  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
June 2, 2004 3:17:32 PM

Hi All,

We are about to replace all our hardware - 15 servers / 150
workstations / 15 notebooks

We have similar spec'd quotes from Dell and HP .

Does one perform better than the other?
Is one less reliable?
Which is percieved as the better quality brand?

Any experience or advice regarding this would be really helpful...

Thanks,

David Henderson.

More about : dell difference

Anonymous
a b α HP
June 2, 2004 3:17:33 PM

On the whole, Dell workstations and notebooks are better made and more reliable
in my experience. For servers, you can probably flip a coin, but a package deal
with better across-the-board discounts may make an all-Dell buy more attractive.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:17:32 +1000, David Henderson <dave_hendo@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We are about to replace all our hardware - 15 servers / 150
>workstations / 15 notebooks
>
>We have similar spec'd quotes from Dell and HP .
>
>Does one perform better than the other?
>Is one less reliable?
>Which is percieved as the better quality brand?
>
>Any experience or advice regarding this would be really helpful...
>
>Thanks,
>
>David Henderson.

Anonymous
a b α HP
June 2, 2004 8:14:27 PM

David Henderson wrote:

> We are about to replace all our hardware - 15 servers / 150
> workstations / 15 notebooks
>
> We have similar spec'd quotes from Dell and HP .
>
> Does one perform better than the other?

Certainly not.

> Is one less reliable?
> Which is percieved as the better quality brand?

Well, we have bunches of Servers and Workstations from Dell, HP and IBM.
Dell is good but doesn't reach the quality level of HP. We have very good
experience with HP service and good experience with Dell service. However, I
also know that for smaller companies that don't spend as much money as we do
the Dell service is mostly terrible...

When I had to choose between similar priced and spec'd systems from HP and
Dell I'd always choose HP.

Benjamin
a b α HP
June 3, 2004 1:40:32 AM

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message
> David Henderson wrote:
>
> > We are about to replace all our hardware - 15 servers / 150
> > workstations / 15 notebooks
> >
> > We have similar spec'd quotes from Dell and HP .
> >
> > Does one perform better than the other?
>
> Certainly not.
>
> > Is one less reliable?
> > Which is percieved as the better quality brand?
>
> Well, we have bunches of Servers and Workstations from Dell, HP and
IBM.
> Dell is good but doesn't reach the quality level of HP. We have very
good
> experience with HP service and good experience with Dell service.
However, I
> also know that for smaller companies that don't spend as much money
as we do
> the Dell service is mostly terrible...
>
> When I had to choose between similar priced and spec'd systems from
HP and
> Dell I'd always choose HP.
>
> Benjamin

Now in state government it is the opposite. Many years ago we had
HP's and Compaq's and even Gateway's and old cheapo brands like Hertz
and they were terrible. With Dell we have overnight repairs either on
site or express next business day replacement of parts. Since we have
been using the Dells we have had zero down time and the units are high
quality and trouble free. In the days of old we used old IBM PC/AT
units and they were as you stated good units.

For the work place today your best bet is the Dell's. HP still has the
worst industry wide grade for support both to business and home users.
They are sort of like the old Packard Bells when it comes to
reliability and support. Its best to pass them by.

And I own one of their laptops. It works no thanks to HP and their non
support. I bought it because it was on sale. Even at $1200 it is not a
bad machine after the consumer has to shell out more money to have it
repaired properly and not via HP.

Elector
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 2:39:40 PM

We use Dell and Compaq at work, and I use Dell at home. I believe the Dell
machines are better made, and have not had a problem with one in over 5
years. I dis-like HP customer service, and the overall attitude of HP
towards their customers, both from the computer division, and the Agilent
instruments division. That would lead me to buy Dell.
"David Henderson" <dave_hendo@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> We are about to replace all our hardware - 15 servers / 150
> workstations / 15 notebooks
>
> We have similar spec'd quotes from Dell and HP .
>
> Does one perform better than the other?
> Is one less reliable?
> Which is percieved as the better quality brand?
>
> Any experience or advice regarding this would be really helpful...
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Henderson.

June 28, 2013 5:47:46 PM

download and install new disks recieved on 1yr and 11month old system that did not work properly out of box been on phone 8 hrs today plus 7 two days ago fud up with dell completely!!!!
!