svchost, so many instances!

jeevan

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

hi,

On my laptop I run winXP pro.
Discovered in the task manager that many instances
of 'SVCHOST' are executing simultaneously and subsequently
figured out that it is the result of many services.

I use my laptop, solely for personal use (& entertainemnt).
It is not connected to any lan - except I use dial-up to
browse the net.

So I figured I can stop some services (and run manually
whenever required) and free up some memory - so would
appreciate a link which gives some documentation on
svchost. - In other words which all services I can safely
turn to 'Start-Manually'.

thks
g1

map

"Jeevan" wrote:

> hi,
>
> On my laptop I run winXP pro.
> Discovered in the task manager that many instances
> of 'SVCHOST' are executing simultaneously and subsequently
> figured out that it is the result of many services.
>
> I use my laptop, solely for personal use (& entertainemnt).
> It is not connected to any lan - except I use dial-up to
> browse the net.
>
> So I figured I can stop some services (and run manually
> whenever required) and free up some memory - so would
> appreciate a link which gives some documentation on
> svchost. - In other words which all services I can safely
> turn to 'Start-Manually'.
>
> thks
> g1

This is an excellent site for what services you can disable.A word of
caution,write down everything you disable or chande to manual,just in case.

This site will discribe what svchost.exe is and everything else.
http://answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm