Bioshock: Overrated Game of the Year

summer_of_alvin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Well, I finally finished Bioshock for the PC. And I must say, that game has got to be one of the most overrated video games in history. It's not a bad game. On the contrary I felt it was a pretty good gaming experience... but nowhere near as good as all the reviews are making it out to be. Reading the reviews, I got the impression that this was some sort of ground breaking, earth shattering, revolutionary game. It's not.

Strictly in terms of gameplay, there wasn't much depth to it. I thought the level design was fairly mediocre, as the game suffers from typical console-itis. Small, compartmentalized levels. Mostly linear. Hardly any open areas at all. A lot of backtracking to mask the small size of the levels.

And although the art design was pretty good, it was very repetitive. Honestly, 99% of the game had the exact same look. Once you've played the first level of Rapture, you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer --- in terms of graphics (and in terms of gameplay too). I could look at countless screen shots, and I'd have a hard time differentiating between levels. The only ones that stood out were the very beginning of the game (crash site to first bathysphere ride) and maybe the arboretum level. It's not at all like Half-Life 2 or Deux Ex or Thief, where each level felt unique.

The "shooter" aspect of this first-person shooter left a lot to be desired too. Weapons were mostly boring and underpowered. It's disheartening to see ordinary monsters withstand 2-3 direct hits from a fully upgraded shotgun at close range. Sometimes it takes me nearly an entire clip of machine gun or chemical thrower ammunition to take down two splicers. It didn't take me long to realize that my Wrench could dispatch my enemies far more efficiently than any other weapon. As for the enemies, I think there's always the same 5 or 6 enemies coming at you for the entire game. Not a lot of variety at all. I would've classified the "shooter" aspect of Bioshock as extremely poor, except the Plasmids managed to save the game from becoming too boring. These plasmids (ie special powers) at least manage to make the game more fun.

The game mechanics doesn't have a lot of depth to it either. Stealth is poorly done. Although there are many ways to kill your foes, but there's almost always only one way to finish the level. The "hacking" part of the game is really the exact same minigame played over and over and over from the beginning to the very end. There's hardly any variety to the gameplay. Half Life 2 was a great game. So was Deus Ex. So was Thief. The Last Express. Fallout. Planescape Torment. Grand Theft Auto. Those were games that transcended their respective genres. Bioshock, on the other hand, is a one-trick-pony. It's a mediocre shooter turned into a decent game by great presentation, thought-provoking storyline, and superb voice acting.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate this game an 8. Good game, but not nearly as good as people make it out to be.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I liked the storyline, that was what drew me in and made me love the game (although I will admit, the wrench ended up being my weapon of choice)

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I think it is overrated...but Halo3 more so...

The game engine is too fast, its based on the UT engine...it should have a more CoD feel...it just plays too quickly I feel.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I personally refuse to purchase this game because of the SecuROM feature. I don't feel that I should be limited to only 5 installs. That is complete BS in my opinion. I have heard the storyline is great and so are the graphics, but nothing else.

kugelfang

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
your actually right

it was an amazing game and i was all hyped up about it and i finished it 3 times in a week and then - forgot all about it... it was sort of boring when i think of it now

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I completely agree though I would give it an 8 if it had a multiplayer...even if it was just tacked on. I give it a 7 at best. But it was a good story.

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I disagree...Halo was not nearly as overrated, but rather over marketed. The game hit almost exactly where I though it would. I planned on giving it a personal 9 or so, but it hit more around an 8 - an 8.5. I am looking forward to new maps on the 11th.

Best,

3Ball

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
lol funny video

im guessing you either never heard of, or play it, or never read anything, but what about hellgate london?? I had fun with bioshock, but damn hellgate demo was so frakin boring. PC gamer gave a like 90% while everyone else 75-80%..

The mini game hacking was so-so, you could freeze the turret or whatever and it would go slower, etc.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Well, I see people grading this game on a hundred or out of 10 and so on.

