how to run games from a virtual drive

dav_man

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I need to know how to make games recognize disc images mounted in virtual drives on my computer. they will install from the drives, but will not play from the drives. I am using Alcohol 120%, but Battlefront 2 and other games will not run from the virtual drive. Is there any way to fix this?

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Yes there is, but I don't think it's allowed to be discussed on the forum. Search the net, you'll easily find the way.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
IDK about not being allowed to, so long as he has legitimately bought it and there is some issue with the disc or something, but if it's piracy, screw you, go and get a job and buy it, support the product

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Specifically, some of the more intrusive DRM blacklists virtual drive software.

Personally, I feel that any software that abridges my ability to decide what software does or does not run is not acceptable.

Showing how to circumvent DRM is a DCMA violation, and is therefore probably not allowed here.

However, the makers of virtual drive software may feel that this is a compatibility issue. I would recommend contacting the maker of your virtual drive software.

This is all I will say on this topic.

dav_man

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
well i bought the games legally, so i dont see why i cant run them on a virtual drive. I mean, the copies made are not being distributed, so I should be able to do with them what i want, as long as i do not sell/distribute the copies, right?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
You'll have to be careful with emulation software. Whether your using it legally or not, there are games being made that will not install, period, if any emulation software is detected on the PC. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so I'm not going to say any more.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
If you really did buy them legally, go to www.gamecopyworld.com download the image for the game, unrar it and mount it. Nothing illegal with that, I do it because i always lose the disks.

aquabot

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
you know i have the same darn problem and it's really chappin' my rear. it's mounted but it's like my computer doesn't look in my virtual drives for the game. if some one could help me with this, they would be a most cool dude.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Slysoft makes Game Jackal which I feel should be embraced by all the Gaming Developers. Most Gamers would like to just put the disk in, have it fully install, and then just put the Disk on our shelf. If the Gaming Developers embraced Game Jackal they could use the software as a form of DRM and give the players a choice like they want.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

I know nothing about game jackal but I do know that I hate having to swap disks to change games, and risk damageing the games through normal play, lowering their potential life span... (I do like going back and playing ancient games).

I have no pirated software and no pirated media, yet I became a "criminal" in the UK for convenience sake by ripping my extensive legally purchased music collection onto the computer (no fair use policies over here) so as to preserve the original media and make it far more convenient to use, no more swapping cd's I can have all my tracks on shuffle... - I have no real issues saying this publicly as the prime minister of this country was caught out doing this and made no apologies. Apparantly usefullness and user friendliness are criminal desires...

I far prefer to install a game once every time I need to resetup a PC, and then leave the disk on the shelf knowing I can go back to it in perfect condition in 10 years time (I play games which are even older than that at times :D )

DRM that interferes only with legal users is a major annoyance...

Well I have used Alcohol 120% for a loooong looong time. Use it to burn stuff. What you need is to know what security it has on it and rip the game disk using that specific one.

I have heard of this and think its complete and utter bull hockey crappiness. I like using virtual drives. I can load a new disc much faster than using a real drive. Plus its none of their dam business what software I have decided to install on MY PC.

G

I quite agree with Jimmy's post,
all the guy wanted to know was why the game would not locate the virtual drive and run from it. and it is his own game after all.
all these 'self righteous' idiots have not even bothered to read his question, going on like they have never done anything illegal in pc world.
My view is, if you don't have a direct soloution to what is a legitimate problem, then keep your damned opinions to yourselves, could save a lot of wasted reading time.

bjazz :fou:

As its his own game, this method is perfectly legal.

What format is the disk image? Bin/Cue is my perferred (for various emulation issues), although ISO and CCD are well supported (less so for mds/mdf).

Secondly, if all else fails, try Deamon Tools (even though most every game blacklists it at this point :p)

TRENDING THREADS