Verizon vs. Alltel

Hello, I am a Cingular TDMA customer, and I am considering switching
cell phone companies. I am looking at Verizon or Alltel, because their
CDMA networks cover more areas than the GSM networks of Cingular,
Nextel, and T-Mobile, or what I was lead to believe.

I know that when Verizon isn't available, I will roam on Alltel and
vice versa, so what makes them different from one another?

Thanks

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

I don't know if you are going to use your laptop with your phone
or not. But, Verizon has Mobile Office which allows one to use
their digital nets with the same time arrangements as your voice
plans. Only 14.4 but a little faster with their compression software.
I don't know if Alltel offers that. VZW has pretty good coverage
too. However, VZW roams with several including Sprint. And,
I always like to have one with analog inasmuch as when traveling
may have to roam where there is no CDMA. Luck

Darrius,
The differences are small. Verizon is a larger company and offers more
features and plans. Alltel, being smaller, doesn't offer quite as many
technical features.

Note that both carriers allow roaming on other networks besides each other
to offer coverage in even more places. Alltel users are very satisfied with
their service, and in some areas of the country, they are superior to all
others.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"Darrius" <langst_d@music.fsu.edu> wrote in message

> I know that when Verizon isn't available, I will roam on Alltel and
> vice versa, so what makes them different from one another?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Darrius" <langst_d@music.fsu.edu> wrote in message
> Hello, I am a Cingular TDMA customer, and I am considering switching
> cell phone companies. I am looking at Verizon or Alltel, because their
> CDMA networks cover more areas than the GSM networks of Cingular,
> Nextel, and T-Mobile, or what I was lead to believe.
>
> I know that when Verizon isn't available, I will roam on Alltel and
> vice versa, so what makes them different from one another?
>
> Thanks

The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home territory
(they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that is
local for your area.

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:20:56 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>"Darrius" <langst_d@music.fsu.edu> wrote in message
>> Hello, I am a Cingular TDMA customer, and I am considering switching
>> cell phone companies. I am looking at Verizon or Alltel, because their
>> CDMA networks cover more areas than the GSM networks of Cingular,
>> Nextel, and T-Mobile, or what I was lead to believe.
>>
>> I know that when Verizon isn't available, I will roam on Alltel and
>> vice versa, so what makes them different from one another?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home territory
>(they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that is
>local for your area.

They do overlap in many areas, especially in the Carolinas; Alltel and
Verizon are the A and B side players here in Greenville SC.

I like Alltel; their Total Freedom gives free nights/weekends that
Verizon's NSR doesn't. The America's Choice and National Freedom
plans are very comparable.

I have a good friend with Verizon with whom I often travel here within
both "home" areas; we each have spots where one phone doesn't work and
the other does. I miss a little more than he does.

If all one needs is a local (NC/SC) plan, you get more for your money
from Alltel ... right now.

jeff

> The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home territory
> (they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that is
> local for your area.

They do overlap in Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland Michigan.

-Jeff

jeff <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home territory
>> (they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that is
>> local for your area.
>>

> They do overlap in Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland Michigan.

And Cleveland, Akron/Canton and Ashtabula, Ohio.

Tampa Bay area, also, overlap. Alltel is better here.

"jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home
territory
> > (they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that
is
> > local for your area.
> >

> They do overlap in Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland Michigan.
>
> -Jeff

Mike

Splendid

On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:14:14 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>> They do overlap in Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland Michigan.
>
>And Cleveland, Akron/Canton and Ashtabula, Ohio.

And Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC (aka "The Piedmont
Triad").

Mike

On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:13:49 -0400, Mike <inundated9@yahoo.com> wrote:

>And Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC (aka "The Piedmont
>Triad").

....and Raleigh, and Charlotte, and the Greenville-Spartanburg area,
and Columbia, and Augusta, and Savannah, and Albany GA, and Panama
City, and Montgomery, and Dothan, and Pensacola, and Jacksonville, and
most of New Mexico and Arizona, and the Tri-Cities of Tennessee... ;)

There is indeed a lot of overlap between VZW and ALLTEL.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

TGW

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

And in Myrtle Beach, SC -- in Myrtle Beach, VZW's new 1900 MHz all digital
build-out is far superior to Alltel...

"jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home
territory
> > (they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that
is
> > local for your area.
> >

> They do overlap in Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland Michigan.
>
> -Jeff

That must be new since I was roaming in Myrtle Beach during all of February
when I was working there.

- Mark

"tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:

>And in Myrtle Beach, SC -- in Myrtle Beach, VZW's new 1900 MHz all digital
>build-out is far superior to Alltel...
>
>"jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mark W. McClure
mrkmcclure@excite.com

Have bothg Alltel and Verizon in Appleton, WI

--
All Email is scanned and
declared Virus free by
"George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Darrius" <langst_d@music.fsu.edu> wrote in message
> > Hello, I am a Cingular TDMA customer, and I am considering switching
> > cell phone companies. I am looking at Verizon or Alltel, because their
> > CDMA networks cover more areas than the GSM networks of Cingular,
> > Nextel, and T-Mobile, or what I was lead to believe.
> >
> > I know that when Verizon isn't available, I will roam on Alltel and
> > vice versa, so what makes them different from one another?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> The main difference for you will be what carrier is in your home territory
> (they don't overlap) and if you are interested in having a number that is
> local for your area.

TRENDING THREADS