?
I need some help when it comes to choosing one of these. Some rate the Gigabyte BETTER saying it actually takes a little advantage or at least the same effect using the DDR 400 compared to the predecessor, while the rest actually slow down due to using it. Some sites say DDR 400 has been dropped by manufactures so do I really care? One site makes it sound as if Soyo is trying to catch up to the other boards, (one listed Gigabyte) saying they did a good job doing it with this board. Let me tell you what I plan on putting on this board, and my thoughts. I already own the below except for the RAM and TV Card.

Alienware Case /w 360 Watt Power Supply (Do I need more power?)
Athlon XP 2400+
Radeon 9700
Audigy 2
512 DDR PC2700 Corsair or Kingston - (Which one do you think?)
Western Digital Special Edition 8 Meg Buffer 200 Gig HD
Benq 16X DVD-ROM
Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-Recorder
Belkim 3.5 Floppy
Maybe a TV Card.

I see that the downside of the Gigabyte is it pretty much doesn't overclock too well, nor has the 4 mounting holes on the motheboard for a HUGE fan. I don't plan on overclocking my machine anyways. So, should I buy one of those crazy fans anyways, or use the one that comes with my Retail XP 2400+ Processor? I bought the Retail one for $5 more due to I wanted the 3 year warrenty.

The Black Edition Soyo Dragon KT400 doesn't cost much more..money isn't an issue when it comes to $10-$50 difference.

I currently own a P3-533 with 384 Ram.. a 32 Meg TNT2 nVidia card... Win 98 SE...so I'm stepping up so I don't need to upgrade for a while.

I mainly surf the net, create and maintain websites, watch DIVX movies, convert Divx/AVI to Mpeg then to VCD to watch on my TV, burn CDs, use a TON of Photoshop opening 30-40 files up at a time being between 3 - 40 megs a pop, may do some video editing soon, will be sending my PC signal to my tv... and play the occasional game over the net.. and may get serious in playing some hardcore games.. my friends always drop off titles that require some processing power. I want the ability to go grab and play it without my system giving me crap. I would like to be ripping a CD, or converting/encoding a DIVX movie and surf the net at the sametime. I want to multi-task without slowdown. I don't want my Photoshop to stop letting me open files, or black out the toolbar because I ran out of memory.

I thank you all in advance for all of your help, time, and suggestions.

Todd F.

More about : soyo kt400 gigabyte kt400

November 12, 2002 12:55:24 PM

Retail box fans are more than OK if you don't plan on overclocking.

before you buy a KT400 board have a look at the Nforce2. it will not hurt you to look at it. AND you get the newest of all features: dual DDR
November 12, 2002 3:23:16 PM

you're right KT400 isn't stable enough, for a sytem as configured here i'd say go the extra few inches and take an asus A7N8X and an xp 2600+ so you have the 333MHZ FSB if you want to pay that much more for a new processor

anyway imo the NFORCE 2 chipset is definetly the way to go when buying a mobo for a highend amd system

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives
Related resources
November 13, 2002 4:10:55 AM

NForce 2 eh? I have not heard of it much so I need to do some homework. Thanks for the replies! I wonder if there are any reviews on the chipset, and if any boards are out.

Todd F.

Todd F.
November 13, 2002 10:17:12 AM

There are plenty of review online and the nForce2 is actually beat KT400 in EVERY aspect. Asus A7N8X and Chaintech Zenith 7NJS are both good boards while A7N8X is available now for retail. But if you can wait, I think KT400A will be released early next year and let's see what VIA will do to counteract nForce2...
However, if you still want to get a KT400, Gigabyte would be your choice since you'll upgrade it pretty soon so why don't you just get a cheaper one? ^_^'

Plug & Play? How about Plug & Pray!

November 13, 2002 9:02:34 PM

I recently bought a soyo board it was very unstable.
I tried calling there tech support, but the operator said that no such phone number exists.
And I tried emailing soyo, but they wont respond.
There bios and there driver updates are sketchy.
Soyo has had a problem with file transfers over 100mb from the cdrom to the harddrive. I would go with gigabyte over soyo any day.
November 13, 2002 9:51:09 PM

Where are you from? It seems that Soyo has bad customer services in your region.
BTW, you said Soyo KT400 has problem in R/W data at ATA133? What exactly happened?

Plug & Play? How about Plug & Pray!
November 13, 2002 10:06:29 PM

If my memory is correct, it's a VIA problem, not SOYO... other manufacturers have solved it, check out if soyo did.