OE win98 to OE winxp

My old computer runs win98. Outlook Express was set up with 3 different email
accounts for 3 family members.

My new computer runs winXPhe. 3 different user accounts for my 3 family
members. How can I transfer the 3 OE accounts to work on the 3 respective
user accounts. Some how I got it to work for my user account/OE account.

Please help me out or point me in the right direction.
Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about win98 winxp

    Hi,

    If you still have the Win98 installation, open OE, click tools/accounts. On
    the mail tab, click on the account you want, then on export. Create the
    file, then import this file under the user account you want on the WinXP
    system. The *.dbx files can simply be imported using file/import/messages.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My old computer runs win98. Outlook Express was set up with 3 different
    > email
    > accounts for 3 family members.
    >
    > My new computer runs winXPhe. 3 different user accounts for my 3 family
    > members. How can I transfer the 3 OE accounts to work on the 3 respective
    > user accounts. Some how I got it to work for my user account/OE account.
    >
    > Please help me out or point me in the right direction.
    > Thank you.

    OK. Does this also import the OE settings for that user? ie: user name,
    display name, password, pop/smtp settings, etc.. Or do i need to set up
    accounts as i did when i first used OE way back in the '90s

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you still have the Win98 installation, open OE, click tools/accounts. On
    > the mail tab, click on the account you want, then on export. Create the
    > file, then import this file under the user account you want on the WinXP
    > system. The *.dbx files can simply be imported using file/import/messages.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My old computer runs win98. Outlook Express was set up with 3 different
    > > email
    > > accounts for 3 family members.
    > >
    > > My new computer runs winXPhe. 3 different user accounts for my 3 family
    > > members. How can I transfer the 3 OE accounts to work on the 3 respective
    > > user accounts. Some how I got it to work for my user account/OE account.
    > >
    > > Please help me out or point me in the right direction.
    > > Thank you.

    Hi,

    Exporting those saves the account information, though you may need to
    recustomize the layout.

    --

    > OK. Does this also import the OE settings for that user? ie: user name,
    > display name, password, pop/smtp settings, etc.. Or do i need to set up
    > accounts as i did when i first used OE way back in the '90s
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If you still have the Win98 installation, open OE, click tools/accounts.
    >> On
    >> the mail tab, click on the account you want, then on export. Create the
    >> file, then import this file under the user account you want on the WinXP
    >> system. The *.dbx files can simply be imported using
    >> file/import/messages.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My old computer runs win98. Outlook Express was set up with 3 different
    >> > email
    >> > accounts for 3 family members.
    >> >
    >> > My new computer runs winXPhe. 3 different user accounts for my 3 family
    >> > members. How can I transfer the 3 OE accounts to work on the 3
    >> > respective
    >> > user accounts. Some how I got it to work for my user account/OE
    >> > account.
    >> >
    >> > Please help me out or point me in the right direction.
    >> > Thank you.

    Nutcase please help;
    I tried it just like you said:
    I started on my Win98 PC. Logged on to my wifes OE account. Clicked
    tools/accounts --> mail tab. I exported her account. The computer would only
    export it to Microsoft Outlook. So I opened Microsoft Outlook and it allowed
    me to export the settings to a file which I burned to a CD.
    Back on my WinXP PC. I logged on my wifes WinXP user account. Opened
    OE. Clicked tools/accounts --> mail tab --> new --> mail --> import. I
    imported the file from the CD I just burned. I went to the properties and
    everything looked good. I even had her re-enter her password. Every time I
    click on Send/Recieve I get and error about "wrong user name/password." I
    dont get it.
    Is the Microsoft Outlook part messing me up? Would a crossover cable
    make my life easier? Im about to give up on this. Please help!

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you still have the Win98 installation, open OE, click tools/accounts. On
    > the mail tab, click on the account you want, then on export. Create the
    > file, then import this file under the user account you want on the WinXP
    > system. The *.dbx files can simply be imported using file/import/messages.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My old computer runs win98. Outlook Express was set up with 3 different
    > > email
    > > accounts for 3 family members.
    > >
    > > My new computer runs winXPhe. 3 different user accounts for my 3 family
    > > members. How can I transfer the 3 OE accounts to work on the 3 respective
    > > user accounts. Some how I got it to work for my user account/OE account.
    > >
    > > Please help me out or point me in the right direction.
    > > Thank you.

    Hi Thomas,

    When you export, is it being saved as a .iaf file?

    --

    > Nutcase please help;
    > I tried it just like you said:
    > I started on my Win98 PC. Logged on to my wifes OE account. Clicked
    > tools/accounts --> mail tab. I exported her account. The computer would
    > only
    > export it to Microsoft Outlook. So I opened Microsoft Outlook and it
    > allowed
    > me to export the settings to a file which I burned to a CD.
    > Back on my WinXP PC. I logged on my wifes WinXP user account. Opened
    > OE. Clicked tools/accounts --> mail tab --> new --> mail --> import. I
    > imported the file from the CD I just burned. I went to the properties and
    > everything looked good. I even had her re-enter her password. Every time I
    > click on Send/Recieve I get and error about "wrong user name/password." I
    > dont get it.
    > Is the Microsoft Outlook part messing me up? Would a crossover cable
    > make my life easier? Im about to give up on this. Please help!
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If you still have the Win98 installation, open OE, click tools/accounts.
    >> On
    >> the mail tab, click on the account you want, then on export. Create the
    >> file, then import this file under the user account you want on the WinXP
    >> system. The *.dbx files can simply be imported using
    >> file/import/messages.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My old computer runs win98. Outlook Express was set up with 3 different
    >> > email
    >> > accounts for 3 family members.
    >> >
    >> > My new computer runs winXPhe. 3 different user accounts for my 3 family
    >> > members. How can I transfer the 3 OE accounts to work on the 3
    >> > respective
    >> > user accounts. Some how I got it to work for my user account/OE
    >> > account.
    >> >
    >> > Please help me out or point me in the right direction.
    >> > Thank you.

Computers User Accounts Windows XP