Basically, Bioshock is like a great one night stand. You play it for all its worth... but when you wake up the next morning you know its the last time you'll ever play this game again. You say your goodbyes and do it all over again with someone else (Crysis).

It was fun at the time but we've moved on months ago.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I think I'll ask this because it's been on my mind for months, since the game's release.

In the TV commercials for advertising BioShock, they played a song in the background. I believe the chorus went something like this, "And we'll go sailllling." Or something like that. Does anyone know the name of the song?

acucrack

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Frank Sinatra - Somewhere Beyond The Sea Lyrics

Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waitin' for me
My lover stands on golden sand
And watches the ships that go sailin'

Somewhere beyond the sea
She's there watchin' for me
If I could fly like birds on high
Then straight to her arms I'd go sailin'

It's far beyond the star
It's near beyond the moon
I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon

We'll meet beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be, beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailin'

***INSTRUMENTAL BREAK***

I know beyond a doubt,
My heart will lead me there soon
We'll meet, I know we'll meet
Beyond the shore
We'll kiss just as before
Happy we'll be, beyond the sea
And never again I'll go sailin'

(No more sailin')
(So long sailin')
(Byebye sailin')

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Yes Bioshock was overhyped, but I still thought it was pretty good. One of the more immersive stories for a while. And I think one of the best PC games to come along in quite a while. Crysis was the big let down for me, but that's another story...

tomdrum

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I thought everyone knew that song?

As for the game i havnt played it, but after reading this dont think i will lol.

And i think halo (1+2) lived up to all my expectations =) havnt played 3 yet though, but im sure it wont dissappoint.

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I thought bioshock was going to be a sophisticated game, like deus-ex or system shock 2.

Instead it was a stupid little charming shooter where everyone went psycho. It was kinda neat, but after playing it for awhile I just wanted to go play a REAL game, one that didn't feel so childish and inconsequential.

So I think I was really letdown by bioshock. Because it had the highest reviews for a game I had ever seen, I was expecting a game with more meat on its bones. It wasn't that bad, but it was completely undeserving of the revolutionary praise it recieved from video game reviewers.

sailer

Splendid

Nice song. If I ever find a woman that will make my heart stop roaming the sea, I'll know that she must be one heck of a woman. In the meantime, as much as I can, I keep sailing.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

The wikipedia Bioshock article has the list of all the songs that play in the game..
In BioShock, the player encounters phonographs that play music from the 1940s and 1950s as background music. The following is a list of all 30 licensed music tracks that can be heard during the game:[126]

Tracks
20th Century Blues - Noel Coward
Academy Award - Stanley Black
Avalon - Django Reinhardt
Bei Mir Bist Du Shein - The Andrews Sisters
The Best Things in Life Are Free - The Ink Spots
Beyond the Sea - Bobby Darin
Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? - Bing Crosby
Danny Boy - Mario Lanza
God Bless The Child - Billie Holiday
(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window? - Patti Page
If I Didn't Care - The Ink Spots
It Had to Be You - Django Reinhardt
It's Bad for Me - Rosemary Clooney
Jitterbug Waltz - Fats Waller
Just One Of Those Things - Lee Morgan
Just Walking In The Rain - Johnnie Ray
La Mer (Beyond the Sea Instrumental) - Django Reinhardt
Let's Fly Away - Lee Wiley
Liza - Django Reinhardt
Night and Day - Billie Holiday
Papa Loves Mambo - Perry Como
Please Be Kind - Django Reinhardt
The Party's Over Now - Noel Coward
Waltz of the Flowers - Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky
This is a Changing World - Noel Coward
Wild Ride - Faux Frenchmen
World Weary - Noel Coward
Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams - Bing Crosby
You're getting to be a Habit - Harry Edison/Bing Crosby
You're the Top - Cole Porter[126]

The one you were looking for I guess is just in the tv ads